Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Steve Smith
Larry Stone
Andrew Ellis
Tony Muhammad
Greg Schmidt
Dan Walter
Chris Hensley

Y'all can't forget the track director!! I get 2 free laps head start, right?
Old 11-30-2005, 06:41 PM
Tech Elite

And of course everyone has seen the new X-Ray T2!!
Just after everyone got the FK05, they come out with a completly new car with almost no part carry over, go figure!
Old 11-30-2005, 09:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 103 (98%+)

Originally Posted by chensleyrc1
And of course everyone has seen the new X-Ray T2!!
Just after everyone got the FK05, they come out with a completly new car with almost no part carry over, go figure!

Welcome to XRAY.....
Happens once a year like clock work!

Not sure if the new car will be faster on the track, but it'll definately be faster to repair.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:31 PM
Tech Elite

I hear ya, I just hope they make parts for the FK05 a while.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:50 PM
Tech Elite

sps3172 - Are you suggesting that we give up foam tire racing in favor of rubber tire? I know that two completely different setups would be required (case against trying to run both classes with 1 car).
No, this would be an alternative class to the stock foam. You could run either stock foam or 19T rubber. At this point it would be hard to support both unless we start having larger turnouts. I suspect the 19T class would be small initially.

The last point worth considering in terms of switching to rubber tires is this. If anyone has interest in attending a big carpet race somewhere, it seems that the classes that matter still compete on foam tires. I know that they have run the occational rubber tire class but last I checked (and I could be wrong), the big TC classes (mod, stock, masters) still run foam tires. If guys were racing at home on rubber, it would be the same as trying to improve your golf swing at the batting cages.
More and more the larger races are starting to run a rubber class. The Las Vegas IIC even had a rubber class. Even the little All Star Carpet Classic series that Andrew and I go to have a rubber class. Yes, the big dogs all run the foam class, however the rest of the world and the Worlds Big Dogs all run rubber whether it be on asphalt or carpet. Besides, who plans on going to a big race? If a group decide to we could always go back to stock foam for a few races to get up to speed.

BiggAlz - besides needing a decent set up, you have to learn some control ,with foam you have their great traction to lean on,so you can blast a turn and mash on the gas,i think breaking a rim is the last thing any of us should worry about,a rubber rim will be just as hard to break as a foam rim,id have to say set up has little to do with why drew is the fastest person there,if your turning 26-27 laps, you wont take his car and do 30
Alan's on the right track... setup plays a greater role with rubber than foam, both are equally important, however, with rubber you can't just get by with a generic setup. As far as breaking a wheel, yes at one time Take-off (spec tire, insert, and wheel) did have a fairly brittle wheel. There new rim is much stronger, they even offer an alternative premount setup with a wheel made by Speedmind that is even more durable. As far as Drew goes, you have to understand that you'll never have the power, cells, support, tracktime, practice, race experience and ability unless you plan on putting alot of time and effort into racing just as he has. He's not just your local driver like the rest of us. And if you ever become as fast as him without all the sponsored support you better head to the National's so you can show the world just who you are.

DRKWNG - I can testify to broken parts. Please, I just started getting the hang of stock foams. Chunked tires suck but they are very easy to change. Broken parts take a while to fix and make me drive more defensivly which usually makes me break more parts.
Eventually broken parts will become few and far between. But, the consistent chunking and foam to rim separting will continue for many many races. Even BigAlz states he's on his 4th season of chunk repair.

chenslyrc1 - Me and Tony went to the first ROAR TC National in Chicago, Rubber only, We spent close to $1,000 on different tires, only to find that a new compound was out and they were .2-.5 per lap faster. But enough about the past, spec tire were supposed to change that, but new is still faster, why do you think they limit the tires to 3-4 sets at a event? At least with foams you get consistancy.
Perfect reason to have a spec tire class. With all the chunking, slicing, separating don't you think people are using new sets of foam tires at these large races. No telling how many sets are being used since it's not controlled. I'm positive its more than 3 or 4!! Ever wonder why tires are hard to get in November, there all in Cleveland. Plus you have to take a new set and shave (need a $200 truer) almost 6mm off the diameter just to get them to perform up to national speed. And if your lucky they survive one run, then you get to run them again only to be tossed out because now there too small. Now you know why Andrew has bags and bags of small diameter tires to give out. They start out small and become useless just after a few runs. If you do consider running them longer, your wonderful fast setup is constantly changing. Ride height has to be adjusted which in turn changes your droop and your suspension arm position, which in turn changes your roll center, which in turn changes your traction, which in turn changes your corner speed, which in turn changes your lap time, which in turn changes ......so on an so on...... back to the pits.... nothing remains the same except your frustration! So far since Oct when we started I have bought 5 sets of tires ($150) and I need more as of today. 2 sets of rubber and I would most likely still have many races left in them. Not to metion the extra $90 for other go fast goodies.

I'm not just crying over the expense of tires. I just think for what we get out of this our money would be better spent else where or just saved. Most rubber tire classes are on average just 1 second slow per lap on a 12 second lap track. Thats where the 19T come in. Plus there no more expensive than stock motors. They also, just like the rubber tires last longer because of the bearings. Other than that they are no different than the stock motors.

Last edited by evostyle; 12-01-2005 at 12:07 AM.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:16 AM
Tech Elite

Default more rubber talk

Nothing needs to be decided (foam or rubber). I just wanted to get a sense of what the other racers thought. I'll be happy to keep on trucking on a sponge tire that smells like a nursing home. If however, some of you would like to give rubber a try (just $31.99) maybe we could have a special Sunday race to give it chance. Thanks for the discussion, hope to see all on Friday! Behind me that is!!!!
Old 12-01-2005, 01:34 AM
Tech Regular

larry, did you read a book to become so smart ?
Old 12-01-2005, 05:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

The one bad thing about running a spec tire is the out of towners will have to buy a set that only work at your track. Foams are a little more universal. From track to track.

I know what it is like to chunk a tire. We all have done it. More than others. But I have to be honest if you do not hit the board you wont chunk a tire. I have seen beginners throw a set of foams on and they hit every other wall. And wonder why the tires chunk.

I say offer a spec tire class. But do not make all the TC classes rubber.

I look forward to running at the track there. My wife is from Florisant. And we do visit often. So I will bring my TC when we visit now.

How is the turn out on Saturdays? Since I normally drive in on Friday night from Cincinnati. Friday racing is gone.

So stock TC is the larger class right now?

What foam compounds are working?

I wish I saw this thread before thanksgiving weekend I would have showed up to race.

What are the entry fees?

Are personals used?

Sorry for so many questions. Just want to make sure I bring what I need.

Last edited by dodgeguy; 12-01-2005 at 06:14 AM.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:58 AM
Tech Addict

Hey guys, this is Nick H. I know this isn't my usual screen name you'll see on other boards. I've had this account for a couple of years now and didn't feel like starting a new account.

Anywho, I know I don't run the carpet races with you all, but I still enjoy reading the board and seeing what other fellow St. Louis r/c racers are doing this winter. I felt like chiming in since I think the most recent discussion is very interesting. First and foremost, any thought of possibly running any on-road this winter has now completely gone out the window. It's been a few years since I've run on-road (that's pavement, never carpet) but I don't recall ever buying the amount of tires you all are talking about. I always treated my on-road tires the same as my off-road. Run 'em til there's nothing left. Secondly, electric racing was the time of year when I'd save a lot of money on tires since they never wear out! I'm still running tires on my electric off-road vehicles that are 2 years old that show virtually no wear! Hearing how much you are spending on tires alone completely scares me away from racing carpet. I would agree with running rubber tires over foam since it seems like they would last longer on carpet... but what do I know. Dealing with chunking tires and having to buy a tire truer seems like a total pain in the ass. Anyways, like I said, I don't know anything about the differences in tires so I really can't add anything to the discussion.

I'm much more interested in the motor discussion. I think I can offer a somewhat different perspective on why to run mod over stock. I know its already been mentioned that stock requires the best batteries to be competitive, but it also requires you to have a lathe, springs, brushes, and a whole array of magical tweaking devices to gain a few more rpm out of the motor. Why bother? Why not just put everyone on the same playing level with mod? Mod maintenance is much less now with the V2 motors, checkpoint motors, and brushless. As Greg noticed and mentioned, you take one of the aspects out of racing with stock since you never use your brake. I don't think it goes to the extent that you don't learn anything (Greg, even with stock you will be better next year in 1/8 buggy), but there is a time that once you get a handle on the car, you should probably just bump up to mod. I know Steve mentioned parts breaking as a huge issue with running mod, but how about looking at it from a slightly different perspective: In stock, everyone is going very slow. The only way to go faster is to cut the corners as much as possible. Drew is a world class driver. He can cut the corners to where there is barely a measurable gap between the board and his car. Most of us mere mortals can't do that... but we try. When we do, we hit, then we break. I know you go faster in mod and hit harder, but are you hitting head on or are you clipping a board? If you are hitting head on, then yes, you will break more in mod, but if you are clipping boards it doesn't matter how fast you are going. You will break no matter what. With mod, I find people tend to clip boards much less. Why? Because you are going faster. You tend not to cut corners as closely out of just a natural reaction. Plus, if you are attempting to catch someone, it won't require you to drive the absolute perfect line like stock requires. It is quite frustrating. I find people tend to crash MORE once they are behind in stock when compared to mod!

Anyways, as you can all imagine, I really don't like stock at all. If I had it my way, it would be banned from all forms of racing! There is absolutely nothing 'stock' about stock racing. It is quite the paradox when compared to mod which is much more the 'true' stock class where everything is fair and everyone is running on an even playing field. Anywho, I just think this thread needed some positive reasons for running mod over stock.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I'll try the Rubbers, Lets make it after christmas when I've got a couple extra $$$.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

At my local track brushless has become really popular. The 4300 from Novak is a really nice speed. It does seem to make everybody faster no matter what battery the guy is running. At least 3300 up to 3800.

I do not run a brushless myself. But standing from the side they are fast. The 5800 is even faster. No brushes to buy or comms to cut.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.