Wiki Posts
Search

New Indoor Track In North Jersey, Need Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 06:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default nitro vs electric

To say that nitro can't be run indoors is simply untrue. To say that it's not cost effective is probably very true. There's a go cart facility outside of Boston called F1 that has an indoor race track along w a restaurant, bar, arcade, etc. that caters to all ages. Kids can have birthday parties as well as a group of 20-30 yr old guys can race each other, then hit the bar, order food and watch NASCAR and tons of other racing on the flat screens that are up in every direction.

Now obviously F1 had LOTS of up front capital to make a facility like the one they have.
But you can't tell me that 3.5cc nitro engines put out more exhaust than 5hp go carts!

An F1 type business done rc style is the dream goal. For now be thankful someone is willing to take the risk for any type of rc facility. Electric is definitely the cost effective way to go to start. I'm a nitro guy thru and thru; Werks makes engines, fuel, and clutches, not motors and batteries, LOL! That being said, the Hyper 10TT truggy is a blast! So much so that I contemplated not going to Motorama because I've been getting my fix running the TT and my SC10.

To all my nitro junkies, get the TT, you won't even miss the noise and smell and will be grinning ear to ear!

To the track organizers, think about having a nitro only race once a month indoors. Find out what permits are needed to make it happen and get them as needed. Advertise the hell out of the event date, figure the extra rental costs for industrial blowers and heaters, charge accordingly and be ready for a packed house.

...A little more than my 2 cents....
Old 01-25-2011, 06:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

i like any material thats hard pack. Fixing ruts is kind of a pain. though i wonder if there is a type of dirt that makes it easier to change layouts if you wanted too.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

clay is good!
Old 01-25-2011, 07:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by marshon50
To say that nitro can't be run indoors is simply untrue. To say that it's not cost effective is probably very true. There's a go cart facility outside of Boston called F1 that has an indoor race track along w a restaurant, bar, arcade, etc. that caters to all ages. Kids can have birthday parties as well as a group of 20-30 yr old guys can race each other, then hit the bar, order food and watch NASCAR and tons of other racing on the flat screens that are up in every direction.

Now obviously F1 had LOTS of up front capital to make a facility like the one they have.
But you can't tell me that 3.5cc nitro engines put out more exhaust than 5hp go carts!

An F1 type business done rc style is the dream goal. For now be thankful someone is willing to take the risk for any type of rc facility. Electric is definitely the cost effective way to go to start. I'm a nitro guy thru and thru; Werks makes engines, fuel, and clutches, not motors and batteries, LOL! That being said, the Hyper 10TT truggy is a blast! So much so that I contemplated not going to Motorama because I've been getting my fix running the TT and my SC10.

To all my nitro junkies, get the TT, you won't even miss the noise and smell and will be grinning ear to ear!

To the track organizers, think about having a nitro only race once a month indoors. Find out what permits are needed to make it happen and get them as needed. Advertise the hell out of the event date, figure the extra rental costs for industrial blowers and heaters, charge accordingly and be ready for a packed house.

there was also a place on rt.17 that had indoor go karts. only thing is if im not mistaken they run on propane just like a fork lift. so the fumes are no ware near the fumes of a gas kart. but i could be wrong.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pballer2777
there was also a place on rt.17 that had indoor go karts. only thing is if im not mistaken they run on propane just like a fork lift. so the fumes are no ware near the fumes of a gas kart. but i could be wrong.
Yup, Speedway 17. It's now owned by someone else, same idea, called Velocity 17. Nothing like a greased oval track and greased tires. Man that place was fun

The main issue with venting nitro is during the winter. It would be so cold inside there that the benefits of being indoors would be outweighed by the discomfort. In the summer it's another story. But in all honesty, I think it should just start as electric only to get the ball rolling, and get the track established. Once there is a good following, and enough interest, then I would look into trying to get venting for nitro. No need to be overwhelmed with getting the nitro things approved on top of everything else that needs to be approved right now just to get the doors open.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default cant lose

in my opinion you cant compare indoor carpet racing to an indoor off road track, i do have to travel at least an hour to race and i do, would i like to go up once a week and practice ? yes, but the hour plus ride makes it impossible on a week night after work to do so. a closer facility would make it easy for me and im sure a lot of others to say, what the hell let me go kill an hour or two and have some fun and be ready to just race and not try to figure out what works ten minutes before a race. ive tried indoor carpet racing and its just not as exciting to me going around in a circle with off road trucks, is it fun for my 8 year old ? yes. and its fun for a lot of other people too because its the only option, id say 90% of outdoor offroad racers would much rather race on an indoor off road track than going around in a circle on a carpet.went up to the barn indoor track a couple of times, was great, lots of people, good time. would much rather drive all the way out there than half an hour to race on a flat carpet. but thats just me , cant wait to see what happens with this, i think everyone will be surprizesd at how well it will work out.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

So a couple for clay, 1 for dirt, and 1 anything hard packed.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:51 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by marshon50

It's not the size of the motor for the most part, it's the fuel being burned. 5 minutes in a closed in building with an 1/8 buggy would be worse then being in the same building with a V8 engine.
The idea of once a month nitro would be nice, but for now we are shooting for electric only to get this thing started up. Down the road we'll have to see.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SloRacer1080
Yup, Speedway 17. It's now owned by someone else, same idea, called Velocity 17. Nothing like a greased oval track and greased tires. Man that place was fun

The main issue with venting nitro is during the winter. It would be so cold inside there that the benefits of being indoors would be outweighed by the discomfort. In the summer it's another story. But in all honesty, I think it should just start as electric only to get the ball rolling, and get the track established. Once there is a good following, and enough interest, then I would look into trying to get venting for nitro. No need to be overwhelmed with getting the nitro things approved on top of everything else that needs to be approved right now just to get the doors open.
Extreamly well said!
Sloracer I'm not exactly sure who u are come say hi I'm jay I got the orange /yellow cars
Old 01-25-2011, 07:54 AM
Tech Elite

exactly
Old 01-25-2011, 08:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default surface

anything hard packed, you dont want dust and dirt every where, plus dirt needs more watering and maintanance
Old 01-25-2011, 09:06 AM
Tech Elite

I'm not a landscapper but I remember lou used to get a "mix" tho expemsive was very durable ...he did havbe to get a lot more than an indoor track will have so u can factor that initial vs. Expanding cost prices...but the surface depends on wat cars u r running.1/8 scale electic has goobs of power and will eat up any track so that is a big factor.if its just 1/10 scale electric clay is fine add 1/8 scale and then we are having another story. I personally would love to race both scales as the practice is more worth it. I say stay electric but consider 1/8 cars tendency to tear up the surtface....
Old 01-25-2011, 10:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jrz93
Extreamly well said!
Sloracer I'm not exactly sure who u are come say hi I'm jay I got the orange /yellow cars
Thanks. Will do, I'm Dennis, the guy with the long goatee
Old 01-25-2011, 11:08 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks. Will do, I'm Dennis, the guy with the long goatee
Thought so... I gave u body clips a couple of weeks ago pitting to the left of u a couple weeks ago at the barn
Old 01-25-2011, 11:36 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 360 (100%+)

Good comments above..Gary, Jay to name a few friends/fellow racers who know me…

As a father of two young boys and keen RC Addict (of only just under 2 years) I'll add my rant…

<RANT>
I've learn't from primarily running at Dirtrunners is that it takes more than just a track to make a successful racing facility. Its really the people and their willingness to physically want to volunteer/contribute and actually go pick up a shovel and dig some dirt, or fix a pipe, make the tea, whatever...

Whilst yeah I am sure there are complaints about Dirtrunners management, the quantity of classes etc; size of the track etc; like what has been pointed out time and time again, they get easily 150 entries every two weeks in outdoor season.
There aren't many if any established RC facilities in the NE that can boast this level of entries in Club racing. And entries is real cash money, that you can put back into the track, that just wants to make people come right back (nobody is going to get rich in this hobby).

DR's success is attributed to the family & and fun atmosphere and that 99.9% of the time, DR management don't turn people away with a class they can't run in. Which of course is the downfall, i.e if you only run 1 or 2 classes you've got a long day ahead of you, thats why I run 6 hahaha…

Anyways, I think the concept of friendly family oriented track during the daytime, and evenings for the more race orientated folks is a good one.

Keep the track 1/10 friendly i.e. not crazy big jumps akin to running 1/8 scale, but a track plenty big enough to run e1/8.

Enough space to run an Oval around the perimeter would be ideal and would bring in tons of Oval racers (..be nice Oval haters). Also, Novices find Oval a lot easier to learn on.
I don't think there is an indoor Oval dirt track anywhere in the NE. I'm probably wrong…anyways

I race both Electric and more recently Nitro, but I think Nitro is out of the question initially. Too many complications to get this off the ground from the gig.. So lets keep it simple & Electric.

Personally, I'm thrilled at the thought of another track I can race at, and more importantly practice at. So I'm game for mostly anything thats been described in terms of classes.

I'll volunteer anyway I can to help get the track up and running.
</RANT>

My name is Toby, and I'm an RC-aholic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.