Community
Wiki Posts
Search

5th Scale Onroad Racing in Texas

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 06:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Here is some more raw footage from the 5th Scale International Challenge from this past October in Gardena, CA on 10/22/16. This footage is from the second qualifier in the 5th scale GT category with myself and Marquell competing against some very stiff competition.

https://youtu.be/UW0lGG0qn9Q
Old 11-21-2016, 06:23 PM
Tech Elite

Here is the raw footage of my C-main 2wd STC-class run at the 5th Scale International Challenge on 10/23/16. Did not do well as I ended up finishing last but learned a lot and will work on not being in that same spot come next year.

https://youtu.be/0Ue6vS26JLI
Old 11-21-2016, 06:24 PM
Tech Elite

Here is the video from my B-main 5th scale GT run at the 5th International Challenge on 10/23/16. Had a much better run than I did in the 2wd STC class. I will let the video speak for itself.

https://youtu.be/vYaFi1Lcmxo
Old 01-19-2017, 03:09 PM
Tech Elite

Below is the upcoming race season schedule for the SWCS in the state of Texas. Our big race is known as the Texas Biggie which is held Memorial Day weekend. This year, would like to see 5th scalers running SCT, GT and F1 cars come to this year's event. Three of the Texas 5 have 2wd cars (Mecatech, RS5, and Genius) to roll with the competition in the SCT or GT classes. Come on down and enjoy some Texas hospitality.

2017 SWCS Schedule and Other races (*)- v1(1/5/17)
2/25-26 SWCS #1 Porter-One day event- Sunday only! See below for format.
*3/26 SWCS #2 Rendon- One day event- Sunday only! See below for format.
4/29-30 SWCS #3 Porter
*5/26-28 40th Annual Texas Biggie-RCRCNT- Rendon,TX
*6/24-25 SWCS #4 Porter
7/29-30 SWCS #5 Rendon
8/26-27 SWCS #6 Rendon
*8/31-9/3 ROAR Elec On Road Paved Nationals-NControl- Dale, TX
9/16-17 SWCS #7 Ncontrol
*10/14-15 ROAR R9 Fuel On Road Regionals Rendon
Old 02-02-2017, 02:03 PM
Tech Elite

Been working on some things behind the scenes the last few weeks thus the reason why I have not been keeping things updated as far as 5th scale racing in Texas is concerned. Now that I have caught up on a few of those things (and sneaking in some electric carpet racing in to keep the skills up), got a few things to lay out for what is in store for racing season 2017 in Texas. First and foremost, Texas 5 is still alive and breathing. The Sportsline Spec Class will be the base of the Texas 5. If enough participation and time is available for any of the series races at Rendon, the more open and highly competitive STC (Sedan Touring Class), 5th scale GT (Grand Touring), and 5th scale F1 are now active participants in the series alongside SSC. We must have at least 5 guys to run in any of those classes in the series. The STC class is for 2wd cars only and the engines must be 23cc. However, this class is open to running a modified 23cc/aftermarket pipes and any of 2wd chassis on the market (including a Sportsline 2wd). The body rule is for 4-door sedan bodies only but if you don’t have one, this will be waived for 2017. The 5th scale GT class is open to 2wd and 4wd cars (2wd cannot have engines larger than 23cc; 4wd cannot have engines larger than 26cc) and modded engines/aftermarket pipes are allowed. The body rule is for 2-door coupe bodies only but if you don’t have one, this will also be waived for 2017. For both classes, if a Sportsline Spec car is modded to compete in the STC or 5th scale GT classes, the car loses its eligibility to run in SSC. As far as 5th scale F1, the class speaks for itself. Main rule is that the engine cannot be larger than 26cc.

As part of the bigger picture for the Southwest Championship Series (SWCS) and the Texas Biggie, permission has been given to run two additional classes (if time and participation permits) alongside 5th scale as part of the bigger conglomerate: Texas Large Scale RC (TLSRC). As part of TLSRC, it is introducing 8th scale Electric GT and Spec-engine Nitro GT. The rules for 8th scale Electric GT are pretty straightforward (copies will be provided to all that are interest in participating). For Spec-engine Nitro GT, any non-modified 3-port .21 from any manufacturer is eligible. The other rules for the class are straightforward like for Electric GT. As per discussion with the SWCS race director, if not enough 3-port GT cars show for a given race, they will have to run with the open 8th scale Nitro GT cars if the participant so chooses.

In addition to all the above, Texas 5 will have available for 5th scale racers tires at the track. Efforts will be made to have both PMT and GRP tires available for those that need them. There are some other things in the works for 5th scale onroad racing in Texas for the future.

Last edited by JLock; 02-12-2017 at 12:22 PM.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:15 PM
Tech Elite

There are going to be some very minor tweaks to the Sportsline Spec Class rules for 2017. Last year, we ran 10 minutes qualifiers with one simulated mandatory pit stop. This year, the qualifier will still be 10 minutes but with no simulated mandatory pit stop. In the a and B mains, it was 2 simulated mandatory pit stops to be taken; this year it will be only one that will have to be mandatory with C mains and below not having to take one. In the event that time will be a constraint on the racing program, Sportsline Spec will run only two (2) 10 minute qualifiers with the length of the main(s) to be determine the day of racing. This will mainly be if the racing program is for one day instead of the traditional two days that a series race is normally run.

At this year's Texas Biggie, to try to keep the playing field as level as possible, the Sportsline Spec class will run a spec fuel, VP Fuels 40:1 premix. I have been testing VP's premix fuels in my cars since the second race of the series in 2016 with great success as far as run times and not having to constantly re-tune the engine. The fuel is also ethanol-free, so no gumming up engines with unnecessary ethanol which you find in pump gas over time.

Texas 5 is open to ideas and suggestions to keep the racing fun and enjoyable for all that participate in 5th scale. Sometimes, it is not always about getting there; it is about the fun you have while getting there.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Why spec fuel? Fuel didn't seem to be an issue last season. I still have four gallons of fuel that I don't want to throw out.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:26 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Thunderbunny
Why spec fuel? Fuel didn't seem to be an issue last season. I still have four gallons of fuel that I don't want to throw out.
Spec fuel is only for the Texas Biggie this year in SSC. For the Series or any other races that are planned for 5th scale, the fuel you have you can still use.. Just trying to keep the playing field at the Biggie as level as possible.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:34 PM
Tech Elite

Gearing up for some 5th scale racing this year!! First race for the SSC will be race #2 of the state series (SWCS). Working on getting more participation in the Sportsline Spec class as well as getting some more seasoned 5th scalers to dust off their cars and participate in the STC and/or GT class for 2017 and beyond.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:28 PM
Tech Elite

Had a good test and tune day out at the Rendon track on 3/18/17. One of the Texas 5 members got a new guy going with his Nitro GT car. Jlock even got some good practice time with his 3-port Nitro GT car. The three Texas 5 members that did turn out, myself included, got in some great laps testing 40:1 fuel mixtures. There was some engine break-in on some STC chassis cars from the other two members that attended (getting them ready to join me racing STC when Texas 5 travel to Cali in the future). Next week, we hit the track for some bang, bang, bang action!!
Old 03-22-2017, 12:38 PM
Tech Elite

Got in my first shipment of GRP tires and still have a few pair of new PMT tires that will be for sale at the track. In addition to those tires, I have some good used (scuffed) tires from the October 2016 race that I attended in Cali. Many have only 1 to 2 runs on them. If any of the Nitro GT drivers need tires, I will have some new in package Ipanema tires available in 40 to 50 shore (including some 47mm wide rear tires), on black rims as well as white rims.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:16 AM
Tech Elite

Had a great day of racing yesterday at the SWCS Race #2 at Rendon, TX!!! Good turnout in all the classes. As far as 5th scale, yours truly took TQ for the class and brought home the win in the main. Our newest participant, Otha from Mississippi, showed that he will be a force to reckon with in this class. Now it is time to get our cars ready for the Texas Biggie.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:51 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hi,

Is there any place near Houston, TX where I can spectate 1/5 scale on road racing?

Thanks
Old 04-01-2017, 07:24 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CaptSlow
Hi,

Is there any place near Houston, TX where I can spectate 1/5 scale on road racing?

Thanks
None that I know. Haven't gotten permission to run at Mike's in Porter because their track is designed more for the smaller cars. There are guys in the area that have 5th scale onroad cars but unless they come to Dallas, don't have a place down there to run yet.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:00 AM
Tech Elite

Here is the video from the first 5th scale race of the Texas state series (which is actually race #2 of said series).

https://youtu.be/X0nzV3IfJMw

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.