Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TEXAS State Electric On-Road Series

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 11:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Each track has it's own tire so we will support whatever tire is used by the majority of racers at each event, which should be the locals. Tires are also different for carpet than asphalt, so it is best to have a the locals recommend a tire. 1 or 2 sets of tires should get most people through the weekend and limiting choices by allowing the locals to pick a good performing tire for the event will actually bring cost down. It's not like tires are going to last too long either to where it would be functional or less expensive to go to a unified spec tire for all races.

I think we stand firm on the tire decision. Part of it is promoting business for the host tracks as well. Making racers purchase the spec tire at the event helps the shops out.

As for the other race thing, those are just ideas, but both Chris and I agree that it could increase turn out. However, it complicates entry fees, so we'll see.

Thanks for your suggestions, they do bring some valid points up to discuss.

Last edited by CristianTabush; 05-10-2012 at 11:43 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chris Adams
.....Just because someone is not a regular participant does not mean that they cannot be a part of the series. If you finish 4th because some new people showed up, you deserve 4th place points. Texas is a big state and doubling up a big race with the series could only improve turnout which is what the series is all about... Getting people into a fun, good old fashioned competition. This will be the initial year for this and there will probably be a learning curve, but I am positive a state series like what they do in Florida can and will grow the sport.

Opinions are great, keep them coming. Everyone should know that the details are not final and Christian and I are still working everything out.
Chris,

The point I was trying to make was that a guy that flies in from NY or CA for just one race, say the Fall Classic, and does well should not be in position to affect the points standings of the regular participants. Specialty races like March Madness or Fall Classic should be addendums to the series (extra races that are totally independent of the points series). The Southwest Series tried this with their Texas Biggie a few years back and lets just say they changed the format and put it back as an independent race, separate from the actual points series.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:45 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CristianTabush
Each track has it's own tire so we will support whatever tire is used by the majority of racers at each event, which should be the locals. Tires are also different for carpet than asphalt, so it is best to have a the locals recommend a tire. 1 or 2 sets of tires should get most people through the weekend and limiting choices by allowing the locals to pick a good performing tire for the event will actually bring cost down. It's not like tires are going to last too long either to where it would be functional or less expensive to go to a unified spec tire for all races.

I think we stand firm on the tire decision. Part of it is promoting business for the host tracks as well. Making racers purchase the spec tire at the event helps the shops out.

As for the other race thing, those are just ideas, but both Chris and I agree that it could increase turn out. However, it complicates entry fees, so we'll see.

Thanks for your suggestions, they do bring some valid points up to discuss.
I understand about keeping local hobby shops in the loop as far as racers purchasing products from them, but it is so much easier for many when you either have one tire to choose or let the racers run what they are comfortable with. Example: Jaco Blues are widely popular and are pretty much sold or are attainable by the majority of hobby shops in Texas (and other places). This way, you don't have a box full of 3 to 5 different tires, trying to remember what brand is to be run at what track (cuts down on possible confusion for some). Remember, you want to make it as simple and easy for racers as possible. When you make things get too difficult, complicated or unclear, it frustrates some and you lose some racers.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:54 AM
Tech Master

IMO, simple is keeping the local racers and hobbyshops happy by not forcing them to locate tires that they may not ordinarily stock. Not to mention, telling the local racers that they are going to need to run a new tire(that they may have never driven on before) just to participate in a series that they may be on the fence about in the first place.

Now, if one of the series organizers/managers wants to lug around a box of spec tires to all the venues, that is one thing. But I know for a fact that the Austin Hobbytowns do not stock Jacos and I didn't see any Jacos when I was at M&M.

Regardless of what happens with the choice for the tires at the different venues, I do think it is smart to keep all the sedan classes on a spec tire. I don't see many of the joe-local-racers traveling to compete at unknown venues with an open tire rule...
Old 05-11-2012, 10:43 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JamesL_71
IMO, simple is keeping the local racers and hobbyshops happy by not forcing them to locate tires that they may not ordinarily stock. Not to mention, telling the local racers that they are going to need to run a new tire(that they may have never driven on before) just to participate in a series that they may be on the fence about in the first place.

Now, if one of the series organizers/managers wants to lug around a box of spec tires to all the venues, that is one thing. But I know for a fact that the Austin Hobbytowns do not stock Jacos and I didn't see any Jacos when I was at M&M.

Regardless of what happens with the choice for the tires at the different venues, I do think it is smart to keep all the sedan classes on a spec tire. I don't see many of the joe-local-racers traveling to compete at unknown venues with an open tire rule...
We have open tire rule on the nitro side (which I mainly race and have done it for years) and never had much issues as far as joe-local-racers traveling and competing at venues or events. On the offroad side of things, they don't have that issue either. I have raced many series for many years in many different places and never seen where different stops have been allowed to dictate/spec what tire is legal for racing at that particular venue. This would definitely be a first, just saying...............
Old 05-11-2012, 12:54 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JLock
I understand about keeping local hobby shops in the loop as far as racers purchasing products from them, but it is so much easier for many when you either have one tire to choose or let the racers run what they are comfortable with. Example: Jaco Blues are widely popular and are pretty much sold or are attainable by the majority of hobby shops in Texas (and other places). This way, you don't have a box full of 3 to 5 different tires, trying to remember what brand is to be run at what track (cuts down on possible confusion for some). Remember, you want to make it as simple and easy for racers as possible. When you make things get too difficult, complicated or unclear, it frustrates some and you lose some racers.
Nitro is a different animal all together, because they are foam tires. These rules only apply to rubber tire sedan classes only. All other classes have open tire rules. Off-road is too. Electric TC, tire rules have always been such a touchy subject because tire can vary so much in performance.

On top of that, Jaco blues are terrible on asphalt, so again no.

Moot point, tire rule is not open to discussion. Chris and I are firm on this. No one will ever agree on tire rules, but it keeps it simple. I will put the tire choice up for a vote at M&M and base the decision on that, combined with availability leading up to the race.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:25 PM
Tech Regular

I'm kinda on the outside looking in, as I dont currently race on road electric, but will the track specific spec tire set have to be purchased the day of the race or can a set purchased at a previous race be used at a later race? My opinion, not much of a spec tire if a racer can carry them home and do whatever and bring them back at a later date.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:15 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by P2gee
I'm kinda on the outside looking in, as I dont currently race on road electric, but will the track specific spec tire set have to be purchased the day of the race or can a set purchased at a previous race be used at a later race? My opinion, not much of a spec tire if a racer can carry them home and do whatever and bring them back at a later date.
The Tires will have to be purchased at the event to participate as a max allocated number of sets of tires for racing (not practicing) will be enforced.

This should not be an issue however. If you decide to attend one of our events, you can buy 1 set of tires and run it that weekend. I guarantee that by the end of the weekend they will probably be worn to the point that you don't want to use them to race at a later event. Perhaps they'd still be a good practice set, but most on-road asphalt tires don't live past 10-15 runs of 7 or more minutes. I doubt that anyone will run less than that over an event weekend.

On top of that any serious competitor will probably buy the maximum number of allowable tires, regardless of type. Any racer who is not serious probably won't and 1 set will suffice for the weekend. The cost difference is not high within tires and having a tire selected by the club will ensure that when you buy a set, they will work.

We will try to enforce a 25.00/set of tire rule for the clubs. This will certainly keep cost down, but will also mean that we will probably be limited to Solaris and SWEEP R series tires when we do come to a decision. However, understand that we want to thank the shops/ clubs that are hosting our races by allowing them to be the tire suppliers. It is important that the shops drive revenue at these events, and at 25.00/ set they will be making about 4.00 per set of tires they sell.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I like where this is going! Texas has been missing something like this for a long time! Christian, seems like you're modeling this a lot like the long running fseara series in Florida. If you would like to consult with someone down there regarding any snags you may or may not be running into let me know, I can get you in contact with the right person. Their series has been running for over 25 years they must be doing something right...
Old 05-13-2012, 07:28 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kyle Wilson
I like where this is going! Texas has been missing something like this for a long time! Christian, seems like you're modeling this a lot like the long running fseara series in Florida. If you would like to consult with someone down there regarding any snags you may or may not be running into let me know, I can get you in contact with the right person. Their series has been running for over 25 years they must be doing something right...
Kyle, fseara is kind of the idea. Ill come talk to you next time I see you at Mikes. Christian and I are always open to ideas as well as learning what works and doesn't work from series like fseara. Website should be up soon.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:06 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Kyle Wilson
Kyle, I actually have been studying the FSEARA website for some days to try to cover the majority of the snags and details. What they have is awesome, and something similar is in store for us.

We are working on the website this week and it should be live by the end of the week. Here there will be more details on the rules, classes, structure, etc.

I actually have most of the content written already, we have bought a domain, now it is just a matter of building the actual site.

The web address will be www.TexasEOS.com
Old 05-14-2012, 08:34 AM
Tech Master

Chris & CT, pat yourselves on the back. Yall are really putting the work in to make this a reality. Im sure I speak for most everyone when I say, thanks and great work!
Old 05-14-2012, 12:45 PM
Suspended

Chris & CT, pat yourselves on the back. Yall are really putting the work in to make this a reality. Im sure I speak for most everyone when I say, thanks and great work!
Im surprised someone hasn't already set up an electric series. We will make sure its done right.

The big question is, when are you going to get a sedan?
Old 05-14-2012, 01:39 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Chris Adams
The big question is, when are you going to get a sedan?
Im on the list for the next batch of Photon EXs.

The Summer Carpet Series @ Mikes is the perfect outlet for my 12th & WGT racing. This inter-city series will be perfect for re-starting my Sedan program. Shall I join yall in Mod?
Old 05-14-2012, 01:49 PM
Suspended

Im on the list for the next batch of Photon EXs.

The Summer Carpet Series @ Mikes is the perfect outlet for my 12th & WGT racing. This inter-city series will be perfect for re-starting my Sedan program. Shall I join yall in Mod?
Huh, wanted to be different by going Top Yea man, do the mod. Your driving has got a lot better since you first started to come race with us almost a year ago. I would expect 12th scale would make at all the TexasEOS as well so you should have more than one class to race.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.