Like Tree302Likes

R1 Wurks brushless motors

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2022, 07:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bertottius
Yes, very good!
8.4.2.4 Modification of approved motors from their approved configuration and materials by manufacturers, importers or competitors is not permitted. No part of the motor may be replaced, altered or omitted except as noted below; this includes alterations to increase timing capability, addition of epoxy or other coatings, rewinding or shortening of wires, etc. No hybrid motors (mixing of parts between approved brushless motors) allowed.
Motors may be rebuilt as follows:
- Fasteners may be replaced with other fasteners of similar type and size
- Bearings may be replaced with any bearing of the same size as originally used.
- Sensor assemblies, end caps, sleeves, stators may be replaced with components identical in construction and function to that used in the original motor approval
- Rotors may be replaced with any rotor approved for the motor in question. Rotors from other motors or which have not been approved may not be used.

It's pretty clear that you're not allowed to put a different stator in there.
Old 09-06-2022, 09:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gigaplex
8.4.2.4 Modification of approved motors from their approved configuration and materials by manufacturers, importers or competitors is not permitted. No part of the motor may be replaced, altered or omitted except as noted below; this includes alterations to increase timing capability, addition of epoxy or other coatings, rewinding or shortening of wires, etc. No hybrid motors (mixing of parts between approved brushless motors) allowed.
Motors may be rebuilt as follows:
- Fasteners may be replaced with other fasteners of similar type and size
- Bearings may be replaced with any bearing of the same size as originally used.
- Sensor assemblies, end caps, sleeves, stators may be replaced with components identical in construction and function to that used in the original motor approval
- Rotors may be replaced with any rotor approved for the motor in question. Rotors from other motors or which have not been approved may not be used.

It's pretty clear that you're not allowed to put a different stator in there.
I'm sorry. I'm not sure what you mean? The stator/can isn't really good anymore once it comes apart, unless someone knows what they're doing to fix it. So a new stator/can needs to be purchased and you can interchange the endbell, sensor, rotor, screws, bearings, and timing ring which are exactly the same between motors.
Old 09-06-2022, 10:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Raguvian
Hello, I just installed a used R1 21.5T motor into my TA08. I'm using a Scorpion S2-50 Clubrace ESC with a 30t pinion, 110t spur (FDR around 6.8 if I'm not mistaken) with 50 deg of timing. I was told not to touch the timing but I'm getting a little bit of cogging around ~5% throttle. Should I play around with gearing? The HW motor I took out of the car ran fine with no cogging. The R1 motor runs fine past the initial throttle. Would it be a bad idea to run the car as is anyways and monitor temps?

(I am new to this and have no idea what I'm doing).
Sometimes cogging can occur by your ESC settings, I'm not familiar with your ESC but try disabling your fwd/reverse setting, or change the delay setting to minimum, even if reverse is disabled.
Old 10-10-2022, 08:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Last edited by AngryRog; 10-11-2022 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Answer found
Old 11-27-2022, 09:17 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Is this normal?

Got this R1 v21 22.5 motor with a used F1 package off here about a month ago… I bench tested when I got and it worked..BUT working on the car today I noticed this “crack”? In the glue?epoxy?

Is this normal? Get too hot at some point? Will it affect its performance? To what degree?

thanks for any insight..

Old 11-29-2022, 01:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Andybellus
Got this R1 v21 22.5 motor with a used F1 package off here about a month ago… I bench tested when I got and it worked..BUT working on the car today I noticed this “crack”? In the glue?epoxy?

Is this normal? Get too hot at some point? Will it affect its performance? To what degree?

thanks for any insight..

You can repair that with a little JB Weld. It is not really on a critical part of the stator, so it won't affect the performance of the motor. I do not think this was caused by a heat related issue, the coating can flake off after several runs caused by general vibrations. If it were mine I would do the JB Weld fix just to satisfy my OCD.
Andybellus likes this.
Old 11-30-2022, 02:39 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
You can repair that with a little JB Weld. It is not really on a critical part of the stator, so it won't affect the performance of the motor. I do not think this was caused by a heat related issue, the coating can flake off after several runs caused by general vibrations. If it were mine I would do the JB Weld fix just to satisfy my OCD.

Appreciate the feedback, glad to hear it shouldn’t affect performance.
Old 01-26-2023, 09:51 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Do the new V21-S long rotor kits also fit in the older V21 motors. I'm thinking of replacing the rotor in my 21.5T V21. If the motor gets over heated, the rotor is the only think you need to replace to get it back in shape right?
Old 01-26-2023, 09:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LowDrag
Do the new V21-S long rotor kits also fit in the older V21 motors. I'm thinking of replacing the rotor in my 21.5T V21. If the motor gets over heated, the rotor is the only think you need to replace to get it back in shape right?
Yes. They fit. However, there may be another reason fir the excessive heat.
Old 01-27-2023, 01:50 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by LowDrag
Depends on how hot. If the enamel coating on the stator windings has darkened, that may be toast too.

Last edited by gigaplex; 01-28-2023 at 01:22 AM.
Old 01-27-2023, 02:52 PM
Tech Champion

Fixing it with jb weld might make it illegal for some race directors. Make sure to mix the jb weld just enough to match the color of the old epoxy...
Old 01-28-2023, 01:22 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
Fixing it with jb weld might make it illegal for some race directors. Make sure to mix the jb weld just enough to match the color of the old epoxy...
I actually meant the enamel insulator, not epoxy
Old 01-29-2023, 01:44 PM
Tech Champion

Ok...Cool....
Old 02-08-2023, 06:08 AM
Tech Rookie

I just picked a R1 v21-S Anyone have a Gearing and timing set up for 13.5t 1/12th scale
Old 02-08-2023, 10:06 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Aurora_007
I just picked a R1 v21-S Anyone have a Gearing and timing set up for 13.5t 1/12th scale
40-46 degrees on timing, start around 70mm roll out and gear up or down from there based on temps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.