Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree109Likes

Team fantom racing

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2024, 07:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by LowDrag
What is the temp ratings for the rotor and stator? It just says "Heat resistant formula" on the website. There are wire enamels and different grades of neodymium magnets with different temperature ratings?
I have a few 21.5t Helix RS, I run 21.5t blinky touring cars. One of the Helix 21.5t has done close to 400 packs in the last 15 or so months. Usually, I stick to ~48-49 degrees of timing with an FDR of anywhere between 3.4 and 3.7. The motor usually reaches 60-70 deg C (140 - 158 deg F). There was an occasion when the track temp was at 65 deg C (144 deg F) and I did not back off the timing nor the FDR. The max temp of the motor got to 95 deg C (203 deg F). The temps are from my ESC which stores the max temp.

I measure the rotor strength for each of my motors straight out of the box, and I have found that the rotors only lose a few percentage points of the magnetic strength (Guass) after a lot of runs under the conditions I have described. The motors still perform very well; in fact, there is no drop in performance, as seen from my Minipro dyno. One visible change is that the copper wire has turned to a purple-ish colour; however, there is no short, and the resistance numbers are comparable to when they were new.

This is just my experience, and your experience may vary.
OffRoadJunkie likes this.
Old 05-01-2024, 10:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 200sxr
I have a few 21.5t Helix RS, I run 21.5t blinky touring cars. One of the Helix 21.5t has done close to 400 packs in the last 15 or so months. Usually, I stick to ~48-49 degrees of timing with an FDR of anywhere between 3.4 and 3.7. The motor usually reaches 60-70 deg C (140 - 158 deg F). There was an occasion when the track temp was at 65 deg C (144 deg F) and I did not back off the timing nor the FDR. The max temp of the motor got to 95 deg C (203 deg F). The temps are from my ESC which stores the max temp.

I measure the rotor strength for each of my motors straight out of the box, and I have found that the rotors only lose a few percentage points of the magnetic strength (Guass) after a lot of runs under the conditions I have described. The motors still perform very well; in fact, there is no drop in performance, as seen from my Minipro dyno. One visible change is that the copper wire has turned to a purple-ish colour; however, there is no short, and the resistance numbers are comparable to when they were new.

This is just my experience, and your experience may vary.

Thats all good to know. I would think you would lose a bit more gauss when you hit 203*. I'm sure you had very little torque during those high temps. Have you ever checked the accuracy of your on-board temp sensor? I'm curious to know how accurate they are.