Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fukuyama Batteries

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 02:01 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by jpn
Would charging Fukus in front of an electric fan be bad for the batts? The batts seem to have much more power (stock racing) when charged this way and they don't get as hot too. By how much would battery life be decreased, if at all? Thanks.
check out fuku's web site, i think they have the reason why not to use a fan on the cells at all and how to properly maintain the packs

however it's your decision to use a fan or not since they are your packs
Old 05-10-2004, 04:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by jpn
Would charging Fukus in front of an electric fan be bad for the batts? The batts seem to have much more power (stock racing) when charged this way and they don't get as hot too. By how much would battery life be decreased, if at all? Thanks.
Charging a pack under a fan load will reduce the cells temperature and a peak will not found by the charger and will cause the cells will be damaged due to excessive voltage being forced into the pack. You don't want to do this, mostly since you want the cells to be at 135ºF - 145ºF for racing. It is not recommended to charge the cells while cooling on a fan. We found that no air being forced over the cells in the charge and discharge is the best treatment for the cells.

More information can be found on Fukuyama Racing website, www.fukuyamaracing.com

Happy racing.
John
Old 05-10-2004, 01:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I usually don't see any 1.18 cells on sale in stores, but I saw some at http://www.allspeedhobbies.com this past weekend. They had 1.82 ~ 1.184. If they are selling those in stores, I'll bet the factory guys are probably running 1.195s.

If I do well at the Reedy race this year...maybe Dan will hook me up...Hehehe.

Last edited by stonedgti; 05-10-2004 at 01:29 PM.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:23 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by stonedgti
I usually don't see any 1.18 cells on sale in stores, but I saw some at http://www.allspeedhobbies.com this past weekend. They had 1.82 ~ 1.184. If they are selling those in stores, I'll bet the factory guys are probably running 1.195s.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Old 05-10-2004, 01:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

oh...look at all those s. You guys are the lucky ones.

I've never seen other matchers have those #s on sale in stores before. I guess Fukuyama has a really good process down.
Old 05-10-2004, 05:12 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by Matt Howard
"What do you think matchers do? Those are "real" #'s on the cells, not something they made up. The #'s on the pack can tell you how the pack will perform. The lower the internal resistance # the more "punch" or acceleration a pack will have. The higher voltage a pack has the higher top speed your car will have. The higher the runtime # is the more runtime you will have. "

Yes, and what I am asking for is what is coorelation. It can not be that hard to make a graph of acceleration vs ir or voltage.

I have gone through 2 1/2 years of RC magazines and checked out dozens of RC web sites and have yet to see anything but subjective impressions concerning performance not just of batteries, but motors, cars, bodys, tires.
Old 05-10-2004, 05:27 PM
Tech Addict

I don't know if this will help, but

Horsepower = Torque X RPM

Amps give torque, Volts make RPM The more of both, the faster the motor, or the more the power.

Lower IR allows the batteries to produce more amps. Voltage is printed right on the cell.

Horse power = about 750 Watts.

Watts = Volts X Amps The more the merrier.

All this is great, but if you have a crap motor, the best batteries in the world won't help. Its a package deal.

Best motor, best batteries, lowest resistance ESC, most aerodynamic body, least drag in the drive train (this is why I race a PAN CAR). All is great but without the best driver?

The only thing that isn't subjective are the #s on the batteries.

I hope I explained what you wanted to know.
David Root
Old 05-10-2004, 06:26 PM
Tech Regular

Default Mako

Bought three motors monday and they came in just intime for Saturday racing at Socal.
Had bad luck with the first motor on the first run. Car got tapped during practice and stopped dead in its tracks. The laminations seemed to have been blown out.
Second motor didn't really come on until after I cut it once after three runs. It was the main and I qualified fourth position. I got behind early because of a pile up in the first turn. I made it into third position by the second lap. That's when the announcer called out lap times and my laptime was .7 seconds faster than first and second. That got me way too excited and I dotted, causing a broken c-hub. If I hadn't dotted I am confident that motor would have gotten me into first place.
Old 05-10-2004, 06:49 PM
Tech Master

Wow! I didn't know not to use a fan to cool the batts during the charge process. I just started using one about a month ago. I am going to stop using one and monitor the temps of my batts with a temp gun. I'm assuming it's okay to cool them with a fan after a run while you are discharging them? As always thanks for the great tech help on this thread!

racer-oZ
Old 05-10-2004, 08:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I got to run a Fukuyama battery pack this past weekend for my main and I'm very impressed. I'll definately send in a resume to them after the Reedy race. Great punch and runtime. It made me faster than the sponsored driver that let me use the pack....LOL
Old 05-10-2004, 08:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally posted by racer-oZ
Wow! I didn't know not to use a fan to cool the batts during the charge process. I just started using one about a month ago. I am going to stop using one and monitor the temps of my batts with a temp gun. I'm assuming it's okay to cool them with a fan after a run while you are discharging them? As always thanks for the great tech help on this thread!

racer-oZ
No, it's not OK to put them on a fan after a run or discharge. You never want to force cool these cells. It can make the chemicals inside them volitle and eventually you'll begin to loose a lot of run time quickly! Not only that, you'll feel the cells and they'll feel cool. All you're feeling though is the outter can. The chemicals inside are still warm. Just let your cells naturally cool in the shade for a couple hours after your run.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:58 PM
Tech Master

Sounds good, thanks for clearing that up! I've only been doing it for about a month so hopefully they are okay.

racer-oZ
Old 05-10-2004, 09:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

No problem. That's what we're here for. You're cells should be alright. But if you suddenly see a drastic drop in runtime, that may have had an affect on them. Let's hope not though.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally posted by STLNLST
I got to run a Fukuyama battery pack this past weekend for my main and I'm very impressed. I'll definately send in a resume to them after the Reedy race. Great punch and runtime. It made me faster than the sponsored driver that let me use the pack....LOL
I guess your Integy packs aren't really that good after all and where do you come off saying your faster?LOL Me and Mo were the only ones in the 26 lap club and the only ones to pull 12.0 laps last week. Just because I had some body tuck problems in the main doesn't mean you were faster It's me and bigdog vs you this week

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.