Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fukuyama Batteries

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 11:21 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Maj. Teeth
As you're saying since you're a EE, you might want to built a nice adjustable discharge from 20, 25, 30 amps and include a voltage regulator on the discharger so when you're discharging your packs, you can at the same time run a motor or lathe. I assume it wouldn't cost you more than $50 to built one and it'll have features just like the GFX or close to it. Hope this helps.

Dan
Actually I have one on the drawing board, but since I also have a massive 12V supply, I'm happy to let the wasted heat go to drying the sauce on my tires. The plan is to put the resistor bank in the bottom of a big U shaped channel and run a rod across the top to dry tires on. It should help speed things up, if I ever get it built. You'd probably be amazed how many things I have on my to-construct list.

-dave
Old 10-02-2003, 11:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Shrink Wrap & Labels

Maybe I didn't do a good job of explaining what I meant...

The cells that I received seem to be covered with:

Layer 1) a green/orange wrap that has all of the manufacturer text
Layer 2) then there appears to be a clear shrink wrap over that
Layer 3) last there's the Fukuyama label

These are my first 3300 cells, but my older cells 2000, 2400, and 3000 have the matchers labels attached to the first wrap that I assume is provided by the manufacturer???

Maybe I'm wrong, and the colored manufacturers label has clear edging after the color.

Thanks

Ok, maybe I don't quite understand your question here. Actually all new GP3300 comes from the factory pre-shrink wrapped. We simply place a label over that. Its what others including do including Trinity, Orion, SMC, PMR, and etc. Most people simply put another shrink wrap over the label so in reality, its double shrink wrapped. I recalled a year ago, batteries manufacturer will not shrink wrap the cells including those from Sanyo or Panasonic but we're talking about he 3000 and not the 3300. At one time, a couple of matchers were stripping the original manufacturing shrink wraps before sticking on the label but since it took even more time to do, I believed they all stopped doing that. We just follow what the others are doing as far as shrink wrap is concern. If this is a problem, please let me know and I'll try to work something out for you. Hope this helps.

Dan
Old 10-02-2003, 11:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Re: Shrink Wrap & Labels

Geppetto,
thats how the GP3300s come now, preshrinked from manufac.

Originally posted by Geppetto

These are my first 3300 cells, but my older cells 2000, 2400, and 3000 have the matchers labels attached to the first wrap that I assume is provided by the manufacturer???

Maybe I'm wrong, and the colored manufacturers label has clear edging after the color.

Thanks
Old 10-02-2003, 11:56 AM
Tech Adept

on a completely unrelated topic... but seeing as there is an ee here, i thought i should take advantage of the situation and ask a question that has bugged me for awhile.

How come one never sees an AC/DC charger with motor lathe running capabilities? Currently I have a big ol deep cycle battery which I hook up to an ancient Tekin Dyno and then use that to run my motor lathe. I would like one small compact unit which I merely plug into the wall and hook up my lathe and be ready to rock.

btw... if such a device already exists, i havent found it... a nice link would be greatly appreciated
Old 10-02-2003, 12:04 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Re: Shrink Wrap & Labels

j/k

Ok, the 1st inside layer "Green&Orange" is the cell's wrap which is not a shrink wrap but a CAN wrap to protect the cell's internal groundings. The 2nd layer is the manufacturer's shrink wrap to protect the manufacturer's can wrap and printings. Last is the Fukuyama Racing matched labels. That's how the cells come and we only matched and applied the labels. Hope this helps.

Dan

Originally posted by Geppetto

Thanks
Old 10-02-2003, 12:07 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Cracker78
How come one never sees an AC/DC charger with motor lathe running capabilities? Currently I have a big ol deep cycle battery which I hook up to an ancient Tekin Dyno and then use that to run my motor lathe. I would like one small compact unit which I merely plug into the wall and hook up my lathe and be ready to rock.

btw... if such a device already exists, i havent found it... a nice link would be greatly appreciated
The main reason is twofold: Cost and Cost.

Makign an AC/DC charger with a fat 12V output has been done before (the Tekin BC112C has a 12A 12V output), but it costs more.
The first cost is in develpment and production, which is understood well by pretty much everyone. A DC charger has fewer expensive parts (namely a 120VAC to 12ishVDC power supply) and can be designed, manufacturered and stocked at a lower cost.
The second, hidden cost is in certification and liability. If you want to plug something into the wall in the US, you have to have it tested to make sure it conforms to the standards of various agencies (FCC, UL, FTC, etc) so that when people sue you, you can say "We followed the rules to make it safe". If you make a DC powered product, you can avoid a big portion of that certification cost, as well as avoiding a lot of liability (Honest, it wasn't our fault. The wall supply was from The One Armed Man).

That's not to say that DC chargers are lax in quality or safety, the ones I've seen are not. It's just less overhead for the manufacturer.

Personally, I like DC chargers and accessories. I can plunk my 12V supply down and power all of the chargers and lathes for everyone at my pit table if their cords are long enough, which used to earn me big karma points at the track. It also lets me buy smaller, more space efficient accessories.

If you want a 12V supply you can plug in, there are a ton of them on the surplus market (google for surplus power supplies. http://www.mpja.com is a good starting point too.). Just make sure you get one that's UL approved and fully enclosed. Open frame supplies are dangerous when left that way, or housed improperly. Save yourself the trouble. Personally, I use a Lambda SE-750-2, which I got for a paltry $25 a number of years ago. 12V, 63A, no waiting

-dave
Old 10-02-2003, 12:26 PM
Tech Addict

63 AMPS!?!?!? I dont see any of that caliber on their website... dang man! only 25$? gota link?
Old 10-02-2003, 12:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default More Fukuyama deals!

I may have overheard that Fukuyama Racing will have another blockbuster special this month for you guys! That's right, something is in the works. How can they come up with something other than free shipping to the continental United States, I do not know. I think it's going to be big, so stay tuned! This has never been done by a battery matcher before.

Last edited by John Fontaine; 10-02-2003 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-02-2003, 02:04 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by holycow
63 AMPS!?!?!? I dont see any of that caliber on their website... dang man! only 25$? gota link?
It came out of a telecom rack I think. It's from about 1990 or so.

http://www.lambdapower.com/ftp/Manua...-SE-750-im.pdf

The price I got was a steal. I think the original MSRP was in the $1K+ range.

I'd wager that if you keep your eyes peeled, you'll be able to find a similar deal form someone like MECI, HSC, All Electronics, or the other 'usual suspects' in the suprlus power supply world (Google is your friend). It probably won't be quite as good as mine (see, I konw a guy....) but it should be a lot more reasonable than the $225 for a 15A supply 'deals' that a lot of places have.

-dave
Old 10-02-2003, 03:19 PM
Tech Initiate

Please email me. We got the new shrink wraps in just now and they're exactly what you've asked of but better!

Dan
I got the shrunk with a very hot hair dryer. Thanks.
Old 10-02-2003, 05:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally posted by dpaton
It came out of a telecom rack I think. It's from about 1990 or so.

http://www.lambdapower.com/ftp/Manua...-SE-750-im.pdf

The price I got was a steal. I think the original MSRP was in the $1K+ range.

I'd wager that if you keep your eyes peeled, you'll be able to find a similar deal form someone like MECI, HSC, All Electronics, or the other 'usual suspects' in the suprlus power supply world (Google is your friend). It probably won't be quite as good as mine (see, I konw a guy....) but it should be a lot more reasonable than the $225 for a 15A supply 'deals' that a lot of places have.

-dave
Have you seen these?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=2563

I figure a couple rubber feet on the bottom and some hookup wires and you are set. Anyone know how to wire one of these? I have an idea, but I am not sure its right.

I figure V+ and V- go to the charger, FG goes to the grouding wire on a 3 prong plug, AC(L) is live and AC (N) is neutral. However, I am confused on the V+S+ and V-S-.

Probably want to make some kind of ABS plastic cover for all the wiring connections and maybe install some 5way binding posts on that for easy connection between the charger and power supply.

Eric
Old 10-02-2003, 05:38 PM
Tech Addict

The Shrink Wrap and Labels are Perfect.

For a power supply, just use an old computer supply. they can be had for free, and all you have to do is add a few tail light bulbs or a resistor on the 5v side for a load. I have quite a few. You also get 5v to run your lathe.

Batteries are good. I will be racing the first time this weekend, and the last time for on road pan car in a well run parking lot race. I race pan car in the TC class. My car should fly with these new packs. I'll let ya know what happens.

David Root
Old 10-02-2003, 06:35 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by David Root
The Shrink Wrap and Labels are Perfect.

For a power supply, just use an old computer supply. they can be had for free, and all you have to do is add a few tail light bulbs or a resistor on the 5v side for a load. I have quite a few. You also get 5v to run your lathe.

Batteries are good. I will be racing the first time this weekend, and the last time for on road pan car in a well run parking lot race. I race pan car in the TC class. My car should fly with these new packs. I'll let ya know what happens.

David Root
Thanks David, and the decals are coming to you shortly. You'll love the punch. Oh, did I mention it'll even be better on the second charge?

Dan
Old 10-02-2003, 06:47 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

To Maj Teeth or John Fontaine:

I was finally ready to order some packs today, and I noticed you are once again sold out of 1.15s! any idea as to when you'll have some more?

Buddha
Old 10-02-2003, 07:26 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by RCBuddha
To Maj Teeth or John Fontaine:

I was finally ready to order some packs today, and I noticed you are once again sold out of 1.15s! any idea as to when you'll have some more?

Buddha
Looks like we'll have some nice ones this weekend.

Dan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.