Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Team Orion

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 06:37 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have a quick question with a likely simple answer.

I was wiring up my new TC, using an Orion 2400mah Lipo as a wire length gauge, when I accidentally shorted out the wires coming out of the pack. There was smoke, burning smell and now the battery is unresponsive.

I've come to terms with the fact that I fried my battery, but is there anything I can do to restore it? Or is it off to the recycler? And speaking of which, how should I dispose of the battery if it's no good?

Thanks for any help.

Erik

PS should i mention it's my GF's only battery for her mini? oops.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

This is a LIPO Battery Disposal list I found...hope it helps

** DISPOSAL OF LIPO BATTERIES **
Unlike NiCd batteries, lithium-polymer batteries are environmentally friendly.
For safety reasons, it’s best that LiPo cells be fully discharged before disposal (however,
if physically damaged it is NOT recommended to discharge LiPo cells before disposal -
see below for details). The batteries must also be cool before proceeding with disposal
instructions. To dispose of LiPo cells and packs:
1. If any LiPo cell in the pack has been physically damaged, resulting
in a swollen cell or a split or tear in a cell’s foil covering, do NOT discharge the battery.
Jump to step 5.
2. Place the LiPo battery in a fireproof container or bucket of sand.
3. Connect the battery to a LiPo discharger. Set the discharge cutoff
voltage to the
lowest possible value. Set the discharge current to a C/10 value, with “C” being the
capacity rating of the pack. For example, the “1C” rating for a 1200mAh battery is 1.2A,
and that battery’s C/10 current value is (1.2A / 10) can be used,
such as a power resistor or set of light bulbs as long as the discharge current doesn’t
exceed the C/10 value and cause an overheating condition.
For LiPo packs rated at 7.4V and 11.1V , connect a 150 ohm resistor with a power rating
of 2 watts (commonly found at Radio Shack)to the pack’s positive and negative terminals
to safely discharge connecting it to an ESC/ motor system and allowing the motor to run
indefinitely until no power remains to further cause the system to function.
4. Discharge the battery until its voltage reaches 1.0V per cell or
lower. For resistive load type discharges, discharge the battery for up to 24 hours.
5. Submerse the battery into bucket or tub of salt water. This container should have a lid,
but it should not need to be air-tight. Prepare a plastic container (do not use metal) of cold
water. And mix in 1/2 cup of salt per gallon of water. Drop the battery into the salt water.
Allow the battery to remain in the tub of salt water for at least 2 weeks.
6. Remove the LiPo battery from the salt water, wrap it in newspaper or paper towels and
place it in the normal trash. They are landfill safe.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:27 AM
Tech Adept

I had a great experience this weekend with the team orion support by Oscar Jansen. I was not sure about my vortex motor so he offered to "check" it for me. in the end i had a half motor rebuild and lots of advice.

coming back to my earlier question about the timing marks, the marks were correct and the motor that had the mark nearer the corner was the first series all current motors should have the timing mark further away and should be run like this. my fixed motor also now has the timing set to that point. it looks like the perpendicular line from the sensor cable fitting goes to the center of the A tab or a bit before that.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hey Guys,

Just thought I would post up that the Orion 08 Vortex 17.5 motor powered my Corally PHI to T.Q spot and the win at the recent Victorian State titles in Australia.

Car had plenty of rip out of the corners and excellent speed on the straight. I was running an FDR of 3.7 and temps were well within range, the motor did not miss a beat all weekend.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

I just picked up 2 Clubman Lipo chargers. What balance adapter do I need to balance and SMC pack or Thunder power? The one that comes with the charger does not work.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:56 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by B4james
Hey Guys,

Just thought I would post up that the Orion 08 Vortex 17.5 motor powered my Corally PHI to T.Q spot and the win at the recent Victorian State titles in Australia.

Car had plenty of rip out of the corners and excellent speed on the straight. I was running an FDR of 3.7 and temps were well within range, the motor did not miss a beat all weekend.

Well Done on your win at the Vics, was an awesome weekend!
Unfortunately my Orion 17.5 didn't give me the same success Well maybe my driving in general may have been the problem, but its always easier to blame your equipment.

Cheers,
Steve Dabic
Old 06-23-2009, 01:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Default orion formula brushes

does the orion formula sv2 pro bb use the same brushes as the revolution?
Old 06-30-2009, 07:05 PM
Tech Addict

Hi Team Orion,

Like to check what would be the recommend Final Drive Ratio for a BL Team Orion Vortex 10.5R motor? I am running a Tamiya 415MSXX. Thanks.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:40 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Just picked up a 2008 Race 6.5T. What's a good gear ratio for drifting in my Yokomo LCG?

Right now:
Venom Racing 120A ESC (same as SP GT)
96 spur/ 30 pinion = 7.530 FDR
fans on ESC and motor

Temps after a full run on an Orion 3600LiPo around 115 degrees. I'm thinking I can go up in pinion and/or bump the timing on my ESC... any recommendations?

Thanks!
Old 07-23-2009, 02:08 AM
Tech Elite

South-West Tour "Oval Series"
www.southwesttour.com

Our 1/10th Scale Electric Oval Series has been proudly using the ORION Spec 3200 and 3400 LIPO Batteries for a couple years now.

While much of the R/C World has struggled leaving NiMh batteries, switching to LIPO - looking at 3.7v SINGLE Cell LIPOS and what ever other changes they've been chasing... we've had such stability and satisfaction using the Mid-Grade ORION Lipos, and they have provided some of the BEST and MOST competitive r/c oval racing we've seen in our 10 year existance.

THANK YOU Team ORION for your continued support!

Joe Myers
South-West Tour Series
www.southwesttour.com
Old 07-23-2009, 07:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Originally Posted by hoppie
Hi Team Orion,

Like to check what would be the recommend Final Drive Ratio for a BL Team Orion Vortex 10.5R motor? I am running a Tamiya 415MSXX. Thanks.
I run 5.44 fdr in my TC5.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Bullet Connectors

What size are required for your 3800 lipo packs?
Old 07-25-2009, 09:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hello ,

Recently i purchased a team orion vortex esc and 6.5 2008 vortex motor, what i have noticed though is that when i roll the car on the table the motor doesnt sping freely ...-when i remove the pinion my drivetrain is smooth like a butter - but when i put the pinon on its draging.....is this normal for orions?

note : i ve only run it for one pack and on the track my car was doing fine with no overheating.

tnx
Old 07-25-2009, 10:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I know this has been brought up before but I need to ask again. Is there any plans for an orion saddle pack lipo in the future or one coming very soon. Offroad season starts for me very soon and I am in need of a saddle pack. I would rather not sway from the orion lipo packs. Just curious if someone has some info I haven't seen any news lately about it.

Peace Aaron(W-W)
Old 07-30-2009, 09:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

What gearing do you guys run a 10.5 in a touring car?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.