Search
Like Tree12Likes

Team Powers Motors and Speedos

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2023, 03:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)
Default Team Powers Motors and Speedos

Thread to discuss the team powers Motors and more.
dawgmeat likes this.
Old 07-24-2023, 03:29 PM
Tech Elite

Just got the new TP 25.5 v4 to run in f1. I will post feedback here.
dawgmeat likes this.
Old 07-25-2023, 08:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fat500
Just got the new TP 25.5 v4 to run in f1. I will post feedback here.
Same here - will be running it at the next race. On the motor analyzer it has a lower KV than the V4, but the rotor is much stronger. May have to play with gearing.

Old 07-30-2023, 05:39 PM
Tech Elite

50 timing on the can in f1. Car ran great. 118 Temps in florida heat is really good too.
Old 09-27-2023, 05:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

saw the v4 firmware is shipped with the latest models, may someone advise if i can upgrade my xps sport 1s from v3 to v4? seems not having clear instruction in its website, thanks
Old 10-01-2023, 04:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by choisan
saw the v4 firmware is shipped with the latest models, may someone advise if i can upgrade my xps sport 1s from v3 to v4? seems not having clear instruction in its website, thanks
V4 XPS is 32 bit so no. New V4 XPS will be available with internal or external Bluetooth versions to suit various rules ets.
racenut123 and choisan like this.
Old 10-05-2023, 04:17 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by midse
V4 XPS is 32 bit so no. New V4 XPS will be available with internal or external Bluetooth versions to suit various rules ets.
thanks for the info. i sold my nib v3 (think it is a 16-bit) and want to wait for the v4 (32bit)
Old 10-29-2023, 06:04 AM
Tech Elite

motors...v5 are amazing....very impressed....
Old 11-02-2023, 08:36 AM
Tech Regular

After the Trinity debacle, I purchased a v5 25.5 as I mostly race VTA & F1. After doing some bench racing, I noticed a few things. This motor has a stronger rotor, actually it's the strongest I've ever tested for a 25.5. My strongest slot machine 25.5 was testing around 1680 on rotor strength and my weakest slot machine was testing right at 1600. Out of the box, the TPv5 25.5 was testing in the 1720s! Rotor symmetry was off by 0.5, sensor timing was off by 1.0, motor was a bear to disassemble and put back together. I do feel like they have a small design flaw, it could be easily remedied. The top of the rotor requires almost 4mm of shims to prevent it from hitting the enclosed timing cover. If they were to make a hole for the rotor to poke through, they could get the rotor a lot closer to the sensors and most likely produce better results. This motor has a WAAAAY different RPM range compared to anything else I've tested. Maybe it's due to the stronger rotor? The slot machines were hitting almost 3,000 more RPM when testing at 7.4v, I race closest at 7.4v so this is why I test at that number. I'll be testing this motor at the track Sunday to get some real results.
Old 11-02-2023, 09:11 AM
Tech Elite

If you notice the chart that the motor comes with notice for 25.5 they recommend to start a 2.8 which I was like wow but they were 100% correct this motor generates more power and needs to be geared accordingly I am at 2.83 on a fairly large outdoor asphalt layout and motor is coming off in the 130 range after 8 minutes motor is amazing and you don't have to get the rotor close to the boards like you did on the Trinity's, team powers sensor board uses a very strong accurate sensor array with a high quality censor chip that is why the Symmetry is so good on these motors right out of the box. this motor and the hobby Wing G3 R are the two fastest VTA Motors you can buy right now and they are dominating at our local track and in our state series. This motor seems to work best in the 50 to 58° timing range I'm at 54.
TheBeave likes this.
Old 11-09-2023, 08:47 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by belewis01
Same here - will be running it at the next race. On the motor analyzer it has a lower KV than the V4, but the rotor is much stronger. May have to play with gearing.
Are you referring to the V5 has less KV than the V4? The rotor is much stronger. Generally if running the v5, you need to gear around 3 or 4 teeth higher.
But to be honest, for the application for F1, or Pan car. The 12.3 rotor will be more suited, as it has more RPM and less torque and will be much faster, and using the 12.3 rotor, you can use a similar gearing as other older v4 or 25.5 motors.
For touring car, the standard 12.5 is fine, as the car is heavier and can use the extra torque.
jasburrito and Robbob like this.
Old 11-10-2023, 05:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TheBeave
After the Trinity debacle, I purchased a v5 25.5 as I mostly race VTA & F1. After doing some bench racing, I noticed a few things. This motor has a stronger rotor, actually it's the strongest I've ever tested for a 25.5. My strongest slot machine 25.5 was testing around 1680 on rotor strength and my weakest slot machine was testing right at 1600. Out of the box, the TPv5 25.5 was testing in the 1720s! Rotor symmetry was off by 0.5, sensor timing was off by 1.0, motor was a bear to disassemble and put back together. I do feel like they have a small design flaw, it could be easily remedied. The top of the rotor requires almost 4mm of shims to prevent it from hitting the enclosed timing cover. If they were to make a hole for the rotor to poke through, they could get the rotor a lot closer to the sensors and most likely produce better results. This motor has a WAAAAY different RPM range compared to anything else I've tested. Maybe it's due to the stronger rotor? The slot machines were hitting almost 3,000 more RPM when testing at 7.4v, I race closest at 7.4v so this is why I test at that number. I'll be testing this motor at the track Sunday to get some real results.
You could cut the shaft to get closer to board. The distance from the sensors is an adjustment. Further away makes it a bit softer. But can make degree spread more. I am not sold on super strong rotors. There seems to be a sweet spot in strength and diameter. I have tested a bunch of motors with many rotors. None did best with big super strong rotors in my tests. For heavy offroad I do prefer stronger. For light on road I want a weaker rotor. I am also shopping for a new 25.5. What the fastest most powerful you have noticed? I have seen very fast x factor, motive and think not legal fantom being the fastest.

Last edited by jasburrito; 11-10-2023 at 06:31 AM.
Old 11-10-2023, 01:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jasburrito
You could cut the shaft to get closer to board. The distance from the sensors is an adjustment. Further away makes it a bit softer. But can make degree spread more. I am not sold on super strong rotors. There seems to be a sweet spot in strength and diameter. I have tested a bunch of motors with many rotors. None did best with big super strong rotors in my tests. For heavy offroad I do prefer stronger. For light on road I want a weaker rotor. I am also shopping for a new 25.5. What the fastest most powerful you have noticed? I have seen very fast x factor, motive and think not legal fantom being the fastest.
Cutting the shaft is likely not a legal modification depending on your ruleset.
TheBeave likes this.
Old 11-10-2023, 02:07 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jasburrito
As stated above, cutting or modifying the rotor is illegal. Being able to make power with grip is the most important thing. The 25.5 v5 tested faster on the track than the best slot machine we had. More RPM is useless if it has no torque to go with it, it's just wasted RPM. I'm going to build a motor dyno so I can form more scientific data. Having the ability to make a motor spin faster is only beneficial if it also makes power.
OffRoadJunkie likes this.
Old 11-10-2023, 08:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

That motor sounds great. I think shimming the rotor in center of field is most important vs distance from sensors. I have done testing. //////$$€$$$$from Tekin prez, Taken from team tekin post. Team Tekin
Notchy or 'cog torque' is not neccessarily just from a strong magnet or a good thing in a motor design. It is simply the attraction of the magnet to the stack teeth when the motor is not being powered. That same 'drag' is present when the motor is running which is not a good thing overall.

Slotless motors have almost no cog torque, but can have very strong magnets. So you cannot really judge a motor by how hard it is to turn the shaft with your fingers. Some people go to great lengths in the designs to reduce the cog torque.

Our slotted 1/10 and 1/8 motors have very little cog torque and very strong magnets. Smooth low end and plenty of power.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.