Like Tree12Likes

Team Powers Motors and Speedos

Old 11-12-2023, 11:29 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TheBeave
As stated above, cutting or modifying the rotor is illegal. Being able to make power with grip is the most important thing. The 25.5 v5 tested faster on the track than the best slot machine we had. More RPM is useless if it has no torque to go with it, it's just wasted RPM. I'm going to build a motor dyno so I can form more scientific data. Having the ability to make a motor spin faster is only beneficial if it also makes power.
I agree the rpm is useless without torque. But there is a balance. Too much torque and you won't have enough RPM as the motor has to fight the resistance or COG in the motor. Hence like I said, 12.5 rotor for touring cars and 4wd buggies. You can try a 12.3 rotor for f1 and pan cars. Depending on the track, even a 12.3 rotor for a 2wd might be good, on dirt or low grip surfaces.
Old 11-13-2023, 11:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I have, recently, run 5 of the more popular motors side by side. I have found that you can have a high RPM motor, such as Fantom not have nearly as much torque as a low RPM motor, such as a Surpass V6. However, due to the higher torque on the Surpass, you are able to gear it to run faster than Fantom and still run a cooler motor.

When testing apples to apples stators and rotors, if you spin the rotor, in your hand, the harder to spin it does equal having a stronger rotor. At least that is what I have found. I also found that a weaker rotor will give a higher RPM.
Old 11-17-2023, 03:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Just got a V5 25.5 in my hands today. Am I reading this right, recommended 30 timing and a 2.8 FDR?!
Old 11-18-2023, 08:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I run my v5 25.5 timing at 50 in my f1. Then I just set gearing according to the track size I am on for that day.
Old 12-05-2023, 03:31 AM
Tech Rookie

had tested the V5 13.5T recently to replace my slot machine. The motor feel a bit soft on initial but have greater top end. Running combo's with radon V5BT esc. Will use it on my next national race.
Old 12-08-2023, 11:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

When is the xps 1s sport having a 32 bit version available?
Old 12-22-2023, 06:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lan XR
had tested the V5 13.5T recently to replace my slot machine. The motor feel a bit soft on initial but have greater top end. Running combo's with radon V5BT esc. Will use it on my next national race.
Went ok....you won👍
Old 12-22-2023, 06:41 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by choisan
When is the xps 1s sport having a 32 bit version available?
Soon, apparently Radon Pro V5 1s is just waiting production and XPSV4 BT is waiting BRCA approval.....assume there'll be an XPS V4 Bt 1s at the same time.
choisan likes this.
Old 12-22-2023, 04:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by midse
Soon, apparently Radon Pro V5 1s is just waiting production and XPSV4 BT is waiting BRCA approval.....assume there'll be an XPS V4 Bt 1s at the same time.
I doubt any ESC with built in Bluetooth will ever get approved for blinky. Too easy to add timing while the car is on the track and turn it off again before scrutineering.
OffRoadJunkie likes this.
Old 12-22-2023, 11:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gigaplex
I doubt any ESC with built in Bluetooth will ever get approved for blinky. Too easy to add timing while the car is on the track and turn it off again before scrutineering.
I agree, but most local tracks don't monitor the ESC. Just curios, how many tracks out there actually do regular inspections?
Old 12-22-2023, 11:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OffRoadJunkie
I agree, but most local tracks don't monitor the ESC. Just curios, how many tracks out there actually do regular inspections?
a lot of tracks check for blinky locally

gigaplex likes this.
Old 12-27-2023, 02:06 PM
Tech Regular

XPS V4BT Sport and Pro are being BRCA approved with external Bluetooth.
Old 12-27-2023, 02:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by midse
XPS V4BT Sport and Pro are being BRCA approved with external Bluetooth.
Those models have internal Bluetooth, not external. Ren has confirmed they won't be approved.
Old 01-04-2024, 03:49 PM
Tech Regular

Those models have internal Bluetooth, not external. Ren has confirmed they won't be approved.
Australian Dealers are taking pr-orders for the XPS V4 External Bluetooth versions. Outsiders RC - Hobbies Direct - RAB - Smokem - Speedy..
Old 01-10-2024, 04:57 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Dino_D
I agree the rpm is useless without torque. But there is a balance. Too much torque and you won't have enough RPM as the motor has to fight the resistance or COG in the motor. Hence like I said, 12.5 rotor for touring cars and 4wd buggies. You can try a 12.3 rotor for f1 and pan cars. Depending on the track, even a 12.3 rotor for a 2wd might be good, on dirt or low grip surfaces.
misconception, power is power regardless. High rpm motors you geared down to make up for the lack or torque. High torque motors you gear up to make up for the lack rpm. It's all a trade off at the end. I ran v5 last season, and had the USA team powers distributor (his the my local owner), and he set the timing to make the most power. I believe timing was set at 52deg on the analyzer and rev like it was nobody's business. yes the motor ran hot but with a 3.8 ish gearing, temps stayed under control. That setup gave me so much accel and while still maintaining the top speed.

Keep in mind, if you're setting your timing based off amp draw, you may not be getting the max power out of the motor. That method is more for maximizing efficiency like how my track owner explained it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.