Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
New Caster Racing Nitro Buggy Just Announced! >

New Caster Racing Nitro Buggy Just Announced!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Caster Racing Nitro Buggy Just Announced!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 09:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Keyser-Soze
The car that my Uk friend tested was a ZX-1.5R, not the ZX-1R, and i broked many times, the wing posts, rod ends, etc!
Let's see more feedback and more people driving Casters, the feedback that we have nowadays is from Team Drivers, which will always say it's a great car, because that's their job, they need to improve Caster image and i think they're doing a great job,since i'm from Europe,i don't see them racing here, that's why i want some more feedback!
Comming from a Losi last year, I didn't know what to expect. It's only the 2nd time I've had it at the track so my feedback on it is vauled by some. Just cause I drive for Caster doesn't mean I havta talk the buggy up. If I break something, I post it. If I find an area that could use improvement, I voice it. So far it's going good for me. Maybe check the web site forums for the feedback your looking for. Thats your best bet.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:46 PM
Tech Elite

The car that my Uk friend tested was a ZX-1.5R, not the ZX-1R, and i broked many times, the wing posts, rod ends, etc!
Let's see more feedback and more people driving Casters, the feedback that we have nowadays is from Team Drivers, which will always say it's a great car, because that's their job, they need to improve Caster image and i think they're doing a great job,since i'm from Europe,i don't see them racing here, that's why i want some more feedback!

Caster Racing is new to the U.K. You guys have an unfair advantage of not having to deal with the issues of the past 3 years.....lol.

All vehicles break and all vehicles have issues. Caster Racing team members are not sworn to secrecy, etc... and I believe that I have made it very apparent that we are not afraid to tell customers of our problems. We haven't seen any issues so far on the 1.5 that would be out of the ordinary. I have a driver in AZ that smacked the wall at full speed and broke a lower arm, but he said that no brand would have survived it (and for those who care, it was at the Nitro Pit)

I also have heard that there was a fusion rtr sold in Florida and the radio had a problem and the motor overheated and might have taken out the esc. I sent out replacement parts to the hobby store yesterday and am waiting for the pieces to get back and figure out what went wrong.

Now, I will say that we buy radios, motors, escs, and servos from different manufacturers, but since they came out of a Caster box....I care.

Mike Mazza
Old 01-18-2009, 03:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would love to see a pic of the busted rod end (of a 1.5R)! I do not see a possible way they will break. They are one of the thickest I have ever seen. The problems you mention were all on the ZX1-R, I admit that. Busted rod ends, and wing posts. Happened to me and I went to shock rod ends and replaced a couple wing posts myself. Have seen alot worse break on other brands too. NONE of the 1.5's here have had any of those problems yet. Go to the casterracingusa.com site and you will find any and all problems we have had and worked on fixing publicly posted there, by regular owner AND team drivers. Like Hakmazter said above, everything breaks. Especially depending on driver and if you hits alot of stuff. Of course everyone says there a smooth driver lol!

So some problems on the ZX1-R were:
weak steering rod ends (upgrade to 1.5R specs and THICK)
Wing mounts were better than original ZX-1 (longer and stronger lol!)
not enough front droop (1.5R shock tower 1/2" shorter= WAY MORE DROOP
e-clip hinge pins (1.5R all captured pins)
Leaking diaphrams in original shocks (replaced with 16mm big bores)
Brake pad material would sometime come off (replaced with ferodo discs)
Leaking diff o-rings (replaced with thicker different material oring)

With every single one of these things that was told to the manufacturer after tons of testing and now fixed on the 1.5R, it is now a solid as any other buggy out there right now without doubt.

Other upgrades but not needed were:
spiral cut diff gears
stand up servo (closer to the center)
even lighter weight than a ZX1R was with a lightened chassis and CF!

So is this honest enough for ya coming from a team driver who is not suppose to say any so called problems
Old 01-18-2009, 03:43 PM
Tech Master

Ran at Avon park last night for the first time in a year. Track used to be really bad but was posted that they changed it some for the new year so I thought I would give it a try again. Only ran buggy has my truggy has to have the grenade broken in.

Lots of interest in the Caster's from people who walked by. Suprised so many heard of it. Got a bunch of guys who told me "so that's a Caster, NICE" and asked a ton of question and anxious to see it on the track.

Some of the faster locals to the track were there as per announced by in the driver's meeting and said we could all learn a few from them....... Well here goes:

TQ'd buggy in second qualifier and qualifed #1 in A-main. 1 qual was leading and on the last lap had a CVD Pin in the center driveshaft come out! (first one ever for me on anything!) Still finished second. Lost TQ for the whole field (truggy and buggy and other classes) by only 0.9 seconds to a guy in truggy.

In the A I got out of the gate in 3rd I think and within the lap worked my way up to first and pulled away. Had almost a whole lap on field except 2nd which was 38 seconds back. Came in to pit at around the 6 minute mark when I came up the pit ramp and lost steering. Ran down to find the top plate screw that holds the servo saver to the top plate had come out and the bottom one to the chassis had come loose (crappy loctite I guess.) Had to replace one and tighten the other. Went back out 3 laps down and worked my way back up to 3rd only 1 lap down. I could not believe it. My lap I was fixing the car was a 187 second lap and all these other guys were running just over 60 second laps and I still lapped the field almost twice to catch up. Was one FAST 1.5R out there LOL!

Most guys that were there came up afterwards looking at the buggy because it was handling so good and very fast. All surprised at what they saw the Caster do. Were not expecting that!!
Old 01-18-2009, 04:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

NICE!!!!! Thats what I am talking about.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

A few team guys have had some cold weather breakage issues, but to be fair most of the guys are not having any trouble. I think the wings are still brittle in cold weather, but that's about it in my experience so far.

For example, my Fusion EX-1R survived initial shake-down practice at my local indoor track, and the entire weekend at the Jconcepts race with zero mechanical issues. I'm even running the old steering ends that are known as a weak link.

I did have radio/esc glitching problems but that's not a Caster issue.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I ran my buggy all year last year and had many wipeouts, the car is just a durable as any other car on the market, I never worry about parts breakage.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:05 AM
Tech Master

Bump, for an awesome new buggy!
Old 01-21-2009, 01:10 PM
Tech Adept

Fear not Soze - the ZX1.5 had the older rod ends on there - the new ones are damn near unbreakable from what I hear..

I hear things are improving for that driver now considerably after his first outing.. Have a go with one - you wont regret it ;-)

Pete
Old 01-21-2009, 01:49 PM
Tech Rookie

So you know who i'm talking,he's a very nice person and driver and in the second time he tried it,everything worked right and he was pleased with the performance of the buggy and impressed too!
Maybe i'm going to try one...!
Old 01-21-2009, 02:37 PM
Tech Master

You will not be disappointed at all.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Weekend can't come soon enough.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:00 AM
Tech Adept

Yep Soze - I know who you mean ;-) I know only one man who had such problems first time out.
He is indeed a nice guy and one of the stand up guys around...

Where are you based?

Pete
Old 01-22-2009, 08:24 PM
Tech Master

Here is a pic the Avon Park race I went to last saturday. Also check out my lap times below. You can see the lap I had to fix my car but you can see I would have won that race EASILY with my times compared to the others. The ZX1.5R was hauling that night!!

Old 01-23-2009, 01:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

well i was going to get a truggy to add to my collection but im going to go with the 1.5 with the grenade combo. im going to order it after tax time and get it ready for outdoor season im goin to run 1/8 nitro buggy and 1/8 electric buggy for the rcpro series

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.