Search
Like Tree21Likes

Tamiya TRF2WD thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 09:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Looking at specs for the 201 shows a wheelbase of 272mm

My stock 201 is 280 with hubs center AND .5* toe hubs.....

My +5 chassis is at 286 with .5 hubs reversed. (2.5* toe)

With Losi stating that their car is "284-288mm" I'm right in the middle of their specs but know that the 22 is still longer.... by a bunch!
Old 10-18-2011, 09:25 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AaronR
A local racer lengthened his B4.1 chassis 4mm months ago and it was identical length as a standard chassis'd TRF201. Therefore, a +8mm B4.1 is 4mm longer than a standard chassis'd TRF201.

So, Randy, your +8mm TRF201 should be 4mm longer than a +8mm B4.1.
I wasn't worried about any of the other cars out there when I cut my chassis, I just wanted some kind of reference as to how much a chassis needs to be lengthened to feel a real difference. Talking to any AE factory driver that was running the longer chassis told me that 8mm was long enough to feel a difference.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:29 PM
Tech Elite

Did some measuring of a "super fast guys" 22 and it is the same wheelbase as my +5 201 at 286mm

Now I need some of the "super fast guy" talent to go with it......
Old 10-18-2011, 06:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 141 (100%+)

haha in the time you guys have been playing around lengthening chassis's, you could have spent it practicing at the track

really, how long as the B4 been out for......how long has it been dominant for.....yet only now team drivers are playing with extended chassis's, so everyone jumps on the bandwagon.......

I'm never going long with this car.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:22 PM
Tech Elite

We have to take a break from the track some time......

The +5 chassis has netted me some faster times right out of the gate. At first .2 seconds. Now with some tuning .5-.6 seconds and it's getting better.

Next stop big bores......
Old 10-18-2011, 09:28 PM
Tech Master

Jimmy you ran great last SAT. and Jake proved he just had bad luck in quali's.
If I was going to buy a 2wd I would go for the 201!!!
I also received my new ROAR membership Jimmy and really look forward to announcing the Region 12 race... next time you come to WC you think you could bring me a rule book?
Old 10-19-2011, 08:17 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a new 201 with the option pack when I get to the hobbyshop tonight. I see GP has them in stock to.

Anyone know if Tamiya is going to bring out a newer version anytime soon as I don't want to buy this and 3 weeks from now a newer version pops up?

Also I see the front bearings are metric which is not a problem but I guess that means I need to use Tamiya Rims on the front all the time or get the american sized axles? If the 5x10 bearings fit into other rims I don't mind using metric.

The only other real question is on the rear toe blocks I see they have an XA and XB mounts for options. What toe and anti squat do these give you?

I'm been looking to get back into buggies and have been looking at the 201 for awhile. I have always been a Tamiya fan so this buggy looks like a great choice. If I missed anything feel free to fill me in some.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:33 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by notch johnson
Jimmy you ran great last SAT. and Jake proved he just had bad luck in quali's.
If I was going to buy a 2wd I would go for the 201!!!
I also received my new ROAR membership Jimmy and really look forward to announcing the Region 12 race... next time you come to WC you think you could bring me a rule book?
Thanks Notch!

The 201 is very capable and with Randy, Jake and the rest of the TRF we will be well noticed in 2012.

I'm glad to see you became a ROAR member. You should have a rule book in your hands in no time. I unfortunately do not have them to hand out.

The AKA crew plans to attend WCRC this Saturday so i will see you then.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If we can get the 2wd mod buggy class to stay. Then Im gonna get me one
of these cars. Im sure you guys run the AE springs on your cars?

With the release of the new losi 22 buggy, the class is starting to
get big here. I have seen B4's and 22's on a regular basis.
I wanna be different from everyone else and run a tamiya buggy.
If I get one then im gonna go all out and run a Tekin system in my 201.
I have a R1 pro in my 501x and wouldnt want it any other way.

I'm gonna wait a while and see if the class sticks around.

Last edited by ???E-Racer; 10-19-2011 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:13 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wyd
I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a new 201 with the option pack when I get to the hobbyshop tonight. I see GP has them in stock to.

Anyone know if Tamiya is going to bring out a newer version anytime soon as I don't want to buy this and 3 weeks from now a newer version pops up?

Also I see the front bearings are metric which is not a problem but I guess that means I need to use Tamiya Rims on the front all the time or get the american sized axles? If the 5x10 bearings fit into other rims I don't mind using metric. Your best option is to go with the "Imperial axles". You then have a choice of many different wheel manufacturers that fit the AE buggy.

The only other real question is on the rear toe blocks I see they have an XA and XB mounts for options. What toe and anti squat do these give you? The XA is .5 degree more toe where the XB is 1.0 degree more. Same A.S. as stock.

I'm been looking to get back into buggies and have been looking at the 201 for awhile. I have always been a Tamiya fan so this buggy looks like a great choice. If I missed anything feel free to fill me in some.
Hope that helps.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:14 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ???E-Racer
If we can get the 2wd mod buggy class to stay. Then Im gonna get me one
of these cars. Im sure you guys run the AE springs on your cars?
They are an option. I have been running the Tamiya springs on my lately with great success.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:41 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by Racecrafter
Hope that helps.
Thankyou. Looks when I get to the hobbyshop tonight to work I will be pulling the trigger on my new TRF 201. Sure I will be posting alot more on this thread once my new buggy is in a built. Will start with it stock and work from their. I already printed out a bunch of different setups I found and will look for one that best suits my track that I race at. Been out of buggies for almost 3 years so it will be challenging to get back up to pace thats for sure.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

You will not regret it. The buggy is quite capable right out of the box. The things the team drivers are starting to hit on, are just making it faster.

Originally Posted by wyd
Thankyou. Looks when I get to the hobbyshop tonight to work I will be pulling the trigger on my new TRF 201. Sure I will be posting alot more on this thread once my new buggy is in a built. Will start with it stock and work from their. I already printed out a bunch of different setups I found and will look for one that best suits my track that I race at. Been out of buggies for almost 3 years so it will be challenging to get back up to pace thats for sure.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:14 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by TimPotter
You will not regret it. The buggy is quite capable right out of the box. The things the team drivers are starting to hit on, are just making it faster.
I look forward to picking everyones brain once I get the car up in running in about 2 weeks.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:11 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wyd
I look forward to picking everyones brain once I get the car up in running in about 2 weeks.
What are the track conditions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.