Search
Like Tree21Likes

Tamiya TRF2WD thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 08:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cantrell8
hey guys, i got a work injury last night and going to be out of work for a little time so my buggy and truck got to go. so i figured i would give you guys first dibbs on them, the buggy comes with a bunch of spair parts aluminum hubs 0 and .5* hubs also aluminum rear hinge pin brace. good body. also selling the 201t includes a roller with multiple sets of rear quick change tires no body. pm me for more details and picks will consider all resonable offers! thanks in advance!

-cantrell-

I'm sorry to hear this. Wish I had the extra cash to pick them up off of you. Good luck and heal up quick buddy.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pin2Win
In that case when you get it scrap the stock diff balls. Pick up some ceramic. Buy Ae brown front springs and green rear and the spring cups. Use Randy's base setup off the TRF website. It will get you in the ball park and then tune to your liking! Let us know what's going on and we can help ya get her figured out!
I'll go pick some up, thanks.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Agreed, in my experience adding limiters to the front increases steering. I'll try some of the other suggestions tuesday night and report back.

CSR
Old 01-09-2011, 01:37 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by captain stacker
dont understand taking the front limiter out. Taking it out will give him more rear traction, which is what he doesnt need. If I'm wrong, please give an explanation why.
It just depends on where you need the steering. I played with shock lengths a lot, and with a longer front travel actually found that mid corner steering improved slightly.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:38 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by stipres
Yes it was a really good night for the Tamiya drivers. Two of those Tamiya cars in the top 5 were virgins, including mine! It was the first time i really got to work on the car, I am really impressed on the overall performance of the buggy. BTW, thanks for the hook-up Randy. Can't wait to get out there again...
Glad I could help Pres. Nice meeting you!
Old 01-09-2011, 01:44 PM
Tech Initiate

and another tamiya newbie enters the fold, thanks for all the advice on bits too get, i have a load on order, but in the meantime i would just like too say that the buggy is awesome. i couldn't be happier, so much better than my old cougar.
After 3 rounds of fettling, i managed too qualify 3rd in the B which i completely dominated, and won by a good margin. my time was good enough too place 3rd in the a main, so i was very happy indeed.
the car is completely stock in every respect, white springs all round, stock damper internals, stock shock settings, just 45g over the servo and 10g on the very front. it does seem too have a very slow body transition in high speed corners and a little twitchy at the front, too much weight do you think? or is it because i run on carpet indoors, with mini pins. anyway any advice you can give i would greatly appreciate. i am looking through the plethora of setups out there and i cant seem too decide what way too go, so if i can pick your brains (collectively i hope) so i can get a rough idea of what way too go then i would appreciate it.
Many thanks guys.
Taplowrc.co.uk is the website address so you can see the kind of surface i run on and the general type of track layout we get
Old 01-09-2011, 02:55 PM
Tech Elite

What are you guys using for weight?
Old 01-09-2011, 03:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

http://www.maximum-velocity.com/tungstenplates.htm
Old 01-09-2011, 03:14 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Pin2Win
In that case when you get it scrap the stock diff balls. Pick up some ceramic. Buy Ae brown front springs and green rear and the spring cups. Use Randy's base setup off the TRF website. It will get you in the ball park and then tune to your liking! Let us know what's going on and we can help ya get her figured out!
Who makes ceramic diff balls? I cant seem to find them.

Edit: Nevermind, I found some. 3/32", right?

Also, is there a difference between brands? ProTek is $9, HPI $20, Xray $30, and Kyosho is $35!
Old 01-09-2011, 03:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)

Originally Posted by madweazl
Who makes ceramic diff balls? I cant seem to find them.

Edit: Nevermind, I found some. 3/32", right?

Also, is there a difference between brands? ProTek is $9, HPI $20, Xray $30, and Kyosho is $35!
Check out http://www.bfastrc.com/ They offer a complete kit specifically for the 201 with sanded diff rings and thrust balls as well. Now these are in Carbide not ceramic but are very good. You can also use Associated carbide balls which work very well if you just want to run down to your local hobby shop.

Last edited by hopsing; 01-09-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:10 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Randy Caster
It just depends on where you need the steering. I played with shock lengths a lot, and with a longer front travel actually found that mid corner steering improved slightly.
+1...... I went from having the front end limited to taking all the limiters out last night and I gained steering and some rear traction. At the start of the night my 201 had lazy initial turn in, a mid corner on power push and then loose on exit Here's my set up I ran at OCRC, med/loose clay....I could use a little more on power traction I think, but I was borrowing an esc that I think was acting up so I need to get my new electronics in and get my settings down before I change anything else.

Front... 32.5w Losi w/ 1.4 pistons - Green Tamiya 201 option springs (one step heavier than the stock black springs) No limiters. Shock mounted 2nd hole from outside on tower, outside on arm.

Camber link, inside on bulkhead, 2 mm washer (take out washers if you want to make the turn in a little more agressive) Inside on hub. Hub spaced "middle".

Rear... 25w Losi w/1.3 pistons - Yellow Tamiya springs No limiters, shock mounted 3rd hole from outside on tower, middle hole on arm.

Camber link, inside on bulkhead w/no washers and outside on hub (middle is stock) Hub spaced forward.

1 deg camber all around, about 1 deg toe out.

Ride height is 22mm in front and 24mm in back.

Stock body, large Tamiya wing with 2 lines cut off the "wicker".

7g in very front bulkhead, 14g in front of servo, 7g on each side of battery at the front of the battery box, and 21g behind the battery, 56g total in the car. Definitley feel that the car could use more weight though to feel a little more planted.

Tires were Proline MC Suburbs with AKA red foam cut to fit and Proline MC Scrubs in front with 3/4 rear foams and no tire sauce.

All in all, my car responded very well to changes as the night progressed. It had great initial turn in and very good on power steering and the car was very stable. Qualified 10th and I had to bump into the A main from the B. Ended up 4th overall after a 3 way Tamiya 201 battle on the last 2 laps!
Old 01-09-2011, 04:26 PM
Tech Master

Just wanted to mention that we had 5 TRF201's at OCRC Saturday night running 2wd mod! There were also a couple of privateers running 201's in the stock class. Great to see so many of the cars out there!
Old 01-09-2011, 04:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

First of all THANK YOU Aaron for your support of Track Star!

Thanks to all of the Tamiya drivers team and privateers for making it to OCRC last night. It was great to see all of you out there having a great time.

Pres; Great driving! Solid and consistant. For only your second time on the track with your 201 it looked great.

Steve; Sorry the ESC was giving you hell. I can't wait to see how fast you are with one that co-operates!

Randy; Thanks for being there to help everyone with tweaks and tunes. You're car looked very solid.

Josh; Great meeting you and you looked good out there with your new ride. Keep it up!

As for me...... my only excuse was that it was past my bed time..... Oh yeah, I've been sick too...
Old 01-09-2011, 05:04 PM
Tech Elite

Hoping to make it up to OCRC in two weeks with the new buggy. I picked up the springs today and ordered the diff balls. What are the tires of choice up there?
Old 01-09-2011, 06:00 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I was running Suburb MC and Scrubs MC, but it looked like the JConcepts gold Barcodes were faster.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.