Search
Like Tree9Likes

Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 06:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cement head
I drive my truck the way it was designed, by professionals who spent hours upon hours of r&d and came up with a very good design that works right out of the box. Don't get me wrong I do have a TLR chassis on order because part of the hobby is hop ups and I do like the bling of new pieces, but I think the truck was build a bit heavier than the competion because it siMply makes the truck better in all aspects.
I don't think the truck was built heavier for the sake of being heavier. If Ryan or Casper say otherwise, I will apologize and fly out and wash/wax their cars. There simply isn't a single performance benefit for a vehicle to be heavier right out of the box. If the truck needs weight for handling purposes, then ideally it's better to start with a lighter stock weight and add weight where you need it. If it needs more weight to make other trucks bounce off, you're better off adding weight at a lower CG.

I think with just a little research you'll see the foundation of the SCTE is the 810 which is an 1/8 scale buggy. Naturally those parts are a bit beefier and such, and will weigh more. From a commercial standpoint, it's simply a good idea to retain as much off-the-shelf product in vehicles where applicable to keep costs down. It then gives racers the option of buying upgrade parts where they think it's needed. With that design, it's a win for Losi and really a win for the customer (IE: people who don't want a $30 part will make due with the stock part, those that want to upgrade can, and there is profit in each transaction).

I think saying that keeping the truck beefy as a performance consideration is a bit of a stretch.

That said - I loved my truck out of the box, and I enjoy finding the things to buy and tinker with on my truck. Now if I just left it stock and spent more time just driving it I'd actually be faster.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BmainStar
Do notice Ridley quoted me and not you! He is speaking in general terms and many posts of this nature not just yours! Cheers!
Cement Head is living up to his SN
Old 08-16-2011, 06:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by goehm
I don't think the truck was built heavier for the sake of being heavier. If Ryan or Casper say otherwise, I will apologize and fly out and wash/wax their cars. There simply isn't a single performance benefit for a vehicle to be heavier right out of the box. If the truck needs weight for handling purposes, then ideally it's better to start with a lighter stock weight and add weight where you need it. If it needs more weight to make other trucks bounce off, you're better off adding weight at a lower CG.

I think with just a little research you'll see the foundation of the SCTE is the 810 which is an 1/8 scale buggy. Naturally those parts are a bit beefier and such, and will weigh more. From a commercial standpoint, it's simply a good idea to retain as much off-the-shelf product in vehicles where applicable to keep costs down. It then gives racers the option of buying upgrade parts where they think it's needed. With that design, it's a win for Losi and really a win for the customer (IE: people who don't want a $30 part will make due with the stock part, those that want to upgrade can, and there is profit in each transaction).

I think saying that keeping the truck beefy as a performance consideration is a bit of a stretch.

That said - I loved my truck out of the box, and I enjoy finding the things to buy and tinker with on my truck. Now if I just left it stock and spent more time just driving it I'd actually be faster.
Well said
Old 08-16-2011, 07:02 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ridley
Lol yea I missed that one, to many beers!!
Old 08-16-2011, 07:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BashemSmashem
Got my fist run in with the BCE chassis and I have to say before I installed it I didnt think I would see/feel any gains in performance but I was quite wrong , the truck feels much more nimble now and more responsive as well . I went back too the stock brace as well cause the BCE chassis doesnt flex as much as the stock chassis did so I dont think the longer RC8 brace is needed .

So IMO the BCE chassis is a good buy and is definitely not just a piece of bling , though I might break out the Mothers polish and go at it and make it really shine .
hey how long did it take to get yours from the day you ordered it? I just ordered mine at my LHS on saturday
Old 08-16-2011, 07:08 PM
Tech Adept

This is a post by a gentlemen, very well thought out and well said. I here your point, but there is a link somewhere in this vast Internet that has a Losi driver say the truck was built heavy with purpose I saw it a while ago like when the truck was first released, could have been just a sales pitch though.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:23 PM
Tech Elite

This is a post by a gentlemen, very well thought out and well said. I here your point, but there is a link somewhere in this vast Internet that has a Losi driver say the truck was built heavy with purpose I saw it a while ago like when the truck was first released, could have been just a sales pitch though.
I won't dispute that you read that. However, my recollection was such that drivers were saying that the weight really made it drive well.

Also consider that all the optional hopup parts are lighter. The one exception might be the Losi TEN aluminum shock caps which were heavier than stock. Except they didn't work as well as the plastic kit ones, but looked a heck of a lot nicer!
Old 08-16-2011, 07:25 PM
Tech Elite

I know 4 inches of rain here yesterday!!!
Please tell me you used a rain gauge to measure that water depth.

(Sorry, I had to include something to prevent people from thinking I was mature!)
Old 08-16-2011, 07:32 PM
Tech Adept

(Sorry, I had to include something to prevent people from thinking I was mature!)
No the weather man told me that, that's like believing everything you read here.
Lol!
Old 08-16-2011, 07:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I won't dispute that you read that. However, my recollection was such that drivers were saying that the weight really made it drive well.

Also consider that all the optional hopup parts are lighter. The one exception might be the Losi TEN aluminum shock caps which were heavier than stock. Except they didn't work as well as the plastic kit ones, but looked a heck of a lot nicer!
I think the aluminum chassis braces are heavier too
Old 08-16-2011, 07:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Casper
Ryan Dunford and Keith Whisler are supposed to be there for that race!
Do they do any qualifying on Sunday or just the mains? I was wondering if it would be possible to race just one day for this race and just deal with only 1 qual round, as I cannot make it down for both days? Anyone?
Old 08-16-2011, 07:57 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 8ight-e
Do they do any qualifying on Sunday or just the mains? I was wondering if it would be possible to race just one day for this race and just deal with only 1 qual round, as I cannot make it down for both days? Anyone?
Check the RC Madness forums I didn't see anything in the flyer about qualifying and how it breaks down, although most trophy races have one round of qualifying on Sunday.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default rc madness

ill be going.....
Old 08-16-2011, 08:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BashemSmashem
Got my fist run in with the BCE chassis and I have to say before I installed it I didnt think I would see/feel any gains in performance but I was quite wrong , the truck feels much more nimble now and more responsive as well . I went back too the stock brace as well cause the BCE chassis doesnt flex as much as the stock chassis did so I dont think the longer RC8 brace is needed .

So IMO the BCE chassis is a good buy and is definitely not just a piece of bling , though I might break out the Mothers polish and go at it and make it really shine .
i already beat you to it im glad you like that "piece of bling kid"

As for the AE argument...that thing is a complete pile. I don't think adding weight, loosing weight, or anything along those lines will help that truck. The only cure for it's ill's is to strap a Losi under the AE body and call it a day.
josh i dont really go to the sc10 thread but from what i have seen my buddy has had 0 issues with his. no leaky diffs, his out drives are just as new, still on his first belt since he bought it new 2 months ago and hes still on the factory towers. with that said i cant said the same about mine. leaky diffs, taco'd towers and 4 axles and 2 center drivelines. we both have the 1410 and mmp. Not saying i want one, but i keep hearing its chitz this and that and honestly from the ones ive seen they have no issues at all.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

shameless plug time...

if they want to stretch their legs in New England before that race...this weekend (8/20-8/21) in Rome NY at CRC Raceway is their annual "Dash-for-Cash". looks to be great weather, and is always a good turnout.

we'd love to have guests and its only a few hours from RC Madness

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.