Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 10:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jjjheimer
Lol, there goes Bertrand again.. extrapolating a statement to the extreme.
I've had him on ignore for literally years...
Old 10-23-2013, 11:00 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

AJ's back!

As for Bert...at least he's entertaining.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
AJ's back!
Its been a while! Hopefully im of some help on here. Looking forward to getting down to Karz to see you guys, once life stabilizes again
Old 10-23-2013, 01:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The 03 is more than up to the task. I'd even argue that it's a better chassis for the job than the 05, due to it's lower complexity. The easiest thing to do would be to copy the 05 rally setup. The front and rear "rally" uprights and dampers will all fit the 03 without issue. If you're looking for precedence, there is the stuff mentioned on rc-mini or there's always the classic Geocities minirally site, placed on the web years ago by Grahoo.

One part of the car I'd suggest strengthening would be the servo mounts. The left one tends to crack under stress. You can make a piece from carbon, frp or aluminum (or whatever you've got) Just bridge the gap between those two servo mounting screws and you'll never have a problem.
I've noticed that the servo mounts seem to want to flex like crazy. I'll have my brother get me some aircraft grade carbon fiber or aluminum bracing to toss on it (It's got aircraft underbelly aluminum for a skidplate right now. That stuff can handle near anything.

I saw the geocites minirally and that's what got me thinking about doing my M03 as a rally. Mini Rally Block tires are kind pricy (less so than getting the full scale ones and cutting them though) but my local club says that as long as it's a rally style tire, it's legal. I've found touring car tires (68mm instead of 59mm) and wheels that are $9 for 4, and might go that route to see what I can do with em. Do many people run their mini with full sized tires? Is there any reason not to besides having to widen the wheel arches slightly?
Old 10-23-2013, 02:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The car will tip over REALLY easily if you run touring car size wheels/tyres and/or really big shocks
Which is why we recommended normal Mini rims with RC18 type tyres.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:17 PM
Tech Champion

Smile

Well mini action will resume in my neck of the hood, so I've fixed my m03 to race the locals, and will be adding the m06R to my victims list soon....lol... See you on the carpet...
It's ”BERT or NOTHING!!!”
Old 10-23-2013, 02:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by tony gray
The car will tip over REALLY easily if you run touring car size wheels/tyres and/or really big shocks
Which is why we recommended normal Mini rims with RC18 type tyres.
What is the tallest I can safely make my Mini without risking severe rollover? I have run it with RC18T V treads and the extra width helps keep it stable on the front, but I lose all traction on the rear for some reason.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:28 PM
Tech Elite

Someone posted that the M06 suspension shaft with the ball end was not legal to use on the m05. Not a big deal, but there are exceptions to the rule of not switching parts from one model to the other in TCS racing. Examples of these are TC shocks, TC springs, and TA03 ball diffs. There are others, but it's past my bed time and can't think of them right now. My guess is that this mod will go sliding past in tech.

No one in his right mind will purchase an entire kit to obtain a set of these arms. The guy writing the rules in the USA is reasonable and probably will pass on this.

My comments are for the USA only and may not be applicable elsewhere
Old 10-24-2013, 01:44 AM
Tech Adept

Hi all

Regarding the suspension of my M05, as I've given the car a diet, would you expect to use a thinner shock oil as the car is lighter now? Or just make sure the ride height is adjusted to the 5mm base.

I'm running 600cst in the front with yellow springs and 500cst in the rear with red springs, but this was before the diet, so 100gms heavier.

Cheers all
Old 10-24-2013, 05:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Bob,

The MO6 suspension shaft with ball is used on the new MO5 Pro gold edition, so I can not understand how it would not be legal. That would make it Tamiya supplied part. The new Gold pro kit uses a two piece alloy part that gives one degree toe in, to that which was given on the MO5S. This new two piece part allows one degree toe in on SWB, MWB and LWB kits. This part in combination with the variable rear uprights will let you run from 1 degree rear toe to 3 degrees. Another part to possibly test.

After trawling the net I did see the new front camber links which are 17mm and 18mm in length, which allow you to run +1 degree camber and -1 degree of front camber. These look like copies of the original parts made by Tech Racing two years ago. Might be able to use these now. I also see the external motor heat sink that was issued with the MO5S has been released as an individual part but called a MO5 Aluminium Counterweight. About time I thought that was a decent hop up.

Just my thoughts. I am going to test this mod on my mini very soon and see if the longer shocks are any better or worse.

Take care buddy,

Calvin.

Last edited by caltek1; 10-24-2013 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Revised my crappy grammer and vagueness
Old 10-24-2013, 06:43 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by caltek1
Bob,

The MO6 suspension shaft with ball is used on the new MO5 Pro gold edition, so I can understand how it would not be legal. That would make it Tamiya supplied part. Same with the new split rear chassis halves for the 1 degree toe in on the kit.

Just my thoughts. I am going to test this mod on my mini very soon and see if the longer shocks are any better or worse.

Take care buddy,

Calvin.
Yeah, I'm with you on this being legal, tho your post did leave me a little confused. Could you check it and clarify?????

The mod is interesting and does require some shock oil and spring changes, which isn't at all surprising. The shock should be about 58mm in overall length if you're using the option shock tower. So far all the testing done has been on the street and not at the track. I did have to go to 30 wt oil, down from my usual 40. And switched from the neon blue to the neon red spring. Worked great on the street, but won't be able to track test for a couple of weeks.

Tamiya does make a 1 degree rear block. I have a set of 1, 1.5, and 2 degree blocks and do switch from one to another depending on track conditions. Much, much easier than changing diffs.

Last edited by Granpa; 10-24-2013 at 06:50 AM. Reason: correction
Old 10-24-2013, 10:26 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

What's the current wisdom re: roll bars vs. no roll bars on an M05? Effect on rear traction? My assumption is still that it will stick the rear (ha!) more if the bars are removed.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

What's the current wisdom re: roll bars vs. no roll bars on an M05? Effect on rear traction? My assumption is still that it will stick the rear (ha!) more if the bars are removed.
I leave the rear bar installed but with one link removed for normal racing. If I need more front grip/less rear grip, I reinstall the link.

I don't use the front bar.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:30 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Sorry, should have specified - I was referring to the plastic "roll bars" that are fitted at the top/rear on either side of the servo, rather than anti-roll bars in the suspension.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Sorry, should have specified - I was referring to the plastic "roll bars" that are fitted at the top/rear on either side of the servo, rather than anti-roll bars in the suspension.
Okay, my mistake. Since I bought my car used, I didn't even know that the "arches" on either side of the servo were separate pieces, or could be removed without compromising the structural integrity of the chassis.

Is it allowable to leave the arches off under TCS rules? (Not that I have any idea if those are the rules your club uses. But I'm curious now, since my car needs to be TCS legal.)

EDIT: Found the answer to my question: TCS Rules General "1. All chassis platforms must be built per the instruction manual. Altering their basic structure and design is prohibited."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.