Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya TB-Evolution III

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2003, 07:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Heya Joven, thanks for the heads up. I've already done up the carbon bits and they do have a healthy coat of CA on them. As far as the clicking noises, I did notice that your car had a very microscopic clicking sound when I was listening to it on the straight.

Also, I'm going to pick up some more shims (I don't like using multiple ones) What sizes did you end up using on your gear box cover plates?
Old 01-10-2003, 07:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

My car clicks-whats up with that? I know one sound is the rims hitting the ballstuds, but there was another sound too. Please help!!!
Old 01-10-2003, 12:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Clicking?

I just ordered my Evo III, is this clicking common to this kit? Ray, does it also click when running it on the bench or just high speed?
Old 01-10-2003, 01:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

I've gotten my drivetrain pretty free. I broke it in with my motor checker for about 30 minutes at 3volts. Much quieter now also. I have yet to lay it on the track but I hear no clicking sounds whatsoever. As a matter of fact the car is very quiet. I had to do the same modifications that Ray stated to fit foam tires. I will have to put Yokomo hex adapters or spacers to try to space out the tires so they won't rub when running foams. Other than those things I think the car will be dialed.
Old 01-10-2003, 01:06 PM
Tech Champion

Nolan_racing,

I am not 100% sure on the clicking-havent run the car enough yet!!! It was quieter on top end than my Tc3, but it was much louder out of the slow corners and while turning under power.

Ray

Last edited by rayhuang; 01-10-2003 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-10-2003, 01:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

It's probably louder right now because your gears aren't probably broken in all the way and it gets quieter at high speeds because the shaft has less vibration than the TC3's. Once you get them gears broken in better, and the rubbing taken care of, the car will be nice and quiet. Silent Assassin!

Last edited by Sigearhead; 01-11-2003 at 01:04 AM.
Old 01-10-2003, 01:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

If you apply White Lightning..a dry self-cleaning lube and place them on the beveled gears will not only lubricated the gears but also quiet it down a little. This is the same lube that Mark P. on his TC3. The white lightning lube is available from Bike shops.
Old 01-10-2003, 02:44 PM
ruf
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

From Tamiya Japan site:

"1/10 RC TB evolutions III
In installation of front one way and rear ball diff. being attached

Explanation drawing 10 in " the assembly of the body ", the occasion where one way and the ball diff. are set to the body front and back, it can designate the opening about of the 1mm as 1510 bearings and the A3 part. This is the opening with respect to the structure which is necessary in order to hold down the bearing with the A4 part.
Shaving this part, when it tries to be able to set the bearing without the opening, fixing of the bearing to become insufficient, because it becomes the tooth flying of the gear and the cause the gear licking, please avoid processing."
Old 01-10-2003, 05:25 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the translation to English Ruf. I figured that this area of the drivetrain would have people scratching their heads. Now for the real question. What does this mean? I'm dense
Old 01-10-2003, 06:44 PM
Tech Champion

rtypec-basically it means this: Dont modify the diff case or you'll be SOOORRYYYYY!!!!! If you open up the diff case so that the bearings just slide in-you'll strip a gear.

My buddy and I found two home solutions for the problem of the ballstuds hitting the JACO rims.

1). Shave the upright down a hair so kingpin sits flush on top of the C-hub. Take up play in upright inside the C-hub with AE axle shims. -or-

2). Take an 11/64 drill bit and make a small relief in the steering upright. Hand drill-dont use the drill motor. Now retighten kingpin and it can now sit flush with the top of the C-hub.

Both methods still require shaving the ball cup off. Dont worry-the ballcup is still plenty strong-even headless.

Last edited by rayhuang; 01-10-2003 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-10-2003, 07:15 PM
Cat
Tech Initiate

hi all, i've got the TB3 too, but i just feel the gear box not really smooth
anyone have the same problem like me?
Old 01-10-2003, 07:17 PM
Tech Regular

what width tires are you all using that the ball stud rubs.
Old 01-10-2003, 07:44 PM
Tech Champion

Hi Guys,

I've been reading some of the posts about the drivetrain not being smooth. The car might just need a few good run to break it in. I remember when I built my TC3, it wasn't very smooth in the beginning when it was brand new, but after about three race weekends, the thing was very free So maybe after a race weekends the EVO III will be very free as well

Also, we should have EVOIII parts in about 1-2 weeks

rtypec,

you interested in building mine? still don't have the time...

Steve Wang
Speed Tech R/C
www.speedtechrc.com
Old 01-10-2003, 07:54 PM
Tech Elite

Heya Steve, as much as I like filing my lungs with carbon dust, gluing my fingers together and blistering my hands with Thorp drivers, I'd have to graciously decline Dude, the car builds up super quick.

About the drivetrain not being too smooth. This is a concern of mine as well and after spending a couple of hours contemplating what I should do to make it even smoother (blowing on the spur spins up the drivetrain) I finally just went with the "I hope it breaks in and get smoother" route. For now it's smooth enough. Just make sure you blow out all of the bearings with some motor spray (the grease that's packed in the bearings is SO sticky) and relube with your favorite bearing oil.
Old 01-10-2003, 08:25 PM
Tech Champion

Steve,

send it to me, I'll build it for you.... Oh-some parts are missing you say???? hmmm... Must have been lost in shipping!!

Just kidding. i like the ritual of doing a carbon fiber chassis-but hate the sting of CA in the eyes!!

My drivetrain and rear diff are buttery smooth-just I need to get the grease out of the diff bearings soon. Too lazy to take it all apart!!!

Ray
p.s. I put in my first order with you guys today!! I am officially a customer now-eh?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.