Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speedpassion Brushless.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 02:23 PM
Tech Regular

Hey Guys, I'm baaaaaaack!

I layed the smackdown with a borrowed Scalpel and totally BQ'd, then won the B main by a lap.

Random thoughts from previous posts:

Internal fans have apparently just gone out of vouge LOL. I remember when they were all the rage in helicopters, until someone figured out the power loss of the fan at high rpm was making more heat than the fan was able to dissipate. Coming around and going around it seems - the **"NEW"** fan-less design has superceded the previous "NEW" fanned design, which superceded the previois fan-less design... sigh...

6 month BL lifespan....
I still have some old Mamba 25 proto motors from 2003 that have been run harder and for 10x more hours than ANY race motor ever will, and they still baseline exactly the same as day one. Neo is a "permanent" magnet - keyword: permanent. BL motors are extremely simple machines that are almost black and white when it comes to functionality, as in - it works or it doesn't. You can damage the magnet by overheating it beyond 200F, and you can unsolder the internal winding terminations at extreme temps, but beyond that there's almost nothing you can do to one to make it perform less than it was brand new. BL motors are lifetime units unless they are seriously abused, and when seriously abused they die completely.

The mid-level Feigao ESC is sensored motors only, and it runs the Novaks and etc. very nicely. The GT is the same, but supposedly run sensorless motors - I happen to have a couple, so we'll see shortly.

Testing will resume later this week to include:
Sensorless motors on the GT
GT programming
Exige programming
"This ESC and that motor" interchangability
Other cool stuff

Shawn
Old 12-04-2007, 09:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Shawn,

speaking of Scalpals or Scalpal looking...

Have/Are you doing any testing with the GT ESC in 4cell applications like 1/12th...

Just thought I would ask because that is mainly where I'm looking to place my new ESC. Maybe call Adrian and have him play with it.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Alright guys here goes-
Let me say that today was sort of a bitter sweet day.
Headed to the track to meet skypilot (a Schuie wheel), my NEW 9.5R was geared conservatively (114s/36p w/56.5mm) and we're ready to shred some foam & rubber on a new layout.
First lap, motor is strong, trying to get used to the line, okay let's do it again... Second lap, motor stalls and with a few blips of the throttle heads off around the big 180 and stops. right?(but I know EXACTLY what it is) Skypilot grabs the car and with a few more blips of the throttle notices that the pinion is moving, but not the wheels
Go to the pits, pull the motor apart and my worst fears are confirmed. Now the first time this happened with the first 9.5, I caught some humorous ribbin' from a few guys. If I did something wrong I can accept that...no biggie. But this is my 2nd 9.5 and the same thing happens- in front of a witness no doubt
The stock rotor is poor. Coincidence...maybe. User error...not likely. Hopefully with the motors Shawn is testing (is he testing a 9.5R?) the rotors are up to snuff.
Fortunately, I brought the 'running-change?' rotor with me that Racing Factory sent me to replace the first rotor Threw that in, ran a few more times, motor was actually a little much for the grip level and all is well again......until further notice
Attached Thumbnails Speedpassion Brushless.-sp-9.5r-rotor.jpg  

Last edited by JayBee; 12-04-2007 at 10:17 PM.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:06 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

LOL, China.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JayBee
Alright guys here goes-
Headed to the track to meet skypilot (a Schuie wheel), my NEW 9.5R was geared conservatively (114s/36p w/56.5mm) and we're ready to shred some foam & rubber on a new layout.
First lap, motor is strong, trying to get used to the line, okay let's do it again... Second lap, motor stalls and with a few blips of the throttle heads off around the big 180 and stops. right?(but I know EXACTLY what it is) Skypilot grabs the car and with a few more blips of the throttle notices that the pinion is moving, but not the wheels
Go to the pits, pull the motor apart and my worst fears are confirmed. Now the first time this happened with the first 9.5, I caught some humorous ribbin' from a few guys. If I did something wrong I can accept that...no biggie. But this is my 2nd 9.5 and the same thing happens- in front of a witness no doubt
The stock rotor is poor. Coincidence...maybe. User error...not likely. Hopefully with the motors Shawn is testing (is he testing a 9.5R?) the rotors are up to snuff.
Fortunately, I brought the 'running-change?' rotor with me that Racing Factory sent me to replace the first rotor Threw that in, ran a few more times, motor was actually a little much for the grip level and all is well again......until further notice
Jaybee - The motor you are using is the old SP budget line, i dont know who makes that motor, the new sealed cans are a budget line made by Feigao, the same company that makes all the Mod motors by SP, Orion GM etc. The quality of the Feigao stuff is much better.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:02 AM
Tech Regular

I have a 9.5 here (new style) but I don't plan on bringing any in. Mainly because everyone is going 10.5 and 13.5 classes - no real reason to have a 9.5 onhand.

I haven't spun any rotors on any of the SP stuff, but the original stock line with the holes in the can have never performed up to my personal comfort level. We won't be bringing these in either - only the Ultra Sportsman solid can 13.5 and 10.5 motors plus all the mod motors and accessories.

4 cell testing - I'll add it to the list :-)
Old 12-05-2007, 06:12 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Shawn: Will the motors be available for the Novak race in January?

L8R Marker
Old 12-05-2007, 06:47 AM
Tech Regular

A Schumacher Team mail will go out this week lining out SP sponsorship info - some good news and a timeline coming!
Old 12-05-2007, 06:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Shawn Palmer
A Schumacher Team mail will go out this week lining out SP sponsorship info - some good news and a timeline coming!
Looking forward to it, and testing out the esc and motors in the new season!
Old 12-05-2007, 07:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JayBee
Alright guys here goes-
This is going to sound nutty but you may be able to fix that.

Get some Locktite GREEN thread Lock. It is more like metal glue than threadlock as it pretty much permanently bonds metal surface. Clean the shaft and the ID of the magnet with motor spray. Blow it dry with a hair drier or heat gun. Apply the Locktite Green to the shaft and inside the magnet...be generous.

Tap the shaft into the magnet carefully. Even if the shaft just slides in the locktite will work. Measure how much of the shaft sticks out on a good rotor and make sure you have the same extension in the repaired rotor.

Wipe off the excess locktite and set it aside for 24 hours.

The locktite requires more heat to fail than the rotor takes to demagnetize so you should be all set.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

i forgot about the green stuff, i think that is what comes in the "unlabelled" bottle, with a helicopter kit. i have some left over, i will drop it by or you can come get it.

slight correction in jaybees, post, the pinion was "trying to move" but yea, it just started making noise and not moving.

i guess the good news is its happening on a "older" design motor and not the new ones shouie will be getting in. are mine here yet??
Old 12-05-2007, 03:43 PM
Tech Regular

The green loctite trick really works - I can vouch for that several dozen times over the years of playing with proto motors.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:04 PM
Tech Champion

Thanks for the green Loctite tip fellas. Good thing I kept both rotors
Old 12-05-2007, 10:28 PM
Tech Champion

I have a 9.5 here (new style) but I don't plan on bringing any in. Mainly because everyone is going 10.5 and 13.5 classes - no real reason to have a 9.5 onhand.

I haven't spun any rotors on any of the SP stuff, but the original stock line with the holes in the can have never performed up to my personal comfort level. We won't be bringing these in either - only the Ultra Sportsman solid can 13.5 and 10.5 motors plus all the mod motors and accessories.

4 cell testing - I'll add it to the list :-)
Shawn just to give ya a heads up, I will be wanting a 9.5 (new style); so when you make that Speed Passion order, throw one in for me Do I need to call and put it on backorder
Old 12-05-2007, 10:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

jaybee has a label maker. :lol sorry couldn't resist

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.