Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree6Likes

HPI Sprint 2 Mods

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 01:07 AM
Tech Rookie

Default uhmmmm

So i just put those measurements into the front end of my car and the amont of toe out and positive camber is ridiculous.
Will have to set up my toe and camber links but my ackerman and steering tie rods were pretty good!
Old 08-18-2014, 09:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

Just checked my own measurements at home and they differ to the ones stated too Dale.
These are my measurements below, hopefully someone else may be able to clarify on their own set up too

TOE LINKS: 1.41"
FRONT CAMBER LINKS: 1.466"
REAR CAMBER LINKS: 1.465"
SERVO LINK: 1.82"
ACKERMAN LINK: 1.920"
Old 08-19-2014, 02:50 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by WaftyCrank
Just checked my own measurements at home and they differ to the ones stated too Dale.
These are my measurements below, hopefully someone else may be able to clarify on their own set up too

Looks like that will pull my camber back towards the negative scale but the toe is very close to what was previously mentioned.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:13 AM
Tech Rookie

Those camber link measurements are just about spot on!
very happy with that setup.
Thanks alot Wafty!
Old 08-26-2014, 05:19 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi, thanks for the great thread!

Now to my question, me and a friend both bought used sprint 2 flux, mine had been used for drifting and had a locked rear diff, I got a new rear diff to make it grippier.

We have the same tires on both cars, but they behave very very differently.

If he is going fast and coming up to a corner lets off the gas and let it roll he has great grip throughout the corner and his car is grippier overall.

if i come up to a corner and try to let it roll it will lose grip and start sliding all over the place, to get it through the corners I have to have my finger on the throttle and not let up, then I have decent grip but nothing compared to my friend.

I dont think it can just be toe-in and suspension settings that is causing this effect, maybe it is something with the diffs?

his rear diff is almost locked, while mine is loose with 1000wt oil in it.

My front diff is alot harder, ithink previous owner used grease instead of oil.

Does this make sense to anyone? does my friend maybe have a different diff setup that is making his get grippier when he lets go of throttle and mine has the opposite effect?

My car got alot grippier after I got rid of the locked rear diff, but I want more!
Old 09-01-2014, 04:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

thinking about getting one of these to drift with I use a tc4 now
Im afraid my lipos will not fit! they are 25mm height
If I raise the battery compartment will belt hit top of case?
Old 09-02-2014, 04:22 AM
Tech Initiate

I raised the battery compartment by putting shims under the posts holding it, it worked fine and I use 25-27mm lipos, the belt rubs abit but havent had any problems so far. Have maybe 10 batteries in it.

I also think I found out why it was acting so weird, the 15t pulley driving the belt for the front wheels was worn so much that it must have been slipping like crazy. I ordered a new one and hope it will fix my handling issues.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

what is the difference between the orange aluminum parts car and the purple?
Old 10-03-2014, 03:54 PM
Tech Rookie

I've read through a lot of this thread... very helpful. I plan to start working on the steering slop soon. I see a few recommendations for servos, but was wondering if the HPI SB-5 or SF-50 would be anywhere close to some of the ones mentioned? I see that they're quite a bit cheaper so I'm guessing not. I just want something better than the stock SF-1 that comes with the S2 RTR but am not quite willing to jump up that high in price. $25-$40 sounds like a good range, and bolt-in sounds good too.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:31 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

One of these days I need to get through this thread and apply some of the good mods to my Sprint 2....

Anyone care to post a summary recap?
Old 10-04-2014, 05:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Perfer
Hi, thanks for the great thread!

Now to my question, me and a friend both bought used sprint 2 flux, mine had been used for drifting and had a locked rear diff, I got a new rear diff to make it grippier.

We have the same tires on both cars, but they behave very very differently.

If he is going fast and coming up to a corner lets off the gas and let it roll he has great grip throughout the corner and his car is grippier overall.

if i come up to a corner and try to let it roll it will lose grip and start sliding all over the place, to get it through the corners I have to have my finger on the throttle and not let up, then I have decent grip but nothing compared to my friend.

I dont think it can just be toe-in and suspension settings that is causing this effect, maybe it is something with the diffs?

his rear diff is almost locked, while mine is loose with 1000wt oil in it.

My front diff is alot harder, ithink previous owner used grease instead of oil.

Does this make sense to anyone? does my friend maybe have a different diff setup that is making his get grippier when he lets go of throttle and mine has the opposite effect?

My car got alot grippier after I got rid of the locked rear diff, but I want more!
If you gently roll through the corners you want oil in both diffs, and lighter in the rear. If you power through the corners you want either a spool (locked) dif in the front, and a light oil weight in the rear. I would go with 2000-5000 rear, and >100000 front. Higher front weights or spools give great out of corner drive
For optimal performance you don't want grease. It provides very little diff action.
For traction driving a locked rear will be horrible.
Originally Posted by boudin4evr
what is the difference between the orange aluminum parts car and the purple?
Just the anodization color.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Probably the number one upgrade that everyone should do is swap out all the self tapping screws for a basic metric machine set.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:38 AM
Tech Initiate

I replaced the pulley driving the front tires and put some diff oiln in the front diff (80.000) and run 2000 in the rear, the front diff was almost bone dry :s

these 2 things fixed my handling problems and now its alot better. Only thing now is understeer but I guess a perfect handling car is impossible
Old 10-06-2014, 11:35 AM
Tech Rookie

When I bought the s1 steering set HPI-86005 its was £12 and in reality it was the mainly the stand off I wanted it for, and some of the shims.
I added the parts from this set... http://www.asiatees.com/display?HPI-...4%203&id=44106 which had the right bearings to match the alloy gpm parts I already had as well as the stock parts I have on my second s2. Below is a picture of it the oem parts. I went overkill on the bearings but I wanted the height right...

However, a mate of mine was able to use just the rs4 set with the standoff inverted and it worked out well too, although I do recall him saying he had to shorten the larger shims to make it butt up against his top deck nicely, but it wasn't a major mod. I will ask him to send me a photo of it to show you as it will save you 20 dollars =)

edit.... Added the pictures of my friends set up using JUST the rs4 parts. As you can see he has chopped into his topdeck to accommodate the larger stand offs and shaved the lower shim shorter. I added pics of OEM and with the alloy parts too.
I found one of those S1 steering kits on eBay. Is the RS4 steering assembly required for the S2 steering set to be installed or will they work independently of each other? Just trying to see if I can wait on one or if I'll have to buy them together.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:12 AM
Tech Rookie

There are some posts in here that talk about the RS4 3 Steering assembly working with the Sprint 2. And someone confirmed that in a review on this page:
http://www.asiatees.com/display?id=1...&model=RS4%203

But I was wondering if the Nitro RS4 3 steering assembly will also work:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GPM-HPI-Nitr...-/271629367857

The eBay listing is from someone in the US, so I'd get it faster. Just want to make sure they're the same in terms of fitment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.