Search

1/12th Scale Wiring...(1S)

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 10:13 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TrevCoult
Here's mine.

CRC Gen XL, CRC (TQ) 16g wire, CRC (TQ) soft sensor wire, JR 3650 servo, KO 408S Rx, Tekin RS (with 203 firmware, wow!) and Redline 10.5, RC Dynamics booster with built in switch (review at www.carsrcracing.co.uk), SMC 4900 LiPo.

No shortened wires, just tried to keep them tidy. Side to side balance bang on. There is 20g of weight on the car too to make minimum weight but you won't see it!

Trev
Hi Trev,

Fabulous car, is that the one that was shown in the actual review on carsrcracing of the RC Dynamics Booster ?

I'm awaiting Mark's signal and then I'm going to order and install one as well in my RC12R5(.1 once I get my upgrade parts) .

What have you been your runtimes with the booster ?

Really nice idea to lay down the receiver,saves a huge amount of space and
your wires are really tidy.

Cheers,
Erik
Old 01-06-2010, 11:28 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks everyone for the compliments. And I was thinking it wasn't quite neat enough yet

Originally Posted by stical
Hi Trev,

Fabulous car, is that the one that was shown in the actual review on carsrcracing of the RC Dynamics Booster ?

I'm awaiting Mark's signal and then I'm going to order and install one as well in my RC12R5(.1 once I get my upgrade parts) .

What have you been your runtimes with the booster ?

Really nice idea to lay down the receiver,saves a huge amount of space and
your wires are really tidy.

Cheers,
Erik
Yes it is the car from the RC Dynamics booster article. I've only run with a 10.5, no mod, but no problem with runtime at all. Take 2800-3200 out of the LiPo for an 8 minute race, depending on various factors. It probably means I'm not trying hard enough!

Pros and cons with laying the Rx down. I did it as it is quite tall and would only fit with older style body shells (Zytec, Raynard) near to the centre of the car if vertical. No problem with an AMR-12 but I have kept doing it as it keeps the wiring lower and neater. Just put a double layer of servo tape under the socket part. A bit harder to get to the ESC plug for programming though.

Trev
Old 01-06-2010, 05:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

[QUOTE=Mark506;6812341]Here's mine new XL. Just wired it up a couple days ago. I'm running a Tekin RS, Futuba 9650, Spektrum SR3500 Reciver, Reedy 4600 40c 1cell, and a Thunder Power 250mah 7.4 receiver pack.

Do you run a voltage regulator for the 7.4v receiver pack. Just need to be sure if a 9650 servo can handle 7.4v ok.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

[QUOTE=danjoy25;6816684]
Originally Posted by Mark506
Here's mine new XL. Just wired it up a couple days ago. I'm running a Tekin RS, Futuba 9650, Spektrum SR3500 Reciver, Reedy 4600 40c 1cell, and a Thunder Power 250mah 7.4 receiver pack.

Do you run a voltage regulator for the 7.4v receiver pack. Just need to be sure if a 9650 servo can handle 7.4v ok.

No, i haven't even thought of that. Thanks for pointing that out, ill have to see.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Need some help with using a booster with my Tekin RS in 1/12 scale as I toasted my receiver pack and can't get another 6v one until next week. I have a booster that I got from a racer at our track that he said did not work with his RS, but after plugging the power lead from the esc in to it and then plugging the booster in to the receiver, everything seems to power up normally. Get the normal beeps and lights. Throttle works as normal and seems to get full speed as it did with the receiver pack. I ran this without any issues with a KO esc for a few weeks wired this way.

The booster does not have a brand name on it and there is no switch. Just a female plug on one end to go to the receier and three pins that go in to the power lead. No instructions available either. I really don't want to fry anything but would love to race Sunday if at all possible. Am I safe running it this way? I have seen where the TQ booster wires off of the + battery post on the esc but not sure about this one.

And before anyone asks, I can't use a lipo rx pack as I'm running an older JRZ3550 that does not like anything over 7 volts. The booster looks a lot like these but does not have a label on it. It does have black shrink like the first pic.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:14 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SteveL
Need some help with using a booster with my Tekin RS in 1/12 scale as I toasted my receiver pack and can't get another 6v one until next week. I have a booster that I got from a racer at our track that he said did not work with his RS, but after plugging the power lead from the esc in to it and then plugging the booster in to the receiver, everything seems to power up normally. Get the normal beeps and lights. Throttle works as normal and seems to get full speed as it did with the receiver pack. I ran this without any issues with a KO esc for a few weeks wired this way.

The booster does not have a brand name on it and there is no switch. Just a female plug on one end to go to the receier and three pins that go in to the power lead. No instructions available either. I really don't want to fry anything but would love to race Sunday if at all possible. Am I safe running it this way? I have seen where the TQ booster wires off of the + battery post on the esc but not sure about this one.

And before anyone asks, I can't use a lipo rx pack as I'm running an older JRZ3550 that does not like anything over 7 volts. The booster looks a lot like these but does not have a label on it. It does have black shrink like the first pic.

If I read it correctly someone already answered it in the Tekin thread
Old 01-09-2010, 08:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by abailey21
If I read it correctly someone already answered it in the Tekin thread
Which of the 600+ pages? Someone posted the ratings after I asked but no one has confirmed the wiring process. Can you point me to the answer?
Old 01-09-2010, 09:28 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by SteveL
Which of the 600+ pages? Someone posted the ratings after I asked but no one has confirmed the wiring process. Can you point me to the answer?
Haven't seen your particular model of booster but every booster I've ever seen has the red (+) wire to the ESC + battery post and black (-) wire to the ESC - battery post.

I would be a little wary of cheap unnamed boosters though. Some cause problems such as interference, servo positioning or transponder counting. Others work fine.

Trev
Old 01-09-2010, 10:46 AM
Tech Regular

See Randy Pike's post here.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/6828790-post10349.html

To be honest I didn't know any boosters worked like that. I agree, not a good idea.

Trev
Old 01-10-2010, 02:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Any booster that you try to use MUST be connected directly to the main battery, and not through the receiver wire to the speedo.

If you look carefully at the pictures above, there are two ways shown. In the top picture, the booster is connected to just a plug with only black and red wires coming out of it. Connect the black wire to -ve on the battery, and the red wire +ve. In the bottom picture is it inviting you to connect it in series with the wire from your speedo - don't do that!

I solder these wires directly to the posts on my Tekin speedo. The red wire is soldered to the +ve battery post, and the black wire to the -ve battery post. DO NOT connect them to any of the motor wires, or the posts that are used for the motor wires. ONLY connect to your battery plug, or to the battery wires posts on your speedo.

Even if you do that, some boosters are not performing faultlessly. There are reports from people who have had failures with the Novak and TQ boosters, and reports from people who have had no trouble with either of them. When fitted correctly, they will work on the bench; you have to try them with your car, fitted with your electronics, driving on your track. It also appears that the current ratings have nothing to do with whether they work well under race conditions, or not.

If you get problems with a booster, go back to a receiver pack (the new LiFe 6.6v ones look best, or the 1/2AAA NiMh) and test again. If that removes the problem, then change booster, or stick with a receiver pack. The one available in the UK that Trev and I use (RC Dynamics) that has proved faultless across many different cars and electronics set-ups. I hope it will become more widely available for you guys, as it is a fit-and-forget item weighing less than 5g!

HTH
Old 01-10-2010, 02:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by danjoy25
Originally Posted by Mark506
Here's mine new XL. Just wired it up a couple days ago. I'm running a Tekin RS, Futuba 9650, Spektrum SR3500 Reciver, Reedy 4600 40c 1cell, and a Thunder Power 250mah 7.4 receiver pack.
I didn't run a voltage regulator with my setup. Tekin RS, Spektrum SR3500 Rx, Futaba 9602 servo, Thunder Power 5000/40C LiPo and Losi MicroT 7.4v 180mAh receiver pack. It ran faultlessly for about 50 races until I fitted the RC Dynamics booster.

However (there's always a however!! ) my team mate tried the same set-up with a Futaba 9650, and the servo glitched around all the time. He fitted a 5-cell NiMh pack, and the problem went away. Try a LiPo receiver pack, but if you have any doubts, fit a regulator. Alternatives are the NiMh 5-cell pack, or the new LiFe packs from Maxamps (I think!) that are 6.6v.

The answer is the RC Dyanmics booster. In the meantime, I hope the options above are good enough for you to find one that works. HTH
Old 01-10-2010, 04:01 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by SlowerOne
Alternatives are the NiMh 5-cell pack, or the new LiFe packs from Maxamps (I think!) that are 6.6v.

The answer is the RC Dyanmics booster. In the meantime, I hope the options above are good enough for you to find one that works. HTH
I have two LiFe Rx packs, both IP 200mAh packs, model number IP-LE2002S. They are available from Demon in the UK or various places around the world. They work pretty well, a touch bulky and heavy at 15.5g (plus a switch) compared to a booster though.

I bought them as a backup just in case I needed them, but since getting the RC Dynamics booster I don't think I ever will!

Trev
Old 01-10-2010, 02:02 PM
Tech Rookie

hello i try today and it's not really good...
my confg:
LRP TC SPHERE modes: 2 5 0 0
Lipo SMC 1S 4900 50c
Motor LRP 9.5 Stock BL ratio 58
LiFe Pack 6.6v for the servo

all is working good but only during 3min!!!!after there is no punch as the end of pack...this problem appear with or without the LiFe pack and with other ratio as 65
anyone have the same probleme??
maybe my controller is not aviable for lipo 1S???
thank' for help me...
Old 02-03-2010, 04:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stical
Hi Tiko,

I'm presuming that you're running the Black Art R8C body ?

Car really looks nice,clean layout.

Erik
Thanks Erik, No actually it’s the Proto-Form AMR-12 Lightweight Body.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Have a question for you guys.

I have a servo wire, its a KO, its not very long like Hitecs, so I dont really need to cut it, I just want to know what you use to hold wire up against say a servo. Or say I was to hide some under the servo is there anything better then tape that will make it stick there but still able to take off easily?

Im trying to find ways of holding wire down to either the chassis orup against an ESC or servo.

If been looking at all the pics, but its hard to see.
thanks

s

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.