Community
Wiki Posts
Search

lrp spx stock spec

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 03:27 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

so would the SPX have any over heating issues if using it in VTA with 21.5 lipo combo? as per USVTA rules rollout is 4.2-4.3 no room at all for dropping a couple teeth on the pinion.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:54 AM
Tech Master

I'm going for the Tekin RS pro. I have seen the spx and it's faster on long tracks but smaller tracks it's not much faster than a competition. 0,3 is in viol but in belgium on a smaller track it isn't that much, wile i have seen the tekin win 0,5 on the same track.
To have control over the timing and the acceleration is great.
THe Tekin was sunday the fastest on the track in Belgium but the driver was not the best.
On the straight the car was by far the fastest without losing in the punch in the slower part of the track.

But the spx and the Tekin are the 2 fastest.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Adam?
I've heard reports from Snowbirds that it requires quite a bit different gearing. That said, I'm pretty sure the TQ in the 17.5 rubber and foam classes was using a Tekin RS Pro!
i was at the snowbirds most guys say they used porfile 7 it was like the car was running two speed
Old 02-02-2009, 11:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by canadian_blast
so would the SPX have any over heating issues if using it in VTA with 21.5 lipo combo? as per USVTA rules rollout is 4.2-4.3 no room at all for dropping a couple teeth on the pinion.
I don't think so.........21.5 motor has a lot less power so heat is not a big issue..........

for 13.5, 10.5 and 9.5 it will demand a shorter ratio.......

Originally Posted by tc3 racer sc
i was at the snowbirds most guys say they used porfile 7 it was like the car was running two speed

yep, somewhere around 70~80% of trigger travel the speedo goes wild and the motor screeeeeeeeeeeeam
Old 02-02-2009, 02:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by canadian_blast
There is no rule for 21.5 that I am aware of that says you can't gear lower than 4.2 to 4.3, i.e. smaller pinion, that is just a suggested starting range to get you in the ballpark, and the newest version of his rules read 4.2 to 4.6 suggested. with a limit of 4.2, so by the rules, a ratio of 5.0 or whatever should be legal... The only actual FDR limit in the transam rule is the 4.2 for 21.5, no lower, everything else is just a gudeline to get you in the ballpark, your tack may vary however...
Old 02-02-2009, 05:35 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

good to know regarding the rule change on 21.5 on of our tracks uses the suggested FDR as a rule we must run.

in fact my local track does not allow 21.5 lipo combination ... however there is another track 1 hour down the road that does. works out well, I get to set up and run 2 different cars the 21.5 lipo and 17.5 4 cell.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Have anyone tried running SPX Stock Spec with a mod motor, such as a 4.5T in a touring car? Can it handle the heat?
Old 04-03-2009, 04:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by billythekid
Have anyone tried running SPX Stock Spec with a mod motor, such as a 4.5T in a touring car? Can it handle the heat?
the suggested limit is 8.5T

U run mine with 6-cell and Lipo with 9.5T motor, at profile #7 the motor reaches 95ºC...........the Esc without heatsink and fan reaches 60ºC......

I'd say with a 8.5T I would have to use profile 6 or even 5...........

so I don't think a 4.5T motor will handle the heat even at profile 5......
I also don't know if the Esc would live with such high drain........
Old 04-03-2009, 05:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by billythekid
Presumably it would in the lower profiles (1 to 4), the higher profiles are designed for stock motors only.
The Mod profiles are similar to the standard version.

Skiddins
Old 04-04-2009, 09:32 AM
Tech Elite

How warm are your Spec ESC's getting when running 10.5's?

Thanks
Skiddins
Old 04-07-2009, 11:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Hey guys,
Was hoping for a little info regarding running a 10.5 with the SPX.
Im currently running a 38mm rollout (rubber tires) on profile 8, for me this seems to be the quickest profile as Ive dropped it to 6 and ran .3 a lap slower.
Not sure if I need to drop the gearing as well......... little help please.

Any of you guys have any suggestions on profiles and gearing for 10.5 (LRP)?
Im also considering trying another motor for some more speed...Novak 10.5???
any suggestions?

any help would be much appreciated.
thanks.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Have you guys tried running SPX Stock Spec with a 2wd buggy and truck with 13.5T and 17.5T? I am just curious if the extra timing provided by profile 5-8 would have any effect in off road stock classes.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SalvadoriRacing
the suggested limit is 8.5T

U run mine with 6-cell and Lipo with 9.5T motor, at profile #7 the motor reaches 95ºC...........the Esc without heatsink and fan reaches 60ºC......

I'd say with a 8.5T I would have to use profile 6 or even 5...........

so I don't think a 4.5T motor will handle the heat even at profile 5......
I also don't know if the Esc would live with such high drain........
How do you get the 8.5T number? The manual says anything over 4 turns. Am I missing something here?
Old 04-08-2009, 02:07 PM
Tech Elite

I'll answer some of my own questions first

Setting '6', with a track temp of 24degC, my motor was coming off at 50degC and the speedo was very warm, just enough to hold my finger on (without the heatsink).

Took the profile up to '7' and the motor came off at 70degC! while the ESC was 60degC

This was all with the same gearing as usual.

Several other guys were one pinion down.
This was on medium grip mid-size asphalt;

Several people commented it was a rocket down the straight and into the sweeper.

It does require the room to wind itself up to speed, so I'm not sure how effective it would be on smaller tracks or in off road where there aren't any large straights and grip is not as high as on-road.

Skiddins

Last edited by Skiddins; 04-08-2009 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Skiddins
I'll answer some of my own questions first

Setting '6', with a track temp of 24degC, my motor was coming off at 50degC and the speedo was very warm, just enough to hold my finger on (without the heatsink).

Took the profile up to '7' and the motor came off at 70degC! while the ESC was 60degC

This was all with the same gearing as usual.

Several other guys were one pinion down.
This was on medium grip mid-size asphalt;

Several people commented it was a rocket down the straight and into the sweeper.

It does require the room to wind itself up to speed, so I'm not sure how effective it would be on smaller tracks or in off road where there aren't any large straights and grip is not as high as on-road.

Skiddins
I think this is where dropping a few teeth on the pinion comes into play... it takes time to rev up therefore higher ratio(higher number) would allow it to spools up quicker

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.