Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree108Likes

Team Associated T5M Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 11:50 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by dbowen
Ya it does that is the whole reason they went to the 4 gear in the first place so that the motor rotation went the same way as the tires to generate more on power traction from the torque of the motor rotation. I do not mean the the car goes in reverse when you hit the throttle I mean the motor spins the opposite way as compared to the four gear.
The AE 3 gear tranny motorplate is mounted on the opposite side of the buggy than a 4 gear mm tranny. Motor rotation is the same as 3 gear rm and 4 gear mm the motor rotates the same direction as the wheels.

Last edited by rctinman; 02-18-2015 at 11:54 AM. Reason: left out 1 word
Old 02-18-2015, 12:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rctinman
The AE 3 gear tranny motorplate is mounted on the opposite side of the buggy than a 4 gear mm tranny. Motor rotation is the same as 3 gear rm and 4 gear mm the motor rotates the same direction as the wheels.
I am sorry I don't quite understand what you are saying are you saying that the motor rotates the same as the wheels in the 3 gear? Because if so that is incorrect it does not rotate the same direction as the tires in the 3 gear. It does in the 4 gear which is the whole reason why they added another idler gear or the car would go in reverse when you hit the gas.

Again I recommend anyone who doesn't understand or disagrees with what I am saying to read this article:

http://www.petitrc.com/setup/durango...gurationGuide/

Last edited by dbowen; 02-18-2015 at 12:26 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:00 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by dbowen
I am sorry I don't quite understand what you are saying are you saying that the motor rotates the same as the wheels in the 3 gear? Because if so that is incorrect it does not rotate the same direction as the tires in the 3 gear. It does in the 4 gear which is the whole reason why they added another idler gear or the car would go in reverse when you hit the gas.

Again I recommend anyone who doesn't understand or disagrees with what I am saying to read this article:

http://www.petitrc.com/setup/durango...gurationGuide/
I understand how mm works its been around since the 80s. Yes i am saying the motor and wheels spin the same direction on the AE 3 gear mm.
The durrango 3 gear mm is a different set up the motor spins the opposite direction of the wheels because it uses a 3 gear motorplate and gearbox.
AE has flipped the motorplate so it mounts on the other side of the gearbox so you dont need a extra idler gear and the motor spins the same direction as the wheels.
Look at pics of what side the motorplates are mounted on the b5m and b5m lite.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The rotor does NOT rotate the same direction as the wheels in the ae 3 gear MM.

It's the same as a RM, only the motor is in front of the gearbox.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I understand how mm works its been around since the 80s. Yes i am saying the motor and wheels spin the same direction on the AE 3 gear mm.
The durrango 3 gear mm is a different set up the motor spins the opposite direction of the wheels because it uses a 3 gear motorplate and gearbox.
AE has flipped the motorplate so it mounts on the other side of the gearbox so you dont need a extra idler gear and the motor spins the same direction as the wheels.
Not sure why you think it is different than the Rango. Trust me i have the 3 gear in my car and it is the same as the illustration in the link of the 3 gear MM.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:50 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

haha, people just drive The 3 gear takes away rear bite on power. I like it in my B5M for high bite 17.5 racing. The ST has HUGE tires. I suspect the effect will be lessened in ST. In any case, 3 gear is something to try when you have rear grip to spare.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I made a little diagram showing the directions of the gears.
Motor and wheels spin in opposite directions on 3 gear RM & MM
Motor and wheels spin same direction on 4 gear MM
Attached Thumbnails Team Associated T5M Discussion-b5-trans.jpg  
Old 02-18-2015, 02:28 PM
Tech Champion

Oh dear lord not this again....
Old 02-18-2015, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jmuck69
Oh dear lord not this again....
Anyone know why my ball cups are tight? Is that better?
Drbrake likes this.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:11 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Kraig
Anyone know why my ball cups are tight? Is that better?
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Why does the movie Groundhog Day come to mind...?
Old 02-18-2015, 04:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Lord forgive me for opening my mouth...

Here goes, with the three options that associated gives you, rear motor 3 gear, mid motor 4 gear, and mid motor 3 gear, the motor itself never reverses rotation. It always spins the same direction in regards to the shaft and the can.

Rear motor 3 gear, and mid motor 3 gear, both have the pinion and spur on the right hand side, with the pinion shaft rotating opposite direction of the tires.

Mid motor 4 gear, has the pinion and spur on the left hand side with the pinion shaft rotating in the same direction as the tires.

The shaft always spins the same direction inside the motor itself. I do not understand why this is so hard for everybody to follow along with it.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:15 PM
Tech Adept

It's really not hard to follow along with. I understand that some people just really aren't very mechanically minded. But you would also thing that anyone racing R/C cars would have a little mechanical knowledge.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)

Originally Posted by Socket

Did he buy every part separately to make a kit?
Old 02-18-2015, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Flyintaco138
Did he buy every part separately to make a kit?
Sponsored drivers kits come without a box.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:56 PM
Tech Champion

3 gear - high traction (carpet, sugared tracks, black groove)
4 gear - everything else.

that's all you need to know. No need to overly complicated and study the nuances of 3 vs. 4 gear. Honestly, 4 gear will work on all surfaces.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.