Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight building and setup

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 03:51 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Fred Perkins
This weekend I ran my 8ight for the first time. Love this buggy! I did buy it used and had a fuel tank issue. The cap was bad then before the main i found one of the seams had cracked. I swapped the tank with the spare I had and it ran fine. I did buy another spare this week just in case. Is this a on going problem? Has any one tried the aluminum tank from RD logics?
I have had my share of tank issues with the 8ight. Check out this thread for some discussion on this topic.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...ting-seam.html
Old 09-11-2008, 04:40 PM
Nik
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by phixd
is it the standard in the 4 shoe clutch to run matching opposite shoes
for example: 2 carbon and 2 aluminum on opposite sides with springs to match
i mean, that's the stock setup.

Would it give a more gradual effect if lets say, you run 4 of the same shoes with 4 different springs: lightest to hardest? or is this a bad idea?

all input/criticism is appreciated.
it woudl be more gradual but it would put a lot of load and wear on One shoe.

Id keep the stock 2alum/ 2carbons set up. it works pretty good.

I haven't been to hotrod in a while, but I ran all 4 Losi aluminum shoes, with all gold or all silver springs. Its pretty punchy, but good on a tight high bite track.

you could even try 2 gold and 2 silver springs. Just try and space them evenly apart, so it doesn't put extra stress on your bearings ect. because it isnt balanced.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:33 PM
Tech Regular

Last week I tried the green-plastic and gold-aluminum setup that I've seen posted here a few times now.

I liked it a lot, you have good acceleration but with very little wheel spin. In the corners is were it helped out the most, very easy to keep the power on without spinning out and still good punch for the exit.

Of course it may not be the best for all engine and pipe setups but it works very well for the GRP.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Plus 1 on the clutch set up. With less wheel spin, comes better mileage too! This clutch set up can be used just about anywhere. Dialed.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Sorry, know it's been asked, but couldn't find it...

How long can you run clutch shoes? Do you go by the length or the thickness of the flat area out at the tip?

Txs
Old 09-12-2008, 10:02 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Man i cant believe how much a good setup benefits you!!! Problem is i dont have it. . I took my raceroller out of the box and started racing it, ive done pretty good in the sportsman class with a stock setup. Last weekend we had a race at our local track CVR and it was a money race which will bring in a few local pros from Northern Cali. During the race i was taking my lines ok but one of the pros drove on the inside of me on a tight turn while going pretty damn fast. Track conditions were horrible due to the fact our water pump broke down before the race so it was very dry and loose. He was also running a losi buggy. I havent messed with camber or toe so i dont know where to start. It sucks when you know what lines you can take but your car doesnt want to.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:35 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

After running my car last week it looks like the Truhe Nitro Challange setup is the one to go with as a base setup. The car was right on with that setup and then with a little help from this forum it seems that the 8ight prefers softer rubber when it comes to tires, going with some M3 I had the car seemed hooked. At least for me the car was just about as good as it could get, after that it came down to driver. I am going to switch over to buggy next season just because this car is great the way it is. This is the first vehicles "8ight and 8ight-T" I have owned that I feel I am the only cause of its poor finish at the end of a race. I have had a lot more fun this year just because of that fact, that and the Slash but that's another story.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Does anyone here to run Silver Springs in front and Green Springs in Rear?
All the setup sheets on the Losi site run them and never seen anyone run different setup or springs
Old 09-17-2008, 06:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Drift_Buggy
All the setup sheets on the Losi site run them and never seen anyone run different setup or springs
I`ve tried silver in front and like greens better .
Old 09-17-2008, 06:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Drift_Buggy
simple , the next step up on spring rate is a bit to hard for the buggy , as i found out that most track dont have the same tracksion as others do , the next step from silver which its used most of the time for the front on the buggy is black which they use on truggy 8ight setup and for green the next step will be grey , just because of the weight differense between the two , the buggy will push with harder spring all the way around and it will be hard to control , with the truggy, because you got more weight transfer side to side and bigger wheels you run this kind of springs and have pretty close the same feel of the buggy with softer springs , losi did their homework went it came spring rates in such , not like other companies like XRAY ,
they will put out fifteen thousands of different springs with rates .5 lbs from
each other ,,,,, now mike truhe setup seen to be the most popular setup for starting point , from there only small changes are needed to make this animal
8ight dialed to your home track:tire :
Old 09-18-2008, 01:45 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Clutch shims

Hey guys i need help with shimming my clutch. I used the blue aluminum version for the longest time but switched to the Black steel version recently and i can't get the outer clutch bearing to last more than 20 min. Im using the quick change motor mount so my mesh/alignment hasn't changed and it is good.

current setup is:

motor - washer - collet - steel flywheel - flywheel nut - shim - bearing - clutch bell - bearing - cupped washer and screw.

it has about .5mm end play so it seems to be shimmed correctly.

This is with a GRP Ninja engine so if anyone can help it would be appreciated.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

If I were to look at it, I'd start with the engine crankshaft. The area the outer bearing rides on might be excessively worn down causing the bearing to move away and towards the crank. Try measuring this area and compare it to an area on the crank where the bearings don't ride.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:22 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 440 (99%+)

I'm curious what all was changed between the first run 8ight B Pro kits and the now current 8ights?

I can think of the following:

shock orings
wider flywheel
clutch shoes

What else did they change in the kits?
Old 09-19-2008, 03:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

So far i have found this for changes .

rear hub carriers
front caster blocks
rear transmission case
diff cases
chassis
radio tray
center diff mounts
steering ackerman
front and rear arm
screws that hold the shocks on to the arms
brake disk
F and R shock towers
shock bottoms that hold the springs on
Old 09-19-2008, 03:33 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 440 (99%+)

NM

Last edited by MattP; 09-20-2008 at 12:54 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.