Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight building and setup

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 08:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra
100% the same......and Air......are u talkin about the pins that have the cut out in them as apposed to the non cut out pin ?
No no. Just the shafts. Nevermind the pins. I'm wondering if the front CV shaft is close in length to both front axle shafts. I think I got them mixed up somewhere, but I've been running this way for a while, I guess.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:59 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by air8
No no. Just the shafts. Nevermind the pins. I'm wondering if the front CV shaft is close in length to both front axle shafts. I think I got them mixed up somewhere, but I've been running this way for a while, I guess.

Ohh...ya...I got ya....ill go check.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:04 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

the center is about 5.5mm shorter then the F/R bones.....and also the center's have a Taper to them on the CV end....so i dunno how u got those mixed up....or how its working.....
Old 09-08-2008, 09:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

OK. Thanx bud. I had the spares mixed in there also. I wuz corn-fuzed. LOL. all good now. For some reason I was thinking the Center CV was supposed to be longer. Eh...
Old 09-08-2008, 11:11 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I am trying to figure out a small issue I had over the weekend. I went with the Mike Truhe setup except kept the stock sway bars and switched over to the 8ight T servo spring and Crime Fighter M2. First time I drove it, the car seemed to have a bad push mid corner out off power, the on power steering was just a little bit too much. Was wondering if going to the 2.3 swaybars will help or should I start by moving the hubs forward. The car was perfect everywhere else and surprised the crap out of me with how much steering it did have, the last 1/8 scale buggy I had drove was a Kyosho K2. But I know from driving 8ight T all season that the buggy should turn better than it, and I know it will probably be a small setup change and the car will be perfect.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jammin_Xtream49
...the car seemed to have a bad push mid corner out off power...
One thing to check quickly before chasing setup is to make sure that your front brake isn't grabbing really hard with even the slightest braking force. My buggy and those of several other guys at the local track have had this problem for some reason, which causes an off-power push that can not be tuned out no matter what we did.

Probably not your problem, but it's quick and easy to check.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 264 (100%+)

This weekend I ran my 8ight for the first time. Love this buggy! I did buy it used and had a fuel tank issue. The cap was bad then before the main i found one of the seams had cracked. I swapped the tank with the spare I had and it ran fine. I did buy another spare this week just in case. Is this a on going problem? Has any one tried the aluminum tank from RD logics?
Old 09-09-2008, 08:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

I am trying to figure out a small issue I had over the weekend. I went with the Mike Truhe setup except kept the stock sway bars and switched over to the 8ight T servo spring and Crime Fighter M2. First time I drove it, the car seemed to have a bad push mid corner out off power, the on power steering was just a little bit too much. Was wondering if going to the 2.3 swaybars will help or should I start by moving the hubs forward. The car was perfect everywhere else and surprised the crap out of me with how much steering it did have, the last 1/8 scale buggy I had drove was a Kyosho K2. But I know from driving 8ight T all season that the buggy should turn better than it, and I know it will probably be a small setup change and the car will be perfect.
I would try the sway bars before anything. Then i would experiment with different tires. Ive found that the 8ight seems to work best with M3s even where other cars hook with M2s. I've ran the Truhe setup all season from track to track it has been hooked up for me. All I've changed was tires and clutch springs.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:18 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fred Perkins
This weekend I ran my 8ight for the first time. Love this buggy! I did buy it used and had a fuel tank issue. The cap was bad then before the main i found one of the seams had cracked. I swapped the tank with the spare I had and it ran fine. I did buy another spare this week just in case. Is this a on going problem? Has any one tried the aluminum tank from RD logics?
I have 3 gallons on mine and have never had a tank issue. I've heard of a few people having issues, but not for some time.

Since I've yet to have any tank issues, I never considered the aluminum. I like being able to see what my fuel level is and also not having to worry about denting a nice piece of thin aluminum.

You should be OK with the stocker as long as you don't over-tighten it, don't leave fuel in it while it's at rest or enter any "lets see who can jump off this building" contests.

Enjoy your 8ight. If you want somemore tuning options, I HIGHLY suggest the adjustable aluminum pivots. In fact, that's the only hop-up I've installed, and I'm glad I did. After tuning to 3 toe/3 anti, I see why Truhe did it. It woke up an already aggresive handling buggy.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'd first try other tires before changing the setup. Go with something a bit less aggresive, (Bowtie, Eclipse....) and see if it helps. I bet it'll be night and day.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:34 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

To Walt, I actualy had the exact problem you were talking about for the first two rounds, the car had a locking issue with the brakes. First run I almost thought there was something majorly wrong with the center diff. But fixed that with a set of Indo's and a free Ball point pin at the track.

baruke1- I have just switched the sway bar's, question is that true with all the tire patterns the 8ight handles better with the softer compounds "M3". I was looking at a few patterns to add to my collection but not sure which compound to go with on the 8ight.

Thanks once again for the help!

David "Tiny" Johnson
Old 09-09-2008, 11:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

Well I made my choice and I made the best one imo. I was trying to decided between the losi 8ight and the xray xb 808. It came down to doing a pros and cans of both and the losi won that hands down. yeah the 808 made look better and have some nice fetures but looks don't win races. I've run losi before , XX and a XXX and the XXX-nt drake edition. Losi is the best iom and i hope they clean house at the worlds. Turboxrayt1fk05 that is one sweet looking buggy. How do you like that ninja .21? I've always ran rb/novarossi.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

To Walt, I actualy had the exact problem you were talking about for the first two rounds, the car had a locking issue with the brakes. First run I almost thought there was something majorly wrong with the center diff. But fixed that with a set of Indo's and a free Ball point pin at the track.

baruke1- I have just switched the sway bar's, question is that true with all the tire patterns the 8ight handles better with the softer compounds "M3". I was looking at a few patterns to add to my collection but not sure which compound to go with on the 8ight.

Thanks once again for the help!

David "Tiny" Johnson

I my self never really liked crimes on my car. I always run either the bow fighter setup with the outer pins on the crimes 45* or bow ties. How ever I recently started to run the losi eclipse tires in red and love them. Best my car has ever felt.... As far as compound the eight definitely prefers softer compounds like the m3.

FRED PERKINS: I wouldn't run the alum tank it will just add weight in a place you don't want it.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default losi eclipse tires

yes i agree with RON G i recently ran with the eclipse tire and love them they kick a**!!!!
Old 09-09-2008, 03:28 PM
Tech Regular

Eclipse red best tire I've ran so far, at least for the track I run on.

Ive never liked bow-ties on the 8ight, no side bite.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.