Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 960....

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 02:45 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Winner's Circle
Jeff,

The 902110 is a 950 tank which is slightly different thatn a 960 tank. The difference is in the area at the back right where the carburetor slide is. The 960 has a deeper recess to clear the carb slide.

The Vector tank is PN# 1430 and it is a completely different shape as far as the length and width and will not fit into the area provided on the radio tray.

I have both of these tanks in stock in case you can't fix what you have.

Happy New Year!
Thanks
I bought it on my lhs
anyway
I'm mounting a Mega ZX21 DSII on the Vector Chassis and I've got a problem. The bottom of the crankcase is touching the chassis.. The manual says it cannot touch but don't explain how to solve it.
What should I do?
Old 01-04-2007, 03:24 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jeff1
Thanks
I bought it on my lhs
anyway
I'm mounting a Mega ZX21 DSII on the Vector Chassis and I've got a problem. The bottom of the crankcase is touching the chassis.. The manual says it cannot touch but don't explain how to solve it.
What should I do?
hm, maybe you can grind on the chassis 1-2 mm?
Old 01-04-2007, 03:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jeff1
Thanks
I bought it on my lhs
anyway
What should I do?
You can dremel the chassis under the centerline of the engine to make room. Don't take out much material but just enough to get it to clear. Serpent used to offer some shims that sat on top of the motor mount in order to space the engine up slightly but I have not seen any of them in years.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

Thanks
I bought it on my lhs
anyway
What should I do?
You can also try the engine monoblock it may clear and you dont have to grind the chassis,i have a vector and ill try the monoblock later today and ill let you know...
Old 01-04-2007, 07:44 PM
Tech Regular

I have some Kyosho shims 3x5mm 0.1 0.2 and 0.3mm of thickness. hmm.. do you mean place them between the engine "support" and engine mount?
If that don't work I will try to grind it a little, I will try that for last.. I'm hesitating for this alternative because I think it will take rigidity of the chassis and make it weak, not sure
Thanks guys!!
I'm waiting your test Roniel
see you
Old 01-04-2007, 09:04 PM
Tech Addict

Jeff:

The monoblock does not work but i found a set of the spacers that Lee mentioned that Serpent made for that,pm me with your address and ill mail them to you...
Old 01-05-2007, 12:00 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

This same problem rised whit the EVO5 engine, which also has a bigger crankcase, with the EVO5 a new set of engine blocks where introduced, so maybe you should mount the ZX on these.....
I think you need a set off these:
http://www.mytsn.com/product/902340/

@Roniel R, the monoblock does not fit?....
Old 01-05-2007, 05:11 AM
Tech Addict

No the monoblock does not work its about 5MM short...
Old 01-05-2007, 05:22 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by M7H
This same problem rised whit the EVO5 engine, which also has a bigger crankcase, with the EVO5 a new set of engine blocks where introduced, so maybe you should mount the ZX on these.....
I think you need a set off these:
http://www.mytsn.com/product/902340/

Its also better not to use the monoblock! A monoblock will restrict the max rpms due to vibrations....
Old 01-05-2007, 05:34 AM
Tech Addict

Its also better not to use the monoblock! A monoblock will restrict the max rpms due to vibrations....
Explain to me how the monoblock creates more vibration than the regular two piece motor mounts????
Old 01-05-2007, 05:57 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Roniel_R
Explain to me how the monoblock creates more vibration than the regular two piece motor mounts????
The two piece mounts are standallone, so vibrations will not directly be transfered to the other mount. The monoblock will directly transfer vibrations from one side to the other... these collisions in vibrations will restrict the performance of the engine.

This is a tested statement
Old 01-05-2007, 06:11 AM
Tech Addict

WOW you learn something new every day....
Old 01-05-2007, 06:44 AM
Suspended

Default Developments

There are a lot of things to learn and therefore a lot of new developments.
Here is one of them http://www.serpent.com/product/903220

Smaller bearings have a smaller contact footprint and less rotation-mass. This results in a smoother and lighter rotation. On the other side it will also reduce about 30 grams of overall weight.

Stay tuned, other developments are on track....
Old 01-05-2007, 06:46 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by PMSorber
The two piece mounts are standallone, so vibrations will not directly be transfered to the other mount. The monoblock will directly transfer vibrations from one side to the other... these collisions in vibrations will restrict the performance of the engine.

This is a tested statement
and it is not because your JP engines don't fit in a monoblock?... (don't know, just wondering)....

But Pieter, you might have a point there.....

But a monoblock also makes the area around the engine a lot stiffer, which then eliminates as much as possible any stress on the crankcase.....

So in the end......
Old 01-05-2007, 06:55 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by M7H
and it is not because your JP engines don't fit in a monoblock?... (don't know, just wondering)....

But Pieter, you might have a point there.....

But a monoblock also makes the area around the engine a lot stiffer, which then eliminates as much as possible any stress on the crankcase.....

So in the end......
They fit on the monoblock without any problems, there is a Novarossi monoblock you know ...

So in the end martin ... we broke the monoblock down to two pieces and gained about 1,5k-rpm. Stiffer on this block is BAD!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.