Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novak Kinetic

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 10:12 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by pmes
Will the Kinetic 2s work with a 1s pack?
Yes. But our upcoming Kinetic 1S is configured specifically for single cell, with a low profile HS, smaller TransCap module, soldered (not plug-in) wires and the rx pack harness installed.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:30 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by gameover
couple of questions regarding Kinetic timing values...

From reading the docs i see:
Boost Delay
Boost Mode
Timing Set Point (RPM Low)
Maximum Timing RPM (RPM Hi)
Timing Level

Questions:
1. Boost Mode says it applies maximum possible motor timing at full throttle (after boost delay). Does this jump to "Timing Level" or is it some other amount of timing?
[B]exactly as stated it alters speedo timing when full throttle is applied. say you set at 45 timing it will apply this amount untill u hit full throttle then it jumps the timing to max. great for long straights.

2. Without using Novalink we can adjust Timing Level & Timing Set Point RPM directly on the speedy. Timing Level #8 is called "Boost". What does this mean?
[B]yes,but only preset levels, level 8 is 55* plus additional amount at full throttle.

3. What is the default setting of Boost Delay, Boost Mode, Maximum Timing RPM when not using Novalink?
using profile 1 boost delay is not adjustable.
(boost mode) i assume you mean timing applied? that is 0*
max timing set point can only be set with novalink. but the default on P1 is 19.5. that is start. so at the default on the speedo you will have 0 timing applied.(sportsman)
Thanks for any reply.

Chris...
hopes this helps chris, these are the values as i understand them.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:32 AM
Company Representative

Default Response from Novak Engineering....

Boost Delay
Boost Mode
Timing Level

Questions:
1. Boost Mode says it applies maximum possible motor timing at full throttle (after boost delay). Does this jump to "Timing Level" or is it some other amount of timing?

Boost mode applies the maximum amount of available timing (very close to 60
degrees).

2. Without using Novalink we can adjust Timing Level & Timing Set Point RPM directly on the speedy. Timing Level #8 is called "Boost". What does this mean?

Timing level setting #4
1 0 Timing
2 10 Timing
3 15 Timing
4 20 Timing
5 30 Timing
6 40 Timing
7 55 Timing
8 55 Timing
Once you get to full throttle (and after 100 mS delay) full 60 degree (special Novak Boost mode).

Timing set point adjust #5
Allows the user to set the starting point where the timing is applied
1 19500 RPM and maximum Timing (set by Timing level setting) is applied at 36600
RPM
2 14000 RPM and maximum Timing (set by Timing level setting) is applied at 29300
RPM
3 12700 RPM and maximum Timing (set by Timing level setting) is applied at 18300
RPM
4 9100 RPM and maximum Timing (set by Timing level setting) is applied at 15400
RPM
5 6500 RPM and maximum Timing (set by Timing level setting) is applied at 15400
RPM
6 5500 RPM and maximum Timing (set by Timing level setting) is applied at 13900
RPM
7 4500 RPM and maximum Timing (set by Timing level setting) is applied at 12200
RPM
8 4000 RPM and maximum Timing (set by Timing level setting) is applied at 9100
RPM

3. What is the default setting of Boost Delay, Boost Mode, Maximum Timing RPM when not using Novalink?

100mS
Kinetic ESC timing is applied in a linear ramp up mode, at the starting RPM
approximate 3 degree of timing is applied and then its ramp to the maximum value
specified by Timing level setting #4.

Thanks for any reply.
Chris...
Old 08-09-2010, 10:35 AM
Tech Adept

Boost Delay
Boost Mode
Timing Level

Questions:
[B]exactly as stated it alters speedo timing when full throttle is applied. say you set at 45 timing it will apply this amount untill u hit full throttle then it jumps the timing to max. great for long straights.

[B]yes,but only preset levels, level 8 is 55* plus additional amount at full throttle.

using profile 1 boost delay is not adjustable.
(boost mode) i assume you mean timing applied? that is 0*
max timing set point can only be set with novalink. but the default on P1 is 19.5. that is start. so at the default on the speedo you will have 0 timing applied.(sportsman)
Thanks for any reply.

Chris...
hopes this helps chris, these are the values as i understand them.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:38 AM
Company Representative

The firmware download file is now fixed. Thanks for the "heads up"!

The Havoc Pro SC is not PC programmable. But all 8 timing levels can be adjusted from the esc.

Originally Posted by macdude
So will the novalink work with the havok pro SC?

Also, the downloads on the novak web site are not correct. The first one for the Novalink Software, will not run once un zipped.
And the update for the firmware is just the same file that is in the novalink software zip. The zip file has a different name, but when you unzip it, the file is the escProgrammer.exe file. So you might want to look at this.

Having used windows for a long time, I suspect that you should include the installer file, that way we can actually test the software out before the novalink ships. I see that it is no longer on back order on the novak site. It is everywhere else. So I should be able to get it this week. That's cool.

I can't wait to put this thing through its paces.

Do you have any starting rpm ranges for 17.5

Thanks.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:48 AM
Tech Adept

thanks for the detailed response NovakTwo!!! that blew mine outta the water.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:13 PM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by ed517
thanks for the detailed response NovakTwo!!! that blew mine outta the water.
I have an "in" with the Engineering Dept......
Old 08-09-2010, 01:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
That's sweet that you can adjust he RPM range directly on the controller. That definitely puts this above everything else out there right now. Even if it is a little more costly to start with.

Still wondering about the program not running on my windows xp machine. Is there an installer file? or should it just work. Or does it need the novalink plugged in to run?

Thanks
Old 08-09-2010, 03:16 PM
Tech Adept

NovakTwo, thanks for the excellent response to my questions! I've just one more.

Is there any chance the Boost timing will be configurable lower in a future firmware instead of the fixed 60 deg?

Chris...
Old 08-09-2010, 05:51 PM
Tech Rookie

The Kinetic is awesome. I love all the new adjustments and the timing.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by macdude
That's sweet that you can adjust he RPM range directly on the controller. That definitely puts this above everything else out there right now. Even if it is a little more costly to start with.

Still wondering about the program not running on my windows xp machine. Is there an installer file? or should it just work. Or does it need the novalink plugged in to run?

Thanks
right the software requires novaLink to connect
then the software will detect it, and splash the setting screen.

you must buy the novalink...
Old 08-10-2010, 01:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Novak Kintetic 2S AMP

NovakTwo what's the average AMP and the Max AMP for
the Novak Kinetic 2S ?
Old 08-10-2010, 06:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by irgo
right the software requires novaLink to connect
then the software will detect it, and splash the setting screen.

you must buy the novalink...
I can get the program to run now without the drivers for the novalink. I just get a bunch of error screens before it will launch. I have a novalink coming. The controller should be here tomorrow. But the link won't be here until later in the week.

I like how there is a description built into the interface. Every parameter is described very well. I also like the default timing ranges for different motors. That makes it easy to figure a good starting point.

Only thing I would like to see is maybe a better boost control. Right now it looks like there is only on or off. And then it just adds the max timing to the controller. I will have to see how this works at the track. I know I don't use the turbo ever on the tekin as the indoor track I race on is not big enough.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

The firmware download file is now fixed. Thanks for the "heads up"!

The Havoc Pro SC is not PC programmable. But all 8 timing levels can be adjusted from the esc.
Great to see that both files are fixed.

Thanks.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:37 AM
Tech Regular

Has anyone started to post settings setups for different motors - I am looking for a good starting point for 10.5 that is close to my outgoing GM120?

Stephen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.