Do you guys do a "whip" over jumps?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you guys do a "whip" over jumps?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 12:49 PM
Tech Regular

Whipping your car has zero benefit unless you are correcting for a bad takeoff, or setting up for a corner after a jump, or exiting a corner and not squared up while hitting a jump. All good drivers can and do make throttle and wheel corrections over jumps. Those of them who do whips over jumps on straight parts of the track are just playing and hurting their lap times.

The only way to adjust the height attained from a jump is to be on throttle up the face to bind the suspension and not allow rebound. Plain and simple.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
+1. Chill out guys.

I visited a track that actually had two sections of pipe that were set purposely so you COULD jump them. They would use neon green spray chalk to identify jumpable pipes.

Usually a S turn section, that would be an S turn section with a few jumps for 1/10th scale, but was a straight with a few jumps over the S and pipes for the 1/8th scales. Really neat, and fun.

That gives me a good idea for our backyard track.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mkorn
Whipping your car has zero benefit unless you are correcting for a bad takeoff, or setting up for a corner after a jump, or exiting a corner and not squared up while hitting a jump. All good drivers can and do make throttle and wheel corrections over jumps. Those of them who do whips over jumps on straight parts of the track are just playing and hurting their lap times.

The only way to adjust the height attained from a jump is to be on throttle up the face to bind the suspension and not allow rebound. Plain and simple.
3 circumstances in which it is beneficial to manipulate your car in the air is 3 more than zero(who's counting).
Old 09-07-2012, 04:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Well let me ask this, has anyone here ever run on a track with a 90 degree corner table? One of the current layouts I've run recently has 2 left handers in a row and doing a step on/step off line is unbelievably slow. In order to be fast I had to hit the lip on one side with my wheels turned full lock to the left and "whip" the back end in the air to land on the face of the downside of the first, go full speed into the next one where I would slide sideways right before the lip to "scrub" excessive speed and to stay low over the jump, "whip" it once again and land on the downside full wood so my stock t4 would clear the massive step up next with 5 feet of run up to it. An I happend to set the fast lap in qualifying... So anyone that says that you can't scrub doesn't know what they are talking about, and yes whipping the car over jumps can help if you do it right. Both just take practice

Last edited by Prostreet314; 09-08-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Prostreet314
Well let me ask this, has anyone here ever run on a track with a 90 degree corner table? One of the current layouts I've run recently has 2 left handers in a row and doing a step on/step off line is unbelievably slow. In order to be fast I had to hit the lip on one side with my wheels turned full lock to the left and "whip" the back end in the air to land in the face of the downside of the first, go full speed into the next one where I would slide sideways right before the lip to "scrub" excessive speed and to stay low over the jump, "whip" it once again and land on the downside full wood so my stock t4 would clear the massive step up next with 5 feet of run up to it. An I happend to set the fast lap in qualifying... So anyone that says that you can't scrub doesn't know what they are talking about, and yes whipping the car over jumps can help if you do it right. Both just take practice
That's awesome... Also gives me a weird boner.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)

Originally Posted by Punt66
I know it was practice. But i see top pros showing up to events and doing that regularly. Nobody wants to speak up.
Originally Posted by Huggy Bear
That one might have been during practice but I have seen people do that in races too.
Really, during a race!? I agree 100% on that and your right, no one will say anything. OK den, mah-bad!!
Old 09-08-2012, 04:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Awesome thread! Loving all these videos.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

i do it for fun and cool points, gets me in trouble more than anything. its become a bad habit now after a couple years. if the race gets serious though, i can turn it off and fighting the urge gets me to drive better.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I have been practicing this a lot in vrc lately, but I still cant manage to do it in real life. For now I am just gonna focus on not wrecking
Old 09-08-2012, 09:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mkorn

+1
Old 12-08-2012, 06:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I hope everyone who watches this thread has seen this, if not here is Elliot Boots' huge whip during Q4 of the worlds.
enjoy:
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:52 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by ebasher219
I hope everyone who watches this thread has seen this, if not here is Elliot Boots' huge whip during Q4 of the worlds.
enjoy:
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Not a whip, that was a save. The car rolled because of the rough take off of the jump. Then he steered into it to corrected it. Same principal at work, and if you have quick enough reflexes to pull of saves like this you can whip if you want. But in this case he didn't whip it on purpose.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:07 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by R.Shackleford
Not a whip, that was a save. The car rolled because of the rough take off of the jump. Then he steered into it to corrected it. Same principal at work, and if you have quick enough reflexes to pull of saves like this you can whip if you want. But in this case he didn't whip it on purpose.
ya i know it was a save. but i still thought it fit in this thread and neobuggy called it w whip so for consistency's sake i typed whip.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

I whip my Tamiya Hornet so bad!! when I jump big doubles with a turn straight after them
Old 12-10-2012, 08:20 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

He didn't do anything to save it, other than possibly hammering the throttle. The front wheels only turn right as the buggy is touching down. Basic physics saved him-- the gyroscopic action of the wheels righted the car in air. How do I know? I do it all the time, with absolutely no effort. He just got lucky that it pitched almost perfectly onto it's side. Any other attitude would have turned it into a cyclone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.