Like Tree9Likes

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 10:39 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hanulec
No clue.
When using them for rubber tire you must cut the "nub" below the threads in order to make ride height.
when I build shocks I have them measure 49.5mm from plastic shock bottom to top of threaded body without cap.
Thanks, but what I'm looking for is 28mm, 31mm, or ?? These shocks are amazingly smooth, and I'd like to use them on dirtoval car.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:40 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jdearhart
Thanks, but what I'm looking for is 28mm, 31mm, or ?? These shocks are amazingly smooth, and I'd like to use them on dirtoval car.
The shock shaft measures 28.5mm in length.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default right on!!!!!

Originally Posted by schmutz
Photon wins the 2011 Germany Summerchamps in Hann.Münden

1st, 2nd, 9th in Modified
4th, 5th in 13.5
4th, 5th, 9th, 11th in 17.5

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
BIG CONGRATS TOP GERMANY
Old 09-12-2011, 10:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Setup Help Please.

Just getting back into the indoor season so would like some advice from the Photon gurus. I ran this setup for a few months for 3 of our regional races during the winter season. It almost TQ’ed twice and I finish 2nd at our final race out of 50 drivers. I think it drives perfect except only with traction roll if I really pushed it hard when the grip came up. Funny thing was that someone told me he heard from Paul Lemieux that you can combat traction roll by instead of using harder springs, use softer springs. So I actually changed all four springs for the finals to one level softer and it ran great!

Anyways, I’m just prepping this car for next month and wondering what setup changes I can try to decrease traction roll but not lose corner speed. Please don’t tell me I need new parts.

Here’s the setup sheet. Hope you can read it. There’s a droop setting but I use up travel instead.

Thank you,

Ivan
Attached Thumbnails T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car-photon-setup.jpg  

Last edited by BoneCrusher; 09-13-2011 at 10:07 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:17 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Ivan - sway bars are like a spring - you can try disconnecting them. 306 rear spring is perfect. I'd play with the front spring and no bars.
Also -iif your next race is 1 month away - please replace those shock orings the week
of your race. I got lazy and didn't do that after letter the car sit for 1 month and the car didn't handle right.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Good setup,

Minor things you can try; lower the front role center a bit, make it the same as the rear. If I'm reading your setup sheet correctly 4mm up travel is a bit excessive try 3mm all around. Also try lower rear shock mounting position 2. Rubber top deck, should give you more steering if needed.

Paul is correct, lowering your roll center and using softer springs will stop traction rolling.

You should try a rear gear diff as well, really makes the rear of the car rotate.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Two questions:
  1. Where do I get the shims that go between the diff bearings and the bearing cams? Can't seem to find a part number cross reference or retailer with that listing. Yeah, pulled a bonehead and lost 2 of the 4.
  2. How much lateral play is prefered between the center drive bulkheads and the pulley/spur/pulley combo on the layshaft?
Old 09-13-2011, 04:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Buckaroo
Two questions:
  1. Where do I get the shims that go between the diff bearings and the bearing cams? Can't seem to find a part number cross reference or retailer with that listing. Yeah, pulled a bonehead and lost 2 of the 4.
  2. How much lateral play is prefered between the center drive bulkheads and the pulley/spur/pulley combo on the layshaft?
http://rcmarket.com.hk/index.php?cPath=51_98_249_250
Old 09-13-2011, 05:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Buckaroo
Two questions:
  1. Where do I get the shims that go between the diff bearings and the bearing cams? Can't seem to find a part number cross reference or retailer with that listing. PA-101215-C-1 Yeah, pulled a bonehead and lost 2 of the 4.
  2. How much lateral play is prefered between the center drive bulkheads and the pulley/spur/pulley combo on the layshaft? Very little. I'd say just enough so the bearings don't bind at all.
If the shims don't go beyond the edge of the layshaft, but are very close to the edge, you should be fine
Old 09-13-2011, 10:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ivan - sway bars are like a spring - you can try disconnecting them. 306 rear spring is perfect. I'd play with the front spring and no bars.
Also -iif your next race is 1 month away - please replace those shock orings the week
of your race. I got lazy and didn't do that after letter the car sit for 1 month and the car didn't handle right.
Thanks Hanulec!

So disconnecting the front 1.4mm sway bar will soften the front right? Would it be better to go thinner before disconnecting?

Shock o-rings is that the 30 or 40 kind?

I appreciate your help!

Ivan

Originally Posted by bkspeedo
Good setup,

Minor things you can try; lower the front role center a bit, make it the same as the rear. If I'm reading your setup sheet correctly 4mm up travel is a bit excessive try 3mm all around. Also try lower rear shock mounting position 2. Rubber top deck, should give you more steering if needed.

Paul is correct, lowering your roll center and using softer springs will stop traction rolling.

You should try a rear gear diff as well, really makes the rear of the car rotate.
Thanks bkspeedo!

Does lowering the front role center allow the car to 'roll into the turn' more? What would making the up-travel 4mm to 3mm do? Wouldn't lowering the rear shock mount from 4 to 2 stand up the shocks a bit therefore decrease side bite or rear traction in a turn? Rubber top deck is like 2 mm instead of 3 right. That make it less rigid right?

I have the gear diff available but just haven't messed with it yet.

Sorry for the further questions.

Thanks!

Ivan
Old 09-14-2011, 12:33 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Photon takes top two spots in 17.5 non-ramping at last weekend's 2011 XRAY Challenge held at SpeedWorld Raceway & Hobbies in Roseville, CA.

Also, EJ took 2nd in open mod behind Paul Lemieux.
Attached Thumbnails T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car-img_1256.jpeg   T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car-img_1259.jpeg  
Old 09-14-2011, 01:48 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by neltime64
Photon takes top two spots in 17.5 non-ramping at last weekend's 2011 XRAY Challenge held at SpeedWorld Raceway & Hobbies in Roseville, CA.

Also, EJ took 2nd in open mod behind Paul Lemieux.
Great job fellas..
Old 09-14-2011, 02:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Great job fellas..
Indeed. Well done guys!
Old 09-14-2011, 06:17 PM
Tech Master

Uuups

http://kkchung.pixnet.net/album/phot...4-dsc_9385.jpg
Old 09-14-2011, 06:46 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by BoneCrusher
Thanks Hanulec!

So disconnecting the front 1.4mm sway bar will soften the front right? Would it be better to go thinner before disconnecting?

Shock o-rings is that the 30 or 40 kind?

I appreciate your help!

Ivan
removing the cars will make which ever end softer. you can try removing them one at a time -- or just both at once.

40 degree. other shock building tips here: http://racerlog.com/wiki/T.O.P._Photon#Shocks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.