Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Project RC BMW ///M3

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 09:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Sounds like you need the USGT class! It must not be run locally, or im sure you would have brought it up. Maybe go to the track and try to get a following! Its on the same site as USVTA rules. They use 21.5 motors, spoked wheels, and any realistic GT, DP type racing body. Those beamers would be perfect! Look good btw
Old 05-31-2014, 04:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Evo 13
ViperZ,

The Grey 1/8 M1 is made by Delta Plastik, and the red 1/10 BMW is HPI.
I see those wheels in your most recent pic, are they for 1/10 and if so, what foams will you use? I'm asking because I've been searching for 1/10 tires but to me, there seems to be a tire shortage for 1/10 wheels.

P.S. I dig your polished detailed approach as a hobbyist.
Thanks Evo! Yes those wheels are 1/10. I was thinking of getting a few sets of Sweeps in rubber for them, or similar, depending on how they are used.. Ebay seems to have a good choice selection. Unless I'm missing what your looking for, as in Foam tires, which would require a different rim, no?

Originally Posted by mschumi101
Sounds like you need the USGT class! It must not be run locally, or im sure you would have brought it up. Maybe go to the track and try to get a following! Its on the same site as USVTA rules. They use 21.5 motors, spoked wheels, and any realistic GT, DP type racing body. Those beamers would be perfect! Look good btw
You are so right mschum! I would love a GT class as that what inspires me Our club runs CTA and TC classes. The occasional 1/12 pan car I'm told. I agree, That would be a lot of fun if enough interest could be generated.

I installed the aluminum motor mount and Reedy Modified. Running around in my shop floor its much quicker than the Kit Mabuchi I'm happy to press this vintage motor in to use again!

Took the plastic protector off the body, the Miami Viceness of it right now makes me laugh

And cut those body posts already

Last edited by ViperZ; 05-31-2014 at 04:59 AM.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

ViperZ,

Disregard my tire question. I forgot the electric 1/10 cars run 24mm not 26mm.

Anyway, your cars look nice. Be sure to upload a pic of that BMW gt2 when you get done.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:52 PM
Tech Addict

ViperZ,

Disregard my tire question. I forgot the electric 1/10 cars run 24mm not 26mm.

Anyway, your cars look nice. Be sure to upload a pic of that BMW gt2 when you get done.
I didn't know that, I suppose Nitros run foam tires? Will do in the E92 GT2, I'm really looking forward to that one.

I got the bulk of the E30 body work done over the weekend. Let me say the decaling of the kit was more challenging that I would have imagined. I mean I was fully up to the task, however armed with what I know now, I would love a do over on this one. I thought I should follow Tamiya's instructions, in that it indicates to apply the decals in the numeric order as called out, which starts with the window trim first. If I was to do it again, I would put on the big color stripes first, and then the window trim over it. That's the way I would have done it if I hadn't read the instructions

I was impressed with the engineering and design of this entire kit in how they make a quality reproducible model from manufacturing. Still it would have been nice if they gave a small extra section of M stripe decals to bridge the imperfections that can happen during application. It's not perfect, but shows pretty well. I can't see this being ran daily with out showing the wear of the decals peeling off due to all the sharp edges and complexity of the surfaces. Still nicely done Tamiya!

It's not yet complete yet, but it's nearly there....

Extensive decal sheet, 2 of them

Window trim complete, this was a task in itself to make everything align up

If I didn't love the livery of this kit so much I would have been happy to stop here

This is 3 separate decals here for the M Stripe

5 decals to here, 3 more on the back passenger side.

Nearly complete

Old 06-01-2014, 05:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Looks really cool! My first memory of a car was my grandpas 85 M3. So I've always been a bit partial to that body style.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

ViperZ,

Nitro racing cars run 26mm foams. The regular nitro cars run 26mm rubber, downside is that they balloon. But I wanted to try rubber tires with wheels (more stylish look) with fishing rod and shoe goo to prevent ballooning to give my m3 a stout look (3mm offset front 6mm offset rear), for example look at the wheels on the white M3 I uploaded on this thread.

Dude, your car look badass. The combo of chassis, body, and wheels look professionally done. And I know what you mean by wanting to do over the body. I've noticed that whenever I do a second version of the same body shell it always comes out much better. Its like you learn how to work with the layout of the bodyshell during the first go at it.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:02 PM
Tech Addict

ViperZ,

Nitro racing cars run 26mm foams. The regular nitro cars run 26mm rubber, downside is that they balloon. But I wanted to try rubber tires with wheels (more stylish look) with fishing rod and shoe goo to prevent ballooning to give my m3 a stout look (3mm offset front 6mm offset rear), for example look at the wheels on the white M3 I uploaded on this thread.
Right, ballooning is an issue. I tape all my 1/8 tires or buy belted whenever available. I have heard of the monofilament and shoe goo, I may try one day. I just use a few wraps of duct tape, and it works well.

I use a water bottle to flip the tires inside out on so I could get the tape down nice and tight with out deforming the tire too much

Duct tape for belting

Gluing the back side.

Then a balance

Lead tape

Heavy point marked

Tape in place, tire is balanced

Runs nice and smooth and should be good up to +80mph

Dude, your car look badass. The combo of chassis, body, and wheels look professionally done. And I know what you mean by wanting to do over the body. I've noticed that whenever I do a second version of the same body shell it always comes out much better. Its like you learn how to work with the layout of the bodyshell during the first go at it.
Thanks Evo! So true, second time around experience can be applied
Old 06-04-2014, 10:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the pics. your approach looks effective. Cool looking wheel balancer.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Thanks for the pics. your approach looks effective. Cool looking wheel balancer.
That is a Dubro prop balancer...I've been using that one for years.

Awesome for the $$$.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:25 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks, it is quite effective. I really like using the lead tape verus the clay for balance.

Originally Posted by Yosh70
That is a Dubro prop balancer...I've been using that one for years.

Awesome for the $$$.
Agreed! I had the prop balancer for my RC planes, and it serves well for the wheels. I actually think it's better than the wheel balancers as it is near frictionless.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:52 PM
Tech Addict

I think I can be done the E30 M3! I finished painting up the driver and interior this weekend. One down, two more to go. I added a carbon fiber upper tray brace, and I have some adjustable toe links coming, however that should complete it. This model is more for display and to putt around with.

Next up in this group of projects will be the E92 M3

The Sprint 2 chassis is RTR, so its really just a paint job

I do have a 1/8 on road kit I want to start right now
Old 06-09-2014, 07:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

The e30 BMW came out nice man, if that were mine, it would stay on the shelf.
Which 1/8 onroad kit do you have? Can't wait to see your sprint 2 BMW paint job just so you know, that e92 m3 not only looks good, but she handles great as well. I got mine on a serpent 747 with a 50k rpm+ Mm rbm3 Engine and she'll stay on a rail flat out.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:57 PM
Tech Addict

The e30 BMW came out nice man, if that were mine, it would stay on the shelf.
Which 1/8 onroad kit do you have? Can't wait to see your sprint 2 BMW paint job just so you know, that e92 m3 not only looks good, but she handles great as well. I got mine on a serpent 747 with a 50k rpm+ Mm rbm3 Engine and she'll stay on a rail flat out.

Thanks Evo! I think it will stay on the shelf for the most part. The Sprint 2 and the TC6.1 will be driven

Good to hear the E92 is a great handling body, its one of my favorite M's! I love the look of the body already and can't wait to get it painted an mounted. I'm just working on some details with it.

I bought an Ofna X3 GT. We don't have any racing for it here, but I just had to add one to my collection.

Here it is next to my Traxxass Rally that's been converted over to a GT8/Lite

I was just test fitting the 2650kv T8 motor and RX8 ESC

That Serpent 747 looks to be a wicked car! 1/10 Nitro?
Old 06-11-2014, 06:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

I'm confused, is the Ofna GT the orange car? Those Ofna GT cars can do some serious speeds. I purchased a Ofna gtv2e pro a few months back to break the 100mph barrier. Its my first electric car. I have to add electronics. Its on my hobby "to do" list but remains in the original packaging box. I'll probably get around to it in the fall some time.

Yes, the 747 is a 1/10 nitro. The car is nimble and very fast (by now you can tell Im a speed demon). I had the black Porsche 911 body on it, like in my pics. But it wasn't very drivable without the wing. I didn't like the look of the oversized spoiler and so the car would never go straight. The rear always stepped out under throttle. But the BMW shell is shorter, more stout, and nimbler looking, and I can run it without the spoiler without sacrificing downforce—its the perfect fit for the chassis, and thus she works well and I like it a lot.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:20 PM
Tech Addict

No, the orange body (Sweep PL1) is my Traxxas Rally that's been converted over to an on road GT8/Lite car. It's 325mm wheel base. The Ofna X3 GT is the one under the clear Cosmo body and the chassis with the Tekin RX8 ESC.

The Rally/GT8 is powered with a Castle Creations Mamba Monster 2 ESC/2650kv 1512 1/8 system. Its pretty darn fast and can wear down a set of belted tires PDQ if I'm constantly hard on the throttle

Here is a look at the Rally/GT8

L-R Rally/GT8, TRX Rally, TRX Ultimate Slash 4x4

Here is my XO-1 beside the Rally/GT8 with a different body

I have many projects like your Ggtv2e, still in boxes That's a nice kit too!

That 747 with M3 is wicked looking!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.