Wiki Posts
Search

Project RC BMW ///M3

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 12:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Project RC BMW ///M3

Hi all, I'm a big fan of the BMW M3 sedan, and have loved every model since it's introduction with the E30 M3. I would absolutely love a 1:1 in the classic red.

The kit that got me back into RC cars was a Tamiya TT-01 Schnitzer M3. I seen this for sale and had to have it just to have. Typically I have always love Tamiya products and have collected their model kits since for ever. I use to be an old school 1/12 and 1/10 pan chassis racer with the Saskatoon Prairie Dusters back in the late 80's. I even owned a few 1/8 Nitro cars, but there was not much interest in racing these. I sold all my stuff and moved into RC airplanes.

The TT-01 has brought me back and I have been spending a lot of my RC time building, modifying and bashing the Traxxas line of Slash 4x4 Ultimate, Rally's and XO-1. I have converted one of the Rally's over to a GT8 Lite, which seems to be pretty fun.

So, this TT-01 M3 has been sitting on my self for more than a year, and I finally get this crazy idea to build it, and while at it build chassis' for the other 2 M3 bodies I have in my collection. That being:
  • Tamiya TT-01 E30 M3
  • HPI E46 M3 GT (190mm) 7352
  • HPI E92 M3 GT2 (200mm) 17548

With that, the only hole to fill will be the E36 M3, however I'm not aware of an available body for that.

The E30 will be built on the TT-01 kit, which I plan to keep close to the originally intended kit. I have added the Hop-Up bearings, oil filled dampers, Aluminum drive shaft and aluminum motor mount. I have a few old Brushed Reedy Modified motors I may use or a few brushless ones as well. For now I will build it close to kit and go from there.

The E46 I have purchased a NIB Associated TC6.1 World's Car which I will construct the car around. No idea where this will lead, but it already has me thinking I should get back into racing. Not so much this kit, as I want these to be more shelf queens for my collection. However maybe a TC6.2 to race.... I am intrigued very much with the VTA class of cars.

The E92 will be built around an existing HPI Sprint 2 Flux I have bashed around. It has a Castle Creations Sidewinder 3 ESC, 5700kv motor. It's insanely fast with a 3s, clocked at 76mph which seems too fast for a 1/10 car in a parking lot, it really moves! Not much to do there so unless another chassis comes up for this model when I get to it, that's the plan for now. I'm not crazy about the livery of this particular example and may just paint one in the all Orange GTR European version.

The E30 Tamiya kit is the first in the lineup to be built. Here are some photos from the project thus far:

These Tamiya Kits are addicting, I love them!

I could have got a better shock kit, but I knew nothing at the time, these seem good enough

Fitted with an LRP 5T motor just to see

Just to get a feel for the look, I love it!

The 3 unpainted M3's

The two Chassis together Tamiya TT-01 (top), HPI Sprint 2 Flux (bottom)

Associated TC6.1 WC Team, on the way in the mail

That's it for now, please stay tuned and feel free to comment or offer suggestions to the projects.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Nice body/chassis combinations
I did a E30 M3/TC6.1WC combination. It will be around 5tenth slower than with the normal Mazda bodies. The biggest problem is the lack of rear grip, so think of that before driving the beauties
Old 05-18-2014, 12:53 PM
Tech Addict

nice little project you have,which one will you use in vta? does it qualify for that class?
Old 05-18-2014, 12:55 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by wtcc
Nice body/chassis combinations
I did a E30 M3/TC6.1WC combination. It will be around 5tenth slower than with the normal Mazda bodies. The biggest problem is the lack of rear grip, so think of that before driving the beauties
Thanks! Yeah, I was looking hard at the HPI E30 M3, its one wicked looking body! I should get one of those just because I'm greedy And so I can paint it a solid red like my dream car.

Oh Great, maybe add another chassis to the project...?

Good to know the body does not handle as well as a Mazda, however that is to be expected given it's boxy shape. I don't plan to race or bash these 3 models too hard, as they are more for the shelf, however I have been considering another TC chassis just to get back into racing at the club track with
Old 05-18-2014, 01:11 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by chasingthepack
nice little project you have,which one will you use in vta? does it qualify for that class?
Thanks! I'm not sure, but neither of these 3 I think.... I'm just toying with the idea to get back into racing. If I was, I would obtain another chassis just to go racing with, be it VTA, or stock. I like the VTA as the bodies I can identify with. I'm not big on the new TC standard of generic looking Mazda coupe. However that's what our club here runs primarily, with the exception of the VTA class.

I would be so in if they started a Le Mans class as those are cars I really love, or even a GT class where you need to run Porsche 911's, M3's, Mercedes Sedans, Corvettes...etc, that resembled real GT race cars. Call me crazy, but that's what I love about RC, Scale realism that allows me to dream I'm the pilot

I'm not sure the E30 would be allowed in VTA I though it needed to be the old 60's 70 American muscle cars... I suppose it depends on the club, as I'm sure the rules could be pretty loose just to get involvement.

I like that idea!
Old 05-19-2014, 10:22 PM
Tech Addict

Not a lot of progress today, but I have the TT01 to a point of test running. The problem is however out of the more than 30 battery packs I own, they are all Lipos, nary a NimH to be found

I texted my friend that has a few packs and he'll bring them over for me to use with this car. Not sure what to expect with the Kit Mabuchi RS540, but I do have a couple of vintage Brushed Modified motors I would love to use in this car.

Check out these beauties, circa 1986

I can't remember what the specs are on this Reedy

17 Turn Team Checkpoint

Chassis ready to test, but no Nimh batteries to be found. I like the look of the 3mm offset HPI chrome mesh wheels

Needs paint next, and yes I'll cut the posts. It drives me crazy when I see long assed posts

A test fit of the E90 M3 to the Sprint2
Old 05-20-2014, 10:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Where did you get the e30 wheels?
Old 05-20-2014, 10:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hi Bing, you should come out to the club and run what ever you have. Pretty sure we could come up with some batteries for that unit too. We are there Weds evenings and racing Sunday evenings.

Haven't seen too many Duster people but we are getting a few of the older racers back.

Last edited by Johnny Wishbone; 05-20-2014 at 02:04 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:00 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by illmatic94
Where did you get the e30 wheels?
I got them on ebay.

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
Hi Bing, you should come out to the club and run what ever you have. Pretty sure we could come up with some batteries for that unit too. We are there Weds evenings and racing Sunday evenings.

Haven't seen too many Duster people but we are getting a few of the older racers back.
Hey Gary! I will have to do that. the more I think of it, the more I should get the TC6.1 set up for stock TC class.

I may come out tomorrow just to hang out, and see what I need., Thanks!
Old 05-23-2014, 04:35 PM
Tech Addict

Received a few more parts for this project today. All I can say is what was I thinking? All of a sudden I feel I have way too many irons in the fire! It's all good, but it may go slower than I had hoped

New Wheels for one of the cars

The TC6.1 New In Box (sealed)

Whoa!! That's a lot of parts in bags What ever happened to the Pan chassis simplicity?

There goes my summer...

I just bought a new 1/8 on road too, good thing that it's a 80% kit
Old 05-29-2014, 06:08 PM
Tech Addict

So as project go, it seems plans can change... The TC6.1 I was going to use as a parking lot basher will most likely be used for me to get back into RC racing. With a little bit of coaxing I will be building it as a Stock Class club racer. I've started to collect parts for this club racer build, and will look for a used TC4 or other for the E46 M3.

I'm still working on the E30 M3, and have it up and running. I'm waiting for my Aluminum motor mount before I mount up the Reedy Modified motor. I ended up using a Spare Traxxas TQi Tx and Rx for this kit. I tried to fit the Velineon 3500kv motor and ESC to the kit, but the motors end assembly is slightly too big in diameter to fit straight. I would need to grind down the end bell or the chassis, so I said scrap it. I really don't want this model for performance running or racing, just to tool around with.

The 3500kv in the TT01, not quite right

With stock ESC and motor, body is trimmed, masked and ready for paint

Picked up some Blue dot tires for the stock class racer, as well as a Mazda 6 MX body and traction compound. I also bought a Tekin RS Gen 2 ESC from a forum member, with a Hot Wire Programing card, which will be nice to have for my RX8 1/8 Ofna X3 build

In summary, the E30 is nearing paint, I'll paint the E92, then find something for the E46. In the meantime the TC6.1 will be come a club racer
Old 05-30-2014, 04:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

ViperZ

Hey man, you sound like me with your BMW passion. Here's some inspiration for ideas. I did these on a Serpent 747 and 977

I have more on my Profile page.

Last edited by Evo 13; 05-30-2014 at 04:50 AM.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:00 AM
Tech Regular

Hi, Here are some photos of my E-92 M3 GT, Regards
Norman2
Attached Thumbnails Project RC BMW ///M3-bmw-m3-.jpg   Project RC BMW ///M3-bmw-m3-b.jpg  

Last edited by Norman2; 05-30-2014 at 06:15 AM.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:33 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Evo 13
ViperZ

Hey man, you sound like me with your BMW passion. Here's some inspiration for ideas. I did these on a Serpent 747 and 977

I have more on my Profile page.
Very Cool Evo! I can't remember last I seen a M1 RC Body, maybe back in late 1970 in a 1/12 Parma body that I owned.

Who makes the 1/8 E92 M3? I like it! I also like the Porsches you have!

Originally Posted by Norman2
Hi, Here are some photos of my E-92 M3 GT, Regards
Norman2
That is super nice Norman! Thanks for Posting!

Got some parts today for these projects. Some 3mm and 6mm offset wheels, tire foams for the Tamiya kit wheels and the aluminum motor mount. Now I'll install the Reedy Modified

I just finished painting on my undercoat of silver paint. I like the Miami Vice look to the Bimmer (for those of you that know what I'm talking about)

Old 05-30-2014, 07:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

ViperZ,

The Grey 1/8 M1 is made by Delta Plastik, and the red 1/10 BMW is HPI.
I see those wheels in your most recent pic, are they for 1/10 and if so, what foams will you use? I'm asking because I've been searching for 1/10 tires but to me, there seems to be a tire shortage for 1/10 wheels.

P.S. I dig your polished detailed approach as a hobbyist.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.