Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Prototype ESC's  - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions? >

Prototype ESC's - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Prototype ESC's - ROAR, Legal, Fair, Sportsmanship, Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 12:33 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by abailey21
I could care less what ESC's any of you guys were running, I want some CRC/Speed Merchant driving lessons!

Dumper, Dumas, Smyka all of the fast guys were running great with exceptional lines and I need the help!
Quit whining Adam. You got a bigger trophy for finishing your race than I got for winning mine. This discussion involves the racers with a whole lot more talents than us.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Originally Posted by John_S
does advanced electronics have a website?
I found one but its not written in english so I need a translator
Old 09-15-2009, 12:50 PM
Tech Master

There's another esc, Orca Vritra TC Spec for stock touring cars. I'm running Tekin RS Pro V200 and haven't found a setup that would beat this. So much low end grunt, smooth mid range drive and tremendous speed. And the transition is seamless... seems to just keep going no matter how long the straights are. I believe only a handful of drivers are running this in the states.

This is a pic of an Rctech members car. He finished 3rd in the recent roar region 3 race at Rosewood R/C Raceway....

Old 09-15-2009, 01:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I was at the IIC and on their own they looked fast, but when running with equal traffic they had no distinct advantage, or at least via voltage, from the mid part of the sweeper to the hard braking hairpin is where most of the time was made up (and I believe that was done via the boost setting). The track itself was decieveing to drive and as much as .4 of a second could easily be left on the track if a tight line was not run.

As far as the speedo wiring goes, this isn't something new. I have run that configuration on brushless and brushed speed controls, with 4 cell nimh as well. All it does is keep the servo speed up and better constant signal strength to the speedo(You don't get a twitch or pull to the side on hard acceleration). I have run this with a rxr pack and even with a AAA cell. I got this setup over 2 years ago, and that was from Flying Nemisis, and I'm sure he was using it for quite some time. The only thing it really helps is that it makes your steering react at a normal speed.

From what I saw and looked at, if I had a choice, this is the setup I would use over a booster, (sorry Barry), you just can't substitute voltage, or make voltage out of a lower voltgage, or at least not in the cofiguration and weight we are looking for.

The other item on their cars is only a 2200 mfd capacitor. They had all their cars sitting on a table and you could pretty much pick them up and look at them all you wanted, I did.

The milled heat sink is like the LRP low profile one, I'm sure someone () could actually determine how much of a heat sink is required over a 8 minute run to be effecient and yet not over weight.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:33 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Black Diamond ESC

I have been in touch earlier today with Advanced Electronics and they say it is okay that i show som pictures of my own speedo, and give some info on it. This summer I had the opportunity to run my buggy with one of the early prototype, and all I can say that this speedo kick ass. It have fantastic throttle respons and give great control of the car. The size of the speed is aprox 33mm x 40mm and I think it is one of the smallest High-end speedos today.
I have seen many people posting lots of stange mumbo-jumbo theorys according this speedo. Let give som facts!
It is no hidden secrets inside the speedo, just pure state of the art design and lots of tesing and burn-out versions before this one were released. They have done the homework how a speedo should bee designed. Åke (one of the owner of Advanced) is very experienced of designing ESC:s. He have made speedos for over 20 years now. (Will post som picures tomorow of the speedo)
Lindenhill
Old 09-15-2009, 02:56 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Whew!!! The end finally. I will get docked 30 minutes of pay for reading this past my break. I just couldn't put it down. Nice one Kn.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:09 PM
Tech Elite

i would also like it to be known that frank offered to pull brian from the 17.5 class at the big secret meeting (to which some very impoortant people were not invited) friday night. the promoters of the race wanted hiim to run a "normal" speedo, but the choice was up to us. we said we would do that if brian could have some open track time and practice to get the gearing down right for the main.

they offered us a total track time of 8 minutes, to be used as we wished. needless to say, one 8 minute run was not sufficent enough for brian to feel comfortable with gearing going into the main on saturday. these are guys that race on a 30 by 60 track at home, and this being their first race with the single cell lipo, the decision was made to run it as it was.

this post is not to slam anyone, scotty and crew put on an excelent race and the tech team did all that was within their power to find out if everything was on the up and up. they deemed that it was. i was running one in world gt, and my car was 2 to 4 tenths a lap quicker with it. no one even made a fuss about me. was it because my driving took me out of a winng car or was it that his driving plus a top fuel speedo made a winning car even better?

i am going to continue to watch this thread, but i feel like i have said all i need to say.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:23 PM
Tech Master

http://www.teamcrc.com/crc/modules.p...rticle&sid=102
Old 09-15-2009, 04:33 PM
Tech Champion

Nuff said
Old 09-15-2009, 05:36 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I'm disappointed in Frank. You didn't pick up the trophy girl???
Old 09-15-2009, 05:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Nuff said
You think.... This is far from signed, sealed, and delivered...

Since we are driving computer technology deeper into the equation as each month passes, I propose that ROAR adopt a new rule, a rule used in several different types of racing around the world. The rule that ROAR should adopt is a homologation rule. This would easily prevent this type of "advantage" (no pun intended) in the future in all classes except modified.

Homologation can be easily enforced by requiring that any components used in Amateur, Stock, or Super Stock classes be publicly available in quantity to anyone for a 90-day period prior to a race date. Homologation will allow EVERYONE in attendance for the race to be on an equal field. If the race director determines that any components used in these classes were not readily available to the public prior to the race date, the parts, components, or electronics will be disqualified for the race. If you want to use special, one-off, limited availability, components, do it in modified first, as these are the premier classes for the top drivers anyhow. The homologation rule should apply to the car, electronics, bodies, batteries, and tires.

Anyone - Why would we want manufacturers and their drivers to come and dominate Stock and Superstock? Isn't modified racing where the glory is? Wouldn't it be nice to see an independent come out of the shadows and win a event.

The way I see it, CRC purposely withheld technology that provided them a distinct advantage. CRC admitted they have been racing with and improving the speedo since 2008. They could have easily prototyped the speedo and proven it on the local tracks, then released it to the public before coming to the big races. Instead, they withheld their ESC so they could attempt claim more victory's. I clearly understand that this is not the first time anything like this has happened by any number of manufacturers, but maybe it is time to try and stop it.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cyanyde
There's another esc, Orca Vritra TC Spec for stock touring cars. I'm running Tekin RS Pro V200 and haven't found a setup that would beat this. So much low end grunt, smooth mid range drive and tremendous speed. And the transition is seamless... seems to just keep going no matter how long the straights are. I believe only a handful of drivers are running this in the states.

This is a pic of an Rctech members car. He finished 3rd in the recent roar region 3 race at Rosewood R/C Raceway....

Hey, that's my car! Haha. I also set fastest lap during the main as well. But Jesse ran a good race and deserved the win. The Orca is a huge esc. But I love the hell out of it. SPX and Tekin has no advantage over it except size and weight. This esc also supplies more voltage to the receiver. So you get a true 6v supply. They will be coming out with a low-profile heat sink. So I will be running this in 12th scale as well. Can't wait. Hopefully I'll be running it in the new Gen-XL.

Getting back to the discussion. I really don't care if someone runs an experimental esc. It's real world testing that may make or break the design and let them work out any bugs. It's the same as prototype car parts, etc, etc. Also don't forget, I'm sure there are other prototypes running around hidden in old cases. No need to tech for it. Just be sure to tech for voltage. I think someone posted on our Rosewood forum some TOUR rules for pan car oval. I think they have a way they check for receiver pack/cheating, etc etc. Take a look at those rules. Maybe apply them to Roar.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

A quote from CRC's website:

With Hupo's 4th place finish, he won the "non-Advanced" speed control division.
Classic
Old 09-15-2009, 06:30 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by kn7671
You think.... This is far from signed, sealed, and delivered...

Since we are driving computer technology deeper into the equation as each month passes, I propose that ROAR adopt a new rule, a rule used in several different types of racing around the world. The rule that ROAR should adopt is a homologation rule. This would easily prevent this type of "advantage" (no pun intended) in the future in all classes except modified.

Homologation can be easily enforced by requiring that any components used in Amateur, Stock, or Super Stock classes be publicly available in quantity to anyone for a 90-day period prior to a race date. Homologation will allow EVERYONE in attendance for the race to be on an equal field. If the race director determines that any components used in these classes were not readily available to the public prior to the race date, the parts, components, or electronics will be disqualified for the race. If you want to use special, one-off, limited availability, components, do it in modified first, as these are the premier classes for the top drivers anyhow. The homologation rule should apply to the car, electronics, bodies, batteries, and tires.

Anyone - Why would we want manufacturers and their drivers to come and dominate Stock and Superstock? Isn't modified racing where the glory is? Wouldn't it be nice to see an independent come out of the shadows and win a event.

The way I see it, CRC purposely withheld technology that provided them a distinct advantage. CRC admitted they have been racing with and improving the speedo since 2008. They could have easily prototyped the speedo and proven it on the local tracks, then released it to the public before coming to the big races. Instead, they withheld their ESC so they could attempt claim more victory's. I clearly understand that this is not the first time anything like this has happened by any number of manufacturers, but maybe it is time to try and stop it.
Are you kidding me? Did you actually read the article? I ran their brushed unit in 2008. No where does it say that WE (CRC) have been working on a brushless unit since then. We do not own Advanced Electronics. We build race cars not speed controllers. We got them 48 hours before I left for the race. I do apologize for not calling you and letting you know, but I did not have your phone number. I am not sure who we were supposed to notify and what exactly we were supposed to tell them, so I am not sure who we withheld information from. We got some prototypes, we tested them, and now we are getting ready to sell them. As far as I knew, that is how it works. I am sorry if the timing of the whole thing did not fit your schedule.

And what other companies learn will get to their customers as well. Does Tekin, LRP, Novak and KO have your number so they can let you know they found something. I would hate for them to feel your wrath as well.

We would have put it Hupo's cars as well, but he is a factory LRP driver and is under contract to use their products. He did not need the speedo to win mod, he did just fine without it :-)

The truth is now out there. Like it or hate it, it is just that, the truth.

Brian Wynn
Team CRC
Old 09-15-2009, 06:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

It does seem like in a spec/stock class the equipment should be publicly available. It is a "stock" race not a "prototype testing" session. Prototype testing should be reserved for practice sessions and mod racing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.