Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tamiya TRF415

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2004, 09:10 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by KilRuf
Thanks Razzo, I'll have to try those out as well. I don't really care if I went through a set of tires each race day. $30bucks a weekend is no biggy for me. I'm just trying to get ready for the Snowbirds. So the fastest combo for 19t is what I'm looking for. I'll have to match my lap times with Parma Cyan/Magenta combo vs Jaco DoublePink/DPink-Orange... and see what I get. I could probably do that on NewYears.
Just remember, that compared to the Jaco, the inside diameter of the Parma wheel is really small...somewhere around 2mm smaller!! This will not (or at least shouldn't work) on a 415 with a stock suspension. I believe you would have to use the shorter kingpin that some guys are using to get the Parma's to work. For me this is not an option, as I do not want the roll center effects that using the shorter kingpin would have.
For the record, if anyone was wondering, I measured the inside diameter of several different manufactures of foam tires. The order from largest inside diameter to smallest of those i measured are:
-Jaco
-TRC (yellow dish wheel)
-TRC (new black spoked wheel)
-Parma

I was suprised to see that the new TRC wheel is not the same diameter as the old one.

I have been using Jaco for several years. I have never had any issues what so ever with them, I just wanted to try something new. But considering Jaco had the largest inside diameter I decidied to stick with them!
Old 12-25-2004, 11:44 PM
Tech Regular

okay... just took my digital caliper out and had to measure the rims. Having tried all 3 brands (TRC/Jaco/Parma) I don't get 'Parma is really small' thing... here's my readings, Parma/47.4mm, Jaco/47.8mm, TRC/45.8mm. These are ALL 28mm wide tires. Using inside ribs as center measuring point. Magenta for TRC/Parma, and Double Pink for Jaco. So there is 2mm difference between TRC and Jaco, but only about .5mm between Parma and Jaco. Also, for roll center, if you remove the 2mm shim from camber link mount on the graphite plate, it should lower it enough to not make much change with Evo4 king pins, compared to running 4mm (box setup) with original king pins. If you're leery of trying the Evo4 pins, Parma fits fiine with original king pin, with top of ball cup shaved.

Also, see attached picuture. Parma and Jaco have different off-sets too. With Parma, I can use 1mm wheel shim (red) with out having it rub the sway bars. With Jaco, I have to use 1.5mm shims (red+blue) to get it from rubbing the rear sway mount. These are 'latest' rims from both companies... 6 rib for Parma, and 8 rib 'new' Jaco rims.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF415-inside.jpg  
Old 12-25-2004, 11:46 PM
Tech Regular

another pic..

Parma on left, Jaco on right.
Noticist I didn't have to CA the edges on Parma so they won't seperate . This picture really shows the offset difference.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF415-outside.jpg  
Old 12-26-2004, 01:34 AM
Tech Adept

Default koabich

The rollcenter settings on the car are based around 2.5" rubber tires. You can duplicate the rollcenter by adjusting the spacers on the inside of the camber link. You can also do it with adjusting the height of the hinge pin blocks.

I'm running the lowered king pin and its working just fine. In fact, just unscrew the stock one and screw the other one in. It will go about 1/8th of a turn from full tightening down. I was concerned that if I couldn't lock it down, that it would loosen from racing. I've had it in there for probably 5 weeks now with 2-3 nights of racing per week and they haven't budged at all.

tires - I think the Jaco's work just great. I start mine at about 59mm out of the box. The tires seem to be fastest between about 55.5mm and 58mm. If I start at 59mm for one race night, at the end of the night, I'll reshape them at about 57.5 to 58mm. So that's a solid 16 to 20 runs on dbl pinks. I just run the kit silver spacer on the wheel hex and I don't have any rubbing problems. The rear swaybar isn't an issue as most drivers would not choose to use a swaybar on a car running on foamies. With both cyan/mag. and dbl pink compounds (which are basically the same thing), there's a little more chance for the foam peeling because the foam is softer. It rolls over more on the track and pulls harder on the sidewall glue seem. A nice thick ring of CA will help with that, chunking, and most importantly, will make your car handle a bit more consistantly with the stiffer sidewall on the tires. I haven't purchased any Parmas but my initial take on them was a rim that was a bit flexier than the others.
Old 12-26-2004, 01:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have been using Parmas. I'm just switching to Jaco's so I can use Double Pink Combo. But Razzo was suggesting the Cyan and Magenta. So I'm gonna try that as well. Rubbing is no big deal for me. It's not like it can't be fixed or anything. My main concern with the foams was the compounds.

I also super glue the sidewalls as well.

If I were to say which was the best overall foams... I'd have to say BSR foam tires. But I have trouble getting them. So I have to resort to other brands.

Also, I got the same measurements as Razzo did. Jaco's are just a hair bigger. Just enough to barely run on the ball cups. Parmas just need a hair trimming down.

Either way... I'll be running whichever gives me the fastest lap times next weekend.
Old 12-26-2004, 02:34 AM
Tech Regular

Dave, you want to buy my Jaco sets out? I just re-loaded with Parma Cyan/Magentas. Last time we ran, I was on Parma Cyan/Magenta, not the usual Parma Plaid/Purple I've been using. Even with the softer foams, if it's glued well, it shouldn't peel! I was ready to go all Jacos, but after peeling ALL my sets, I'm done.
Old 12-26-2004, 09:22 AM
Tech Addict

would the 'mod' setups that we see on the forum work with stock motors?

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-26-2004, 11:12 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally posted by racer
would the 'mod' setups that we see on the forum work with stock motors?

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
As far as asphault setups go, they should be ok, but carpet will propably be far off. Usually mod setups will have a lot of steering because the motors dont have the drag brake like stock motors do, and they obviously go a little faster
Old 12-26-2004, 11:14 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally posted by razzo
Dave, you want to buy my Jaco sets out? I just re-loaded with Parma Cyan/Magentas. Last time we ran, I was on Parma Cyan/Magenta, not the usual Parma Plaid/Purple I've been using. Even with the softer foams, if it's glued well, it shouldn't peel! I was ready to go all Jacos, but after peeling ALL my sets, I'm done.
Do you have any new Dbl Pink, Dbl Pink/Orange sets from Jaco, I'd be interested.
Old 12-26-2004, 11:24 AM
Tech Adept

Just painted this....

Old 12-26-2004, 11:27 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

What color blue is that?
Old 12-26-2004, 11:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

thats a nice blue car you got there!!!
Old 12-26-2004, 12:14 PM
Tech Adept

I have been looking for a "tamiya" blue forever.

I went to a Hobby shop I dont normally go to...

I was like..."heeey, this looks kinda coooool..."

Its faspearl blue...it sure is pretty. Never have used it before. I always use testors paint. It was a PITA to paint. Its much different than anything else I have used. I'll get the hang of it though.
Old 12-26-2004, 12:17 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I like the color, thanks.
Old 12-26-2004, 12:17 PM
Tech Master

nice body there jack

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.