Search

BMI's DB12R

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 01:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Hey WIITA,

Do you mean a 8-32 screw? if so, It wont fit you'll need these:

IRS4017 Front Suspension Spacers - (0.015" thick)
IRS4016 Front Suspension Spacers - (0.030" thick)

You can get them from here:

http://www.teamirsrc.com/index.html

Hope this helps
Mike

Originally Posted by WIITA
Will the 3-32 screw fit through the hole on the shim since they are designed for a 4-40 screw?
Old 09-07-2009, 01:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Originally Posted by SwampDog32
Chris...Do you know if Jason went to Vegas?

+1 for good luck to all BMI drivers.
I dont think so, but I've been wrong before .
Old 09-07-2009, 02:26 PM

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WIITA
Will the 3-32 screw fit through the hole on the shim since they are designed for a 4-40 screw?
Hyperdrive has some shims for this front end specificly.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:26 PM
Tech Master

All-
The Associated R5 front end DOES NOT bolt up onthe BMI chassis. Associated spaced the mounting holes approx +/- 3mm further apart than they're old front end that everyone uses (American companies --speed merchant and crc).

Associated changed alot of things besides just makeing the car in Metric.
E
Old 09-07-2009, 09:32 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by EricF
All-
The Associated R5 front end DOES NOT bolt up onthe BMI chassis. Associated spaced the mounting holes approx +/- 3mm further apart than they're old front end that everyone uses (American companies --speed merchant and crc).

Associated changed alot of things besides just makeing the car in Metric.
E
Hey Eric, if you look back afew posts you'll see that hyperdrive has made a part that replaces part of the r5 so that it can indeed bolt to any car that is using the old AE dynamic frontend

Have you been getting in some track time at CH?
Old 09-07-2009, 09:52 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by chris moore
Hey Eric, if you look back afew posts you'll see that hyperdrive has made a part that replaces part of the r5 so that it can indeed bolt to any car that is using the old AE dynamic frontend

Have you been getting in some track time at CH?
I called lefthander to ask about that part a few weeks ago. I didn't get an answer that would have lead me to beleive that was the case. The guy I spoke with made it sound like the holes are now 8/32 but are still in the same location Maybe I miss understood

Yeah, I was there Friday. only managed 39 laps in the main. I hoping to get out there every week as that seems to be the only way I can keep my speed and consistancy up.
E

I gusss that I should maybe stick to the what the ad says "These mounts will allow you to bolt the R5 frontend onto any pan car chassis that is drilled for the older style Assosociated dynamic front end." Instead of calling the shop.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:03 PM
Tech Elite

Cool, I'm hoping to get down there again real soon . I've not seen or used that new part yet so I'm only going by what the ad says, I'll try and ask Humpty the next time I see him.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by EricF
I called lefthander to ask about that part a few weeks ago. I didn't get an answer that would have lead me to beleive that was the case. The guy I spoke with made it sound like the holes are now 8/32 but are still in the same location Maybe I miss understood

Yeah, I was there Friday. only managed 39 laps in the main. I hoping to get out there every week as that seems to be the only way I can keep my speed and consistancy up.
E

I gusss that I should maybe stick to the what the ad says "These mounts will allow you to bolt the R5 frontend onto any pan car chassis that is drilled for the older style Assosociated dynamic front end." Instead of calling the shop.
It would seem counter to the wording on ther Lefthander website. They say there it will mount up to any old style ASC dynamic front end chassis.

either way I have the parts coming and will find out myself in a few days.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

The Hyperdrive block does bolt up to the normal front end hole spacing we have always known. The rest of the front end uses the NEW AE style front end parts.

Another option and what I have been running on my WGT car is the Black Mamba front end...
http://www.two2cool.com/product_p/bm1000.htm
Here is a you tube video of how it works....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylJUcJE562E&NR=1
Old 09-08-2009, 08:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jamie Hanson
The Hyperdrive block does bolt up to the normal front end hole spacing we have always known. The rest of the front end uses the NEW AE style front end parts.

Another option and what I have been running on my WGT car is the Black Mamba front end...
http://www.two2cool.com/product_p/bm1000.htm
Here is a you tube video of how it works....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylJUcJE562E&NR=1
I've have to check on this front end.. So Jamie, anything new going on?
Old 09-08-2009, 08:18 AM
Tech Master

Clegg, Jamie-
Good to know. Like I said, the person I spoke w/ lead me to think otherwise. The ad says it will so I'll go with that and agree with you that it does mount up.

Jamie,
Will the black mamba king pins fit in a 1/12 wheel? I like the preload (adjusment nut) idea.
Thanks,
E
Old 09-08-2009, 08:21 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Nova F1 Racer
I've have to check on this front end.. So Jamie, anything new going on?
long time. No see Rick. How's. Things?
Old 09-08-2009, 10:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
long time. No see Rick. How's. Things?
Don't know, I have to check with my wife and she'll tell me....

Are you going to the birds this year?

I am but I had to take the lovely wifey-poo Donna to Paris, France...

Paris is near the bottom of the places I would want to go too... They hate us ya know... Then again most of the world does....
Old 09-08-2009, 08:17 PM
Tech Champion

I'm at IIC right now using up the last of my full bonus payout. After that one they got temporarily reduced so not likley to make the birds this year. Hopefully in the near future I will be able to.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:09 AM

So I got the R5 front end in and built. There are some issues with this front end on the BMI using the Hyperdrive components:

1. You need to cut down your 8-32 screws to 8mm or so. (less if you shave down the arms like I am going to get done below)

2. The metal mounts on the R5 front end arent counter sunk at all so wihtout any shims the front end wont mount solid to the chassis since there is a small section of the cone/head of the mounting bolt that sticks up through the chassis. You need to use at a .25mm shim to get them to mount solid.

3. The front part of the mount gets very close to the body post mounts, there is very little space for the bumper to fit in there, some carving up of the back side of the bumper is needed.

4. remember to buy 3mm locking nuts for the axels, I forgot.

5. Ride height... Argh. I dont know if this is a Hyperdrive specific issue, or what, but these alloy mounts are tall... with 1.68" fronts, I can barely get 3.5mm of front ride height. So... with that said - this front end is pretty unusable until I take these Hyperdrive mounts to a machine shop and get 1 - 1.5mm shaved off the bottom so I can maintain ride height as the tires wear.

Overall the front end feels much more solid, true, and bomb proof. This comes at a 10gm weight penalty though (stock). I figure replacing some of the hardware with Alloy/Ti screws could deffinitely help this. (ball studs, and all the long 10mm screws in the assy are all steel) And get this down to only a couple gram weight penalty for a nice and easy to adjust front end.
Attached Thumbnails BMI's DB12R-p9120020.jpg   BMI's DB12R-p9120021.jpg   BMI's DB12R-p9120023.jpg   BMI's DB12R-p9120025.jpg   BMI's DB12R-p9120027.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.