Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MEGA (by Picco) thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 03:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Edgar Millenium
it comes with .30 on shims, I had the same problem, I raise it up to .45 and had no problem at all.
Actually where i go a little bit lean, it's kind on the edge this setup. 0.50 is good for me

Paolo
Old 06-05-2006, 03:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Killa G
Thanks DJ!!!!
Killa,

beside DJ advise, i will add that you need to do several laps before tuning the engine on the track. The ZX12 have this particular thing with the tuning. If the very first laps the engine feel ok, it will be for sure lean a few laps later. The engine need some time to reach the operational temp. My advise, start a little bit rich on the top end, heat up the engine properly in the track (around 6 to 7 laps and then depending on the situation, lean it or rich it. Temp wise i cannot give it to you cause i don't meausre on sedan. The rule is: as long as the engine is fast, smoking and consistant performance, it does not matter the temp.

Paolo
Old 06-05-2006, 03:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Edgar Millenium
it comes with .30 on shims, I had the same problem, I raise it up to .45 and had no problem at all.
Done! went up to .5mm didn't have the shims for .45mm. Performance seems better specifically bottom and mid-range but I'll see how it works on the track weekend. Thanks again
Old 06-05-2006, 04:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Paolo M
Killa,

beside DJ advise, i will add that you need to do several laps before tuning the engine on the track. The ZX12 have this particular thing with the tuning. If the very first laps the engine feel ok, it will be for sure lean a few laps later. The engine need some time to reach the operational temp. My advise, start a little bit rich on the top end, heat up the engine properly in the track (around 6 to 7 laps and then depending on the situation, lean it or rich it. Temp wise i cannot give it to you cause i don't meausre on sedan. The rule is: as long as the engine is fast, smoking and consistant performance, it does not matter the temp.

Paolo
So the clutch should be ok then right? If it was the clutch then the problem would happen right from the start and not when the engine heats up?

Thanks
Gael
Old 06-05-2006, 04:56 PM
Tech Master

gael
after all the help from paolo and dj you still need help i will be at the next test and tune and i will help you out . so you can keep running those nice lines
Old 06-05-2006, 04:58 PM
Tech Master

oh
did not forget about the pics
Old 06-06-2006, 03:36 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by captian
gael
after all the help from paolo and dj you still need help i will be at the next test and tune and i will help you out . so you can keep running those nice lines
Thanks Cap

My car felt pretty good on the track I just need to get the engine dialed and I think I will be good.I lost a lot of time on each lap due to the engine bogging the way it was.

Oh also one more thing to add is that if I come out of the corner and go half throttle it will not really bog. It is when I go wide open throttle that I have the problem.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:43 AM
Tech Addict

Is it possible that my change in driving style can be contributing to the problem. I used to blip the throttle a lot but didn't like the way it unsettled the chassis. Now I let off a little earlier and just go half throttle through corners. Could this be causing the engine to load up?

Gael
Old 06-06-2006, 10:21 AM
Tech Master

Is it possible that my change in driving style can be contributing to the problem. I used to blip the throttle a lot but didn't like the way it unsettled the chassis. Now I let off a little earlier and just go half throttle through corners. Could this be causing the engine to load up?

Gael
its hard to say with out seeing the car run . but with a good clutch set up and a better tune on you engine. you will be back in the fight.
i gotch ya
Old 06-06-2006, 11:10 AM
Tech Elite

Gael
I think that you just need to tune the motor properly. Also make sure that the carb is only being pulled to the needed opening and not past that. Oh and since when do we only go half throttle. j/k I know what you meant
Old 06-06-2006, 11:25 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by dj apolaro
I think that you just need to tune the motor properly. Also make sure that the carb is only being pulled to the needed opening and not past that. Oh and since when do we only go half throttle. j/k I know what you meant
What do you find works better blipping the throttle a lot through the track or being smooth on the trigger? I think I may be faster blipping the throttle but more consisntant being smooth on the throttle.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:31 AM
Tech Initiate

I am having a problem with my mega motor coming out of corners. When I first put the car on the track it works well for about a minute or so but then it start to bog heavily to the point that my car will hardly move and then it suddenly jumps. Any suggestions?

Here are my clutch settings

.5mm clutch gap
.1mm end play
yellow shoe
1.8 spring
standward flywieghts
A starting point for zx12 on 16% nitro would be -
0.4mm head shims
LSN 6 turns out- HSN 5 turns out- idle to suit
Clutch gap 0.6 to 0.7 - heavy spring- 1,2 to 1,4 mm preload
Do not over-gear first gear, let it rev.

As stated previously- be patient and let the motor warm up and the temp stabilise before tuning.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:34 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Forgot to mention

Originally Posted by C Mike Hunt
0.4mm head shims

As stated previously- be patient and let the motor warm up and the temp stabilise before tuning.

Hope this helps.
This is with ambient about 25-30 deg celsius and a #6 plug.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:40 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by C Mike Hunt
0.4mm head shims

Hope this helps.
Last year the motor ran great for me. It is this year that I am having slight problems. Trying to narrow down the source. Only changes I made were the conrod and bearings.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:58 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Tuning Issues

Last year the motor ran great for me. It is this year that I am having slight problems. Trying to narrow down the source. Only changes I made were the conrod and bearings.

One area to look for tuning problems is the low speed needle o-rings. They tend to be split easily by the sleeve. If a problem - fit the new ones with lots of rubber grease or teflon grease. (seal the whole end of the slide if necessary once you get the LSN set)
Also the possibility of air leaks on the back plate etc after the repairs.

New rod can increase compression - what is the shim stack dimension. Did you replace the head shims? They get distorted and hardened after fitting.

These motors are great once you get all the bits in place- but they are not too tolerant if the clutch, gearing or tuning is out of range. They are also thirsty when running strong. But when you get them right they run like a bat out of hell. Well worth the effort.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.