Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Xray T1

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 09:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I just broke out my fk04 for some rubber tire 17.5 parking lot racing this past weekend and it was a blast! You gotta love it when you guesstimate a setup and it just works. I ran an IP5000 lipo sideways across the back under the belt.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:16 PM
Tech Adept

Still my all-time favorite car. The original pivot ball setup was bulletproof. We ran it for an entire season with no changes and when we put it back on the Hudy gauges for the next season, absolutely nothing had changed - amazing. No car that I've owned since was this solid.

If you can find it, one of the original option parts was a stick pack conversion kit (part # 306170). Don't know for sure, but I would think that it is possible (maybe with a few mods) to use it with a standard lipo. Don't know if these fit on the later models (FK04, etc.).

Last edited by calvin; 07-20-2009 at 11:37 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:39 PM
Tech Adept

I hear that but I will probably just use velcro between the lipo and chassis and clamp it down with the saddle clamps.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Alot depends on how your going to use the car, I have two evo2's. One I have run for sedan oval with the electronics on the left and the lipo on the right, perfect for oval. And the other car I was just seting up for some foam carpet with the lipo sidways against the rear bulkheads. X-ray has gone backwrds; imo; the T1 platform is the best car I've ever run.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:00 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bucknuts
I just broke out my fk04 for some rubber tire 17.5 parking lot racing this past weekend and it was a blast! You gotta love it when you guesstimate a setup and it just works. I ran an IP5000 lipo sideways across the back under the belt.
do you have pics of your t1?
Old 07-22-2009, 09:56 AM
Tech Adept

Chris,
Agree with you 100%! We had the original T1 with pivot balls and finally bit the bullet and upgraded with the C-hub conversion kit when it became obvious that parts supplies for the older models was going to dry up. Bought a T2 to race in another class and while it was OK I never thought it was that great and quite frankly haven't and won't put a dime into it except to replace broken parts. My driver takes the T1 hands down any day over the T2. I know I'll never buy another XRay as long as they're using the T2 platform.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Originally Posted by boybawang
Here is a pic of mine as I was setting it up, I'll just use tape to hold in the battery, just a bit easier than using the straps imo.

Originally Posted by calvin
Chris,
Agree with you 100%! We had the original T1 with pivot balls and finally bit the bullet and upgraded with the C-hub conversion kit when it became obvious that parts supplies for the older models was going to dry up. Bought a T2 to race in another class and while it was OK I never thought it was that great and quite frankly haven't and won't put a dime into it except to replace broken parts. My driver takes the T1 hands down any day over the T2. I know I'll never buy another XRay as long as they're using the T2 platform.
The T2 cars were designed when weight savings was needed thus the cars/parts were lightened. This makes the cars more brittle and easier to break. Its funny now with lipo and smaller/lighter electronics everyone has to add weight, it seems that the car makers should see this as an opportunity to add weight to critical areas, but thats just mho. At the pointy end of the scale the T1's are at a disadvantage due to the higher cg and other engenering advances; but at the club level these cars can still clean up. As you mentioned tho parts are getting to be scarce, not impossible but difficullt to find.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:19 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by boybawang
I'll take some and post them after I'm done with the long overdue maintenance rebuild I'm going through.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:35 PM
Tech Adept

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I had to space up the strap-stands 4-5mm and I use velcro underneath the straps. It held up to a beating this weekend..

Also relocated the belt tensioner to the chassis and mounted it to a shortened servo post so the belt clears the Lipo. Does anyone know If I can grind the faux-cells off the bottom of the hard case?
Old 08-18-2009, 10:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

How does the car handle with the lipo across like that?? I know the Lipo is lighter then the NiMh saddle packs and you have to add weight to compensate. So is it safe to say it handles better be cause you can all the weight in the center??
Old 08-19-2009, 12:01 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Goomba_7
How does the car handle with the lipo across like that?? I know the Lipo is lighter then the NiMh saddle packs and you have to add weight to compensate. So is it safe to say it handles better be cause you can all the weight in the center??
I like weight of lipo toward the rear. But, Having hard case lipo, I think there maybe a problem on the drive belt rubbing on the lipo hard case. I see he's not useing a belt tensioner also. I'd stay with the lipo saddleback(trakpower) on the T1.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:24 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bucknuts
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I had to space up the strap-stands 4-5mm and I use velcro underneath the straps. It held up to a beating this weekend..

Also relocated the belt tensioner to the chassis and mounted it to a shortened servo post so the belt clears the Lipo. Does anyone know If I can grind the faux-cells off the bottom of the hard case?
Originally Posted by Geezatec
I like weight of lipo toward the rear. But, Having hard case lipo, I think there maybe a problem on the drive belt rubbing on the lipo hard case. I see he's not useing a belt tensioner also. I'd stay with the lipo saddleback(trakpower) on the T1.
There is a belt tensioner fitted to the lower chassis plate. I thought the same thing until I took a good look.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:40 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by $$$...
There is a belt tensioner fitted to the lower chassis plate. I thought the same thing until I took a good look.
Good Eye!! Dude!! I could see it. Just have to see if its legal. If it sticks out too far from chassis. I really don't know. A fine line on legality. I still like the saddlebacks MaxAmp for the bashers, Trakpower for racers.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default New

Hey, some one wants to trade one of my converted electric cars for one of these and I was told by one of my friends that is a smc driver that it is a little old and that parts are not that easy to find and I just found this thread and decided to ask you guys, are parts easy to find for this car and is this car a good reliable car and is it good for racing or for bashing, LMK via PM or Email or just on this thread.

Evan
Old 08-21-2009, 12:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by evanwest94
Hey, some one wants to trade one of my converted electric cars for one of these and I was told by one of my friends that is a smc driver that it is a little old and that parts are not that easy to find and I just found this thread and decided to ask you guys, are parts easy to find for this car and is this car a good reliable car and is it good for racing or for bashing, LMK via PM or Email or just on this thread.

Evan
At the club level the T1 can run with any of the current crop of TC's, and if you are planning on bashing with it...well sell it to me and use the money to buy something with Traxxas written on the box Parts can be hard to come by at times, but The RC Shack has a good selection of "most likely to break" parts and awesome customer service. Ampdraw Hobbies has some T1 stuff as well, and even fleabay and the classifieds here on RCTech have the occassional T1 roller or parts lot come through. Do you know specifically which car it is?

-rocky b

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.