Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LiPo fires. Let's collect some data

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 06:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

i bought gnfusion (ebay) shorty packs from china. They were 4000mah. So i usually charge at 1C which is 4 amps. No problems at all. One day i was in a hurry and charged at 2C, 8 Amps. WHile it was in the car and running, suddenly it burst into flames. I beleive it couldnt take the 2C charge, asi bought 3 packs, and the one that i charged at 2C caught fire. I have charged integy packs at 2C and faced no problems at all. Turnigy is good too.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

I thought Mike was using an iCharger when it blew? It would have made sense as for the past two weekends he kept having me help him use it, 2s mode would have done it. But that's just my theory.

He looked pretty bad today, a lot worse than Billy's photo made it out to be. His whole ear looks burnt to a crisp.

No matter how safe anyone can be, stuff can still happen, so nothing more reliable than a lipo bag.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:05 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Xpress
Does the GFX have a balance circuit?
No....which according to the new ROAR rules is illegal unless you use an inline balancer. All Lipo's must be charged using inline or built in balancer now.

EA
Old 04-29-2013, 07:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cgroves
2S saddle pack in my Losi 22 went off last year. Didn't realize battery was already charged and the auto-detect in the charger id'ed it as a 3S and I missed it (no confirm screen). Incinerated the front half of the buggy and did a job on the table and a bunch of the tools nearby.
If it's not to much to ask, what charger were you using?

Originally Posted by alcyon
i bought gnfusion (ebay) shorty packs from china. They were 4000mah. So i usually charge at 1C which is 4 amps. No problems at all. One day i was in a hurry and charged at 2C, 8 Amps. WHile it was in the car and running, suddenly it burst into flames. I beleive it couldnt take the 2C charge, asi bought 3 packs, and the one that i charged at 2C caught fire. I have charged integy packs at 2C and faced no problems at all. Turnigy is good too.
Again, please list more details of how this happened. What charger? Were you balance charging?

Guys, I appreciate the replies, but lets get some more details on these incidents. We all know they can catch fire, let's work out why....
Old 04-29-2013, 08:28 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by CountryHick
Guys, The whole idea of this thread was to try and correlate specifics from those who've had a fire.
As yet, all I see is vague descriptions of, "I saw this", "I saw that'.
Please list the equipment.
If you've been doing something wrong and your scared of repercussions, make a fake username.
I have a suspicion some chargers on the market, are causing lots of these fires.
If there's evidence a charger is suspect, it could be flagged and discouraged from use. Myself and my two boys race and after seeing a LiPo go up in flames (nobody injured) I feel the need to ask questions and I hope to get answers.
What your asking is all wrong. Listen to all the answers. People's ignorance caused the fires. Not the equipment.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:28 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Juan Aveytia
What your asking is all wrong. Listen to all the answers. People's ignorance caused the fires. Not the equipment.
Thanks for your opinion Juan.
Never the less, I'm sure the whole RC community can benefit from more information on the circumstances surrounding these fires.
I wonder how long till insurance companies won't cover our clubs???? This is why we should be asking more questions, finding answers and reducing risk.

I'd like to here from guys who've had LiPo's go up because they abused them, (use a fake account if needed) just as much as the people who don't know why they've had an issue. The key is to share information in as much detail as possible.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

FYI, Having an alternate account on RCtech can and will get you banned if you are caught.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
No....which according to the new ROAR rules is illegal unless you use an inline balancer. All Lipo's must be charged using inline or built in balancer now.

EA
Actually the current ROAR rules require that a charger have built in balancing capabilities.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:14 AM
Tech Elite

Lipo damaged is caused by the following.

1.Contamination of chemistry at Manufacture.

2.Bullshit specs especially c ratings when guys run big escs and motors thinking the c ratings are accurate.

3.Chargers as alot of chargers are junk and are not accurate .

4.More than 1c charging many batterys on the market that cant handle the actual charge current the specs state.

5.All batterys should be balanced .

Just my two cents worth of info.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:39 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rocketron
Actually the current ROAR rules require that a charger have built in balancing capabilities.
Ah....Good to know Ron. I thought there was an option for an inline balancer for chargers like the GFX that do not have one built in.

Thanks for clarification!

EA
Old 04-30-2013, 05:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The way I see it problems fall into 3 buckets.

1. Racers pushing the limits with end voltages over 4.22, high discharge and charge rates leading to excessive heat, etc...

I think I am the only guy at my track that charges to 4.2v. One guy with a GFX charges at 20A to 4.35v. Yes, we have talked to him about it and yes we have seen him turn a couple packs into footballs. I wont pit next to him.

2. User error during charging (charging 1s as 2s or 2s as 3s via setting or auto detect error, shorting alligator clips, etc...)

I think this is what may have happened to Mike Bruce.

3. Poor/sketchy equipment. I'm sorry but the Turbo 35 GFX falls into this category. You have to be careful using one. With all the stuff racers have to work on chargers should be idiot proof.

EA mentioned the GFX issue. There was one example already on this thread of a guy's charger detecting a charged 2s pack as a 3s and it not having a verify before start screen. This is not good.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I pulled some gear out of storage and a Hobby People pack was swelled up like a tick. It had shucked itself half out of it's ROAR legal case. I put on some safety goggles and grabbed a garden hoe and beat the living $#!t out of it. It unraveled. I thought maybe it smoked a little. No flames. The smoke could have just been dust cause I was wailing on it.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:35 PM
Tech Initiate

Wow, didn't realize I had dormant little fireballs sitting in my house. I charge my 2s lipo's after each use at 6amps with my traxxas ez-peak charger. Then I put them in my toolbox stacked on each other. Should I be looking at a different practice?
Old 04-30-2013, 05:53 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Originally Posted by Odin544
FYI, Having an alternate account on RCtech can and will get you banned if you are caught.
This is the truth, I don't advise opening another acout...if u do then ur ip a dress will give it away!
Originally Posted by phantom405
Wow, didn't realize I had dormant little fireballs sitting in my house. I charge my 2s lipo's after each use at 6amps with my traxxas ez-peak charger. Then I put them in my toolbox stacked on each other. Should I be looking at a different practice?
I charge my lipos at no higher than 3amps, its just easier on the lipos instead of pumping them at a high rate of charge!! But this is just me, I'm certain there will be others that have a dif opinion!!
Old 04-30-2013, 06:01 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
I pulled some gear out of storage and a Hobby People pack was swelled up like a tick. It had shucked itself half out of it's ROAR legal case. I put on some safety goggles and grabbed a garden hoe and beat the living $#!t out of it. It unraveled. I thought maybe it smoked a little. No flames. The smoke could have just been dust cause I was wailing on it.

i did he same thing with a pack i had...did it at work that sucker burned quite nicley

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.