Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree14Likes

Tamiya 1/12 R/C RM-01 "Racing Master"

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 10:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

How do you guys true down your RM-01 wheel/tires?
Is there a special arbor for the RM-01/wheels/tires?
Old 11-13-2012, 04:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Does anyone know how the Tamiya side springs (RC RM01 Roll Spring Set) compare to the Associated ones for example? i.e. what are the spring rates?
Old 11-13-2012, 04:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Radio Active
Does anyone know how the Tamiya side springs (RC RM01 Roll Spring Set) compare to the Associated ones for example? i.e. what are the spring rates?
i may be off, but i think the tamiya pink is similar to the associated silver.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:53 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by mkennedy
i may be off, but i think the tamiya pink is similar to the associated silver.
So, there is gold, pink, silver and black. And they are super-soft, soft, medium and hard according to Tamiya America, but they don't say which is which. From the order in the picture you'd say that pink is soft, but if I look at the coils on the springs I'd reckon pink is super-soft. Can you enlighten me?
Old 11-13-2012, 10:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Ok, I've done a little reading and I won a RM01 at a local race. I already have a CRC 3.2 (2004-2006) 1/12th. I am thinking of selling it and either running the RM01 or the new CRC Xti. I would spend about the same amout of money on the TRF Hop-ups as a new CRC Xti, or close to that. I found the basic hopup list but would the car need to be full hopups to be able to run with the newer cars?

The question is, if I buy the TRF hop-ups will it be close enough to the CRC to be able to race them for the win?

I will be racing with the new AE 12R5.2 and the new CRC Xti. I will want to win and not be a mid pack runner.

I read that RedBull ran a stock kit RM01 at the TCS and did very well. We have a TCS race close to me and I would like to go, as it will be my first TCS race and I was planning on running the RM01.

The track I race at is a carpet track and the TCS race will be on asphalt.

I am thinking that I need to leave the RM01 stock for the TCS race and get the CRC to race on carpet. I would like to have just one car, but I would not mind having two.

Just looking for some input on what other people have done.

Thanks
Chris
Old 11-14-2012, 02:48 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by ChrisR40
Ok, I've done a little reading and I won a RM01 at a local race. I already have a CRC 3.2 (2004-2006) 1/12th. I am thinking of selling it and either running the RM01 or the new CRC Xti. I would spend about the same amout of money on the TRF Hop-ups as a new CRC Xti, or close to that. I found the basic hopup list but would the car need to be full hopups to be able to run with the newer cars?

The question is, if I buy the TRF hop-ups will it be close enough to the CRC to be able to race them for the win?

I will be racing with the new AE 12R5.2 and the new CRC Xti. I will want to win and not be a mid pack runner.

I read that RedBull ran a stock kit RM01 at the TCS and did very well. We have a TCS race close to me and I would like to go, as it will be my first TCS race and I was planning on running the RM01.

The track I race at is a carpet track and the TCS race will be on asphalt.

I am thinking that I need to leave the RM01 stock for the TCS race and get the CRC to race on carpet. I would like to have just one car, but I would not mind having two.

Just looking for some input on what other people have done.

Thanks
Chris
To some extent it probably depends on your home track and the competition, but I think the RM-01 is capable. As mentioned earlier I've been using the front end on a scratch built car (why? because it only costs $15 all up), but I've found it to be a very competent piece of equipment. It's very similar to the Speed Merchant old skool front end that won the Japanese Nationals last year.

In terms of the rear suspension, it's the same ball pivot suspension every other car (just about) is running.

So then, the hot ups you'll want are those to use American wheels on the front and stiffer pod pieces. Once the graphite rear axle is released the only thing that will be letting the car down is that there really isn't quite enough ride height at the front without filing pieces.

------

Now, surely someone must know the order of the Tamiya springs from super-soft to hard? Anyone?
Old 11-14-2012, 04:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Black - Hard
Gold - Med
Silver - Soft
Pink - Super Soft
Old 11-14-2012, 04:55 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Black - Hard
Gold - Med
Silver - Soft
Pink - Super Soft
Thanks.

I'm also using the Tamiya spring retainers, and have been crimping the Associated springs so they don't come off. So far I've used green through blue. If pink is about a silver then the Tamiya springs should cover the top half of the range for me. I might have to keep crimping greens in low traction though.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

last night i've done some more testing with the RM-01 chassis, i've installed the F104verII roll damper with medium grease and softer roll springs and the car handled even better then last week.
I was almost as fast as the modified touring guys, i was just using a 17.5T (a cheap but a great $33 trackstar motor) boosted 1 cell configuration.
It's a big indoor track with a 30m straight, and still i have the feeling that the car can be even faster with some more fine tuning
Qatmix likes this.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Today i've finished a new body for my RM01 chassis, pictures will follow
The chassis has been upgraded with all the hopups, such as the carbon chassis and alu motor mount etc.
I'm thinking to compete this wknd in a race of 1/12th scale cars, it would be the first time.
What's the usual ride hight of 1/12Th scale pan cars?
Old 11-22-2012, 03:08 PM
Tech Champion

Well for carpet most places have a 3mm minimum so a little over that. At our asphalt track I run 4.5mm because we have banked turns and it needs to be a little higher for the transitions.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

as promised here are some pictures om my hoped up RM-01

The rear with a trackstar 17.5T motor (wich i do like a lot and runs great)

Here is a close-up of the front end, it's been modified to have more consistant laps. Before the smallest screw wasn't long enough to keep the suspension in place. And i added a turnbuckle for extra strenght
Old 11-23-2012, 03:20 AM
Tech Champion

I did a little testing on the affect of the turnbuckle on the front suspension. It definitely took away steering on entry and especially in the mid-corner. Which makes perfect sense of course. Any time the suspension is loaded up the front arms flex as a unit, and effectively add camber in the corner. Put the turnbuckle on and you lose that steering because the arm no longer flexes.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Radio Active
I did a little testing on the affect of the turnbuckle on the front suspension. It definitely took away steering on entry and especially in the mid-corner. Which makes perfect sense of course. Any time the suspension is loaded up the front arms flex as a unit, and effectively add camber in the corner. Put the turnbuckle on and you lose that steering because the arm no longer flexes.
It reacts less agressive and much smoother. I haven't had any issues with entry or midcorner. The car feels for my personal driving much smoother and more controlable. This way the car handles just the way i wanted to react, smooth and still direct steering respons.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Nice Build a2blue

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.