1/8th On Road Losing Popularity?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/8th On Road Losing Popularity?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 08:41 AM
Tech Master

Championship races: Not all areas of the US are hosting "Championship races". It appears the areas running "championship series" are doing well.

The "Series" race concept was brought into this discussion as a way to increase attendance and interest in 1/8th racing. I believe adding additional classes just dilutes the "core" racing attendance - The series creates a competition goal and long term interest (for the 6 or so races you need to attend for points).

In the Southland they have "big" races every month - so many, in my opinion, they have over-saturated the concept... who the hell knows which of the 12 or so "big" events are the "one" to attend.

The series would focus the events so everyone would know which is the "race" to "be at".
Old 09-08-2005, 09:27 AM
Tech Adept

Default Series races rock

You are making good points Rich

Let's talk soon

Rick
Old 09-08-2005, 09:38 AM
Tech Elite

Nitrodude, I have run the SH onroad engine. I think you are right in being sceptical about the quality, mine ran well & made good power. I sold it before longevity became a factor. I did not sell it because I was unhappy with it, someone just wanted it more than I did.
The Cipolla I mentioned is an Italian engine, for the same price.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:08 AM
Tech Regular

Rich,

I agree with you 100% about series racing. Here in the midwest, we have the Midwest Series. It is the oldest running series in the world (36th season) and it continues to grow in attendance (approx 70-90 entries). We run really 3 main classes, 1/8th 4WD, 1/10th Outlaw (ROAR Open class), and the 1/10th 200mm cars. I also break up the 1/8th 4WD class to award Masters points to the 45 and over guys. However I run them together with the open guys so they are within the same caliber of drivers and keeps the attendance number still high in 1/8th which is our strongest class.

Here in the midwest, USA, we are doing great with 1/8th and not loosing popularity, in fact I think it is slowly increasing.

FYI..... We have the Midwest Series (6 races of 6 months), the Great Lakes Challenge, and a Charity Series. That pretty much fills the calendar here in this area, and the die-hards attend the "big-ones" like the Winternats, ROAR Nationals, and maybe a Spring shot over in Vegas or California. Rich......I liked Vegas ....hopfully I can make it back over to your area!!!!

Later,
Brian Berry
2005 Midwest Series Director
www.midwestseries.com
Old 09-08-2005, 11:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

This thread has created two discussion points...
1.) how to increase attendance at races,
2.) how to lower the cost of 1/8th scale..

the way I see it, the folowing have been suggested solutions...
1.) series race
2.) spec engine / spec class

Now everyone has agreement's / disagreement on which works best, and each area of the country has its own pros & cons.

Series races promote larger turnouts, YES. I said 8 pages ago that I felt 1/8th was not losing popularity, its just racers are being selective as to which events they attend....which has an impact on racing at the local level (I'm curious to see if racers will continue travaling if gas prices continue to rise.)

To some degree, there is a nationwide series event for 1/8th on-raod....Winternats, Vegas, Biggie, ROAR Nats, GLC, Vegas and I'm sure I forgot a few...

The problem with series events is it takes full time commitments to run them successfully (midwest guys are lucky) and unless you only race within the series, I do not see how a series event only will reduce the cost of racing, especially at the local level...people still want to race/practice while preparing for the next series event?

Hence the reason why we want to introduce the "SPEC" engine concept for racing.

The "SPEC" guidlines do not force a club or a driver to go out and purchase a new engine....the guidlines are there incase a local club wants to set-up a "SPEC" class, they will have something to refer to.

This Quote from Dennis: (Motorman)
"If you go to the site and look at the last couple years point standings you will see the classes as far as draw have been pretty consistant. you will see a big step in 1/8th scale from 2003 to 2004 but we added a masters class so it is decieving."

So by adding a Master's class, turnout improved??? ....if so, than adding a "SPEC" class will not ruin 1/8th racing....
Old 09-08-2005, 11:49 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Brian Berry
Rich,
That pretty much fills the calendar here in this area, and the die-hards attend the "big-ones" like the Winternats, ROAR Nationals, and maybe a Spring shot over in Vegas or California. Rich......I liked Vegas ....hopfully I can make it back over to your area!!!!

Later,
Brian Berry
www.midwestseries.com
Hey Brian,

I enjoyed Ohio. I'm actually from Northern California, SF Bay Area. Although Vegas and I get along very well

See you in Fla.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Love Vegas and my next favorite event is the GLC...I'll be back again for this one..
Old 09-08-2005, 12:18 PM
Tech Regular

Masters class really didn't improve attendance. I wasn't implying that it did help attendance. That why I said there was 3 main classes we at the Midwest Series run. The Masters class is just a manual thing I do when it comes to scoring points. Many of the Masters driver like the idea and the way it is being done currently. They get to still race with the same level of racers in a skills set, but get points based on thier class, Masters. They also have the option of not being scored for Masters points if they wish to be scored with the Open guys.

A "SPEC" class sounds great. As long as you have support from an engine manufacturer that can produce low cost engines. It seems the MEGA line of engines is a perfect example, since they are low cost compared to many others. A SPEC class would be a great way to help the popularity. Sounds as if you thought I was against it, but I'M NOT.

The comments you displayed from Motorman, is very true. Most of the classes have been pretty consistant over the last couple seasons, but 1/8th has picked up more than the other classes. So with the Masters class added simply take the 1/8th Open points and the Masters points and add the attendance together. Here is our breakdown in popularity for the Midwest Series (and I know we are fortunate to have many loyal 1/8th racers here but here are the numbers):

2001 = 64 different racers
2002 = 65 different racers
2003 = 84 different racers (biggest jump)
2004 = 79 different racers
2005 = 69 different racers (however our year isn't over yet and we are heading to tracks that are heavily 8th favored clubs and have not attended a series race this season)

But summing things up, yes a SPEC class would be good. But I'm not sure how to implement it when we already have a majority already in 1/8th. Would it actually make it better? If someone racing 200mm, sees the prices dropping for 1/8th, sells his 200mm, then starts racing 1/8th, did we really gain anything? I guess looking at the big picture, how many new racers would that bring into our sport? .......I hope not too much as we are having a tough time finishing our schedule when we get a large turnout of 100 or so entries.....LOL Then we would have to cap the entries!!!!

Carl, I understand your ideas. It would be nice if it could happen. I would support it at a local level (club, region races).

Brian Berry
www.midwestseries.com
Old 09-08-2005, 12:44 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by R40Victim
I'm pretty sure most of the guys running 8th scale now are unlikely to leave their current class. The new class is for new drivers. That's why we're trying to get more low buck cars together, so more 10th scale guys would try it out... I picked up an XR80, and I'm hooked.
Sorry but this is not true this class is for anyone.
No matter what your racing ability you are allowed to sign up in this class if you meat the criteria, which is off road five port and down engine.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:59 PM
Tech Master

We do not have a club or for that matter enough organized people to create a club, maybe we should start there first. There use to be two clubs Greater LA and Pro Car West they were both great clubs they worked together and held races opposite of each other, now we have nothing. If a series is what's needed or wanted then we should start now and plan for next year lets agree and get some dates on paper instead of talking about what we should do.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:00 PM
Tech Master

And by the way this is off the subject at had.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Club

Originally Posted by ROBBIE C
We do not have a club or for that matter enough organized people to create a club, maybe we should start there first. There use to be two clubs Greater LA and Pro Car West they were both great clubs they worked together and held races opposite of each other, now we have nothing. If a series is what's needed or wanted then we should start now and plan for next year lets agree and get some dates on paper instead of talking about what we should do.

I nominate Robbie fpr President!
Old 09-08-2005, 01:07 PM
Tech Master

Only if you'el be the Vice Prez.......................lol
Old 09-08-2005, 01:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What I was trying to say is the "Elite" guys aren't likely leave the current class to slow down and rub elbows with newbs, at least that's the case around here. If they wanted to, cool, I like following faster guys to learn how to pick up speed. I ran 10th scale nitro touring for over a year, in all that time, there was always the newb, or "Amature" class. Made up mostly of RTRs, with very few "kit" exceptions. I'd never throw my R40 on the track with a bunch of 4-tecs and RS4-3 RTRs piloted by kids who have little or no experience. I just couldn't see somebody dropping their $1500 racecar down next to a bunch of XR80s, reguardless of what motor they ran, spec or not. I'm not saying it couldn't or shouldn't happen, just that it's unlikely. The whole point of this post is to help 8th scale where it's slowed down. Sure, things for 8th scale are great where there are nice tracks, with big events, and plenty of people with deep pockets, this is NOT for them. This is to help the OTHER guys out. If your happy with things the way they are, great, shut up. I promiss, it won't hurt your precious, elitest, F-1 class. We're looking to get 10th scale guys interested. I doubt very many people would pick up an 8th scale car for their first. I believe it's best to start 10th scale, then when you get bored with it, as I did, upgrade to beter performing cars. The only problem right now is, they're just too damn expensive...

P.S. Except the XR80.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:09 PM
Tech Master

To be honest I don't think we need a club to create a series.
If we contact the track owners and operaters I'm sure we can work something out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.