Wiki Posts
Search

DIGITAL OR ANALOG

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 04:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nigelnuggets
Whatever Scott, arguing with you is pointless. Nobody can ever win because you're ALWAYS right, aren't you?

The point I'm trying to make is that, even if you ask Barry Baker, when he builds his cars he doesn't even think about weight. We had a long conversation about this at TFT. If you see officials tech his cars, the triple beam balance scales drop to the ground.

You make the servos sound bad because they're THAT much heavier. And really it is not that big of a deal.

Here how about this, try running the servos in your car sometime, and see if that 25g makes you that much slower. Then come back to me.
You can't win an argument when you have nothing to argue about. I have extolled every virtue of both choices and people can make their own decisions. I believe I said the brushless servo is faster, higher torque, as well as it should last longer and draw less current. I never said they were bad, or even meant to imply that. I said my choices I feel are fast enough, strong enough while costing and weighing less. You were trying to "win" an argument by refuting what I said while saying something that wasn't true. That's it. At this time I would rather run lighter servos and I think it makes a difference. Facts are facts and opinion is opinion. I have stated some facts and some things that are my opinion.

Tell me what I have said that is wrong?

If I could drive as well as Barry, it wouldn't matter that much. I don't drive like Barry so I need to make my car as competetive as possible.

Last edited by Scott Fisher; 02-01-2008 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:46 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by E.Rocha
Scott
when the last time you win major race with all fast drivers?
you too much concern on weight and too much talk, I guaranty you still not faster.
What are you even talking about. All you do is spew negativity. Never help, never give advice or do anything positive. You just talk junk. How about helping somebody instead of continually making posts tearing somebody down?

I haven't ever won a major race with all the fast drivers. I don't drive as well as they do. As a matter of fact very few people on these boards have won a major race. That doesn't discount any experiences or knowledge at all. As I said to Nigel, I don't drive as well as the best in the world, so I have to prepare my car as well as possible. I can guarnatee one thing. I am faster now than I was last year.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Wait till Wallyedmonds gets into this one
Old 02-01-2008, 05:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by cdelong
Scott- I can build 2400mah or 2700mah packs for $30. That's a no brainer- especially with an underweight car.
Yep, and it is a good place to add weight. I wanted to try lowering my tank so I went with the thinner battery. If the higher capacity battery was the same thickness, I would take the extra weight.

How did it go in Florida?
Old 02-01-2008, 05:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Team Kamikaze
Wait till Wallyedmonds gets into this one
I saw a post from him a while back in the electric forums. I am paraphrasing, but he was talking about he just gets blasted by everybody when he posts in the nitro forums.

I don't miss his advice.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Moron!!

Originally Posted by E.Rocha
Scott
when the last time you win major race with all fast drivers?
you too much concern on weight and too much talk, I guaranty you still not faster.
E. Roch 36 posts = 36 stupid posts!!!! Dude are you retarded or just bored, what have you won? 3rd grade spelling be or nothing ..............I'm guessing!!!!

Go away!!!!
Old 02-01-2008, 06:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

brad just say arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics even if you win your still reatarded get back to making those trick parts
Tommy.D
Old 02-01-2008, 06:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by nigelnuggets
Whatever Scott, arguing with you is pointless. Nobody can ever win because you're ALWAYS right, aren't you?

The point I'm trying to make is that, even if you ask Barry Baker, when he builds his cars he doesn't even think about weight. We had a long conversation about this at TFT. If you see officials tech his cars, the triple beam balance scales drop to the ground.

You make the servos sound bad because they're THAT much heavier. And really it is not that big of a deal.

Here how about this, try running the servos in your car sometime, and see if that 25g makes you that much slower. Then come back to me.

you know nigel does have a point the only parts that really need to be lightened on the car is the parts that roate chenter shafts pulley the front spool that will make the car spool up faster i went through all the light weight parts on my mtx4 and then ran it stock the only parts i could notice a difference on was the rotating mass
Old 02-01-2008, 07:17 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by YBSLOW
E. Roch 36 posts = 36 stupid posts!!!! Dude are you retarded or just bored, what have you won? 3rd grade spelling be or nothing ..............I'm guessing!!!!

Go away!!!!
You said it dude. How does a discussion on servos degrade into a completely out of topic comment on someone's driving? E. Roch, take a hike!

Getting back to servos, I don't think Scott is alone in his quest for driving down weight. I go out to a club that ranges from sponsored drivers driving 30 races a year or more down to casual drivers like myself driving 10 or less races/year and I'd say over 50 percent of drivers are highly concerned with getting weight down to a minimum. Some don't care much, others don't know, and yes, there are a few good drivers drivers who don't fuss with weight much but the majority of top drivers that I see constantly look for an advantage and will take it where they can get it. If it's weight, they go for it. Is there a real no doubt about it advantage? Who knows? No stats are kept on winning cars vs. weight. For big meets, all cars are above a certain weight but no one asks the winner 'How heavy was your car?' Of the world's top 100 drivers I'd say each driver had different ways of getting there.

On the BLS, it looks like a great servo for sure. I'm interested but it's the servo's price, more than it's weight, that bothers me. There is a hint of new for the sake of new so people don't lose interest or Futaba doesn't look like old tech. New products always carry development costs in their price. Servos and brushless motors have been around a long time so combining isn't exactly 'high tech'. I'm sure Hitec, Sanwa, or Ko Propo could build the same thing. For me, the ultimate servo would let me control torque and speed (so I could switch it to any application I needed), would be reliable, have low current draw, be lightweight, and be low cost.

Rob
Old 02-01-2008, 07:52 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kyoshokidd
you know nigel does have a point the only parts that really need to be lightened on the car is the parts that roate chenter shafts pulley the front spool that will make the car spool up faster i went through all the light weight parts on my mtx4 and then ran it stock the only parts i could notice a difference on was the rotating mass
Nigel never mentioned anything about rotating weight although I totally agree with you. Less rotating weight definitely helps and I have worked on that as well Tommy. Ybslow aluminum front spool. Ybslow aluminum front shaft. Ybslow aluminum 2 sp shaft. Kyosho lightweight clutch bell, and aluminum pinions. I switched the brake pulley back to the plastic one off an earlier RRR.
I also use the Kyosho Titanium bevel shafts in the diff. I would always remove rotating weight when I can.

If it didn't matter not only would there not be all the option parts, but there wouldn't be a minimum weight rule. When it comes to static weight, there is only one advantage to having an underweight car. If you have to add weight back onto your car you can at least try to add it down low and in places to help balance the car to your liking. Have you ever seen or heard of the guys that have 4 small scales to try and get the weight on every wheel even? It isn't easy let me tell you. You would be shocked how the balance can change with one rotation of a spring collar.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scott Fisher
Yep, and it is a good place to add weight. I wanted to try lowering my tank so I went with the thinner battery. If the higher capacity battery was the same thickness, I would take the extra weight.

How did it go in Florida?
Hired I start in June after graduation.

I will let you know on the BLS servos.... I just got the 351/451 combo for my Evolva. No M3 yet.... not enough parts support and I got plenty of 05/07 stuff and 3 new Cordobas to work out in FL

Looks like Kissimmee will be my new home.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by cdelong
Hired I start in June after graduation.

I will let you know on the BLS servos.... I just got the 351/451 combo for my Evolva. No M3 yet.... not enough parts support and I got plenty of 05/07 stuff and 3 new Cordobas to work out in FL

Looks like Kissimmee will be my new home.
Congrats on the new gig. I just sold my Evolva less than a week ago. Kyosho just got parts in for the M3, so they should start hitting hobby shops next week.

3 New Cordobas... Somebody at Novarossi should buy you dinner!!
Old 02-02-2008, 01:06 AM
Tech Elite

Nigel never mentioned anything about rotating weight although I totally agree with you. Less rotating weight definitely helps and I have worked on that as well Tommy. Ybslow aluminum front spool. Ybslow aluminum front shaft. Ybslow aluminum 2 sp shaft. Kyosho lightweight clutch bell, and aluminum pinions. I switched the brake pulley back to the plastic one off an earlier RRR.
I also use the Kyosho Titanium bevel shafts in the diff. I would always remove rotating weight when I can.

If it didn't matter not only would there not be all the option parts, but there wouldn't be a minimum weight rule. When it comes to static weight, there is only one advantage to having an underweight car. If you have to add weight back onto your car you can at least try to add it down low and in places to help balance the car to your liking. Have you ever seen or heard of the guys that have 4 small scales to try and get the weight on every wheel even? It isn't easy let me tell you. You would be shocked how the balance can change with one rotation of a spring collar.
I did say drivetrain, i guess i have to further elaborate, but then again even if i did, you're always right Scott.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:18 AM
Tech Master

Congrats on the new gig. I just sold my Evolva less than a week ago. Kyosho just got parts in for the M3, so they should start hitting hobby shops next week.

3 New Cordobas... Somebody at Novarossi should buy you dinner!!
I'd settle for a few glowplugs. They don't survive the bench break in too well.

I'll wait for you "pro's" to get the M3 sorted out and buy the "upgrade" version next year
Old 02-02-2008, 06:27 AM
Tech Master

As an engineer and former drag racer.... if you need to go on a diet, first hit "unsprung" weight- ti. pillow balls, lightweight axles and lightweight rims are the largest items. Next go for rotating mass.... flywheel, shafts, two speed, pulley hubs, etc...

Unsprung weight equals twice the face value of what you remove in sprung weight- ie. remove 10g w/ pillow balls, you would need to remove 20g w/ a servo or some other sprung weight source. If you run 5 spoke rims, get honeycomb rims..... you will not believe how fast you will be underweight if you are on the edge. Thats when you will need the brass battery tray

It's all good

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.