R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-24-2008, 12:08 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 81
Default DIGITAL OR ANALOG

Hi just want ta ask advice from you guys what is the good model and brand of servo for steering and throttle in car 1/10?
Hoping can get response from you guys
NOVICE4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 12:23 AM   #2
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 4,148
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher
Default

I run the Futaba S9452 servo for steering and the Futaba S9550 servo for throttle/brake. Both digitals, and lighter than the "average" servo. They are smaller than the average servos as well. Priced well for a premium servo. I would definitely use a digital servo for steering. Digital or analog for throttle.

You are going to get a lot of different responses to this question.
__________________
| Capricorn | Ybslow | Proline-Protoform | Johnny Bravo Racing | Desoto Racing | Murnan Modified | Matrix Tires | Powermaster Fuel |
Scott Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 12:46 AM   #3
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 81
Default

You are using futaba brand too bad 9452 is not available here in our place only 9451.
NOVICE4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:18 AM   #4
Tech Lord
 
Oasis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: * Sin Cal *
Posts: 10,336
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

Servos..The great debate....Most manufactures (major) make good servos nowadays..Brands it all comes down to personal preference..A lot of guys like hitec..I have had to many bad experiences with them..I do know quite a few guys that have had great luck using their digitals though. I would look more at numbers..For steering somewhere in the 140oz to 200oz any more would be overkill, Speed is once again a personal preference, I look for something in the .10 range, I have used servos in the .06 and I ended up slowing the speed down, On steering I prefer digital because they seem to center better (more consistent) than an analog servo. On the throttle I prefer an analog servo due to the fact that they hold up better in stall situations than digital servos do..your end point adjustments are a lot more critical on a digital servo than they are on an analog servo,,It's very easy to burn up your digital servo. Once again for the throttle I look at the numbers..Something in the range of 90oz to 140oz depending on the brakes and how much i wish to spend..I have been using a Futaba S3305 on some of my off road MT's it's in the 130oz range and it's not real fast but it's fast enough for me, and it was cheap ($31.50 at my LHS). If you want to keep the costs down you could go with a JR 650 for steering and a JR 590 for the throttle..Both would cost you in the $90 range..I guess it depends on how much you want to spend. Pretty much if you pay attention to your end point adjustments and dont hit to many "objects" you should get quite a bit of use from your servos. Everyone has opinions on Brands..and some are fiercely loyal to said brand....I really feel that as long as you stick to the major brands you'll be fine..It's the numbers..that's the key to servo happiness. I use JR 9100T's in my truggys, that would be overkill in a 1/10 TC..Numbers..
__________________
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
Oasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:24 AM   #5
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 4,148
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVICE4EVER View Post
You are using futaba brand too bad 9452 is not available here in our place only 9451.
S9451 has been discontinued. You should see the S9452 wherever you are soon.
__________________
| Capricorn | Ybslow | Proline-Protoform | Johnny Bravo Racing | Desoto Racing | Murnan Modified | Matrix Tires | Powermaster Fuel |
Scott Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 05:45 AM   #6
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 81
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oasis View Post
Servos..The great debate....Most manufactures (major) make good servos nowadays..Brands it all comes down to personal preference..A lot of guys like hitec..I have had to many bad experiences with them..I do know quite a few guys that have had great luck using their digitals though. I would look more at numbers..For steering somewhere in the 140oz to 200oz any more would be overkill, Speed is once again a personal preference, I look for something in the .10 range, I have used servos in the .06 and I ended up slowing the speed down, On steering I prefer digital because they seem to center better (more consistent) than an analog servo. On the throttle I prefer an analog servo due to the fact that they hold up better in stall situations than digital servos do..your end point adjustments are a lot more critical on a digital servo than they are on an analog servo,,It's very easy to burn up your digital servo. Once again for the throttle I look at the numbers..Something in the range of 90oz to 140oz depending on the brakes and how much i wish to spend..I have been using a Futaba S3305 on some of my off road MT's it's in the 130oz range and it's not real fast but it's fast enough for me, and it was cheap ($31.50 at my LHS). If you want to keep the costs down you could go with a JR 650 for steering and a JR 590 for the throttle..Both would cost you in the $90 range..I guess it depends on how much you want to spend. Pretty much if you pay attention to your end point adjustments and dont hit to many "objects" you should get quite a bit of use from your servos. Everyone has opinions on Brands..and some are fiercely loyal to said brand....I really feel that as long as you stick to the major brands you'll be fine..It's the numbers..that's the key to servo happiness. I use JR 9100T's in my truggys, that would be overkill in a 1/10 TC..Numbers..
Thanks for the feedback, yup i always hear about "personal preference", but the problem right now i don't have any preference
One thing more the word "end point adjustment" i believe that "EPA" in my controller which i dont know how to use it and another word is "ABS" which i cant figure out the functions.
I might consider your suggestion digital for steering and analog for throttle thanks.
NOVICE4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 05:47 AM   #7
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 81
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Fisher View Post
S9451 has been discontinued. You should see the S9452 wherever you are soon.
I only rely to what LHS can supply us. and I think S9451 is the only servo they offer and not S9452. Reality really bites
NOVICE4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:10 AM   #8
Tech Addict
 
Saint728's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sydney Australia Honolulu Hawaii
Posts: 655
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Saint728 Send a message via Skype™ to Saint728
Default

Have you thought about KO Propo servos? They are excellent servos and very well made. I use the discontinued PDS-2143 FET its speed is 0.08 sec and 8 kilos of torque. I also use the PDS-2413 ICS. It's a low profile servo and it has a speed of 0.10 sec and 8.5 kilos of torque. Very nice and super smooth servos. Have a look at their web site. http://www.kopropo.com/

Take Care,
Cheers, Patrick
__________________
H.A.R.M SX3 Expert, 08 Edition
Corally RDX phi Φ
XRAY XB8 TQ .21 Collari
Saint728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:10 AM   #9
Tech Elite
 
aussies1129's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: LAND DOWN UNDER
Posts: 3,485
Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Default

try this combo not to expensive and they work well
throttle futaba S3151
steering futaba S3050
cheers
__________________
Proudly supported by......
Premier Model Supplies Pty Ltd
H.E.I AUSTRALIA
XRAY*****PRO-LINE*****HUDY*****
-----FUTABA-----NOVAROSSI-----
aussies1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:53 AM   #10
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 4,148
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVICE4EVER View Post
I only rely to what LHS can supply us. and I think S9451 is the only servo they offer and not S9452. Reality really bites

S9451 is a good servo as well. Really the only difference between is the S9452 is smaller and therefore 5 grams lighter. The performance of them is pretty much the same.

KO servos are good as well, but they cost quite a bit more money than these futaba servos.
__________________
| Capricorn | Ybslow | Proline-Protoform | Johnny Bravo Racing | Desoto Racing | Murnan Modified | Matrix Tires | Powermaster Fuel |
Scott Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:35 PM   #11
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 81
Default

Just wondering why most of the Sanwa servo are analog and expensive than digital.
except for the SANWA DIGITAL ERG-WRX Servo which quite good also.

Last edited by NOVICE4EVER; 01-24-2008 at 10:00 PM.
NOVICE4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:44 PM   #12
Tech Regular
 
ESWLFSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Terra Ceia, FL
Posts: 326
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to ESWLFSE
Default

JR warranty and service are second-to-none so I buy JR for that reason. Airtronics, JR, Futaba, Hitech, KO all make very good servos now.
ESWLFSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 04:42 AM   #13
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 341
Default

For servos, suggest you do not mix brands. For example, a Hitec receiver and a Futaba servo or one Futaba and one Hitec servo. Further STRONGLY suggest you not mix servo type. For example, analogue for steering and digital for brake. In the case of the Futaba HRS receiver, it doesn't work with analogue servos at all. You can serious damage an analogue servo with the HRS receiver.

As for why it's good to match receivers with servos, I've never seen any hard numbers on servo response times with mixed gear. It seems the source of the rumors about problems with mixed gear tend to find their sources at distributors for radio gear. On the other hand, I've heard specs for servos are taken with a manufacturer's own radio gear (makes sense). Most manufacturers will say they 'Recommend brand X servos' and 'can't guarantee response Y' from other brands. Once again, this makes a lot of sense since each manufacturer will know the quirks of their servos best.

On servo selection: No problem with HiTec digitals but lost 4 analogue (all melted) using Hitec RX. Futaba? Even after seasons of use never a problem with the 9541 but my 9550 ceased up after only 2 months use. Go figure

Last edited by going4#1; 01-30-2008 at 09:40 PM.
going4#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 05:30 AM   #14
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 81
Default

confused i need clarification
are you saying generic receiver like hitex receiver is not compatible to analogue servos?
NOVICE4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 01:55 PM   #15
Tech Lord
 
Oasis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: * Sin Cal *
Posts: 10,336
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

He doesn't know what he's talking about....This is on using Different receivers with different servos, This is like saying if you have a Novak speed controller you can only run Novak motors..As far as using Analog servos and Digital Servos from different manufacturers, I have been doing this for years and I have never had any problems. I have been doing this hobby for over 23 years and I have never had any problems using different manufactures electronics..EVER..Now if what your saying is true..Why does LRP and Novak both make Receivers and yet they dont make servos, I've used both with different brands of servos and never had any problems..Something else to think about..Why do all the servo manufacturers use a standard plug nowadays..
Going4#1 You are correct on the HRS with analog servos..YOU WILL HAVE PROBLEMS if you use analog servos with a Futaba HRS receiver, This is due to the circuit board on analog servos not being compatible with the HRS signal. Going4#1 this is not a attack on you but when you post information that is only half correct backed with no facts you will get called on it..
__________________
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
Oasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
can i use an analog with a digital servo? jatoman1992 Radio and Electronics 5 10-28-2007 07:09 AM
Digital vs. Analog Servos mwcet8k Monster Trucks 19 06-14-2006 12:03 PM
Digital and Analog Servos voodoo Electric On-Road 2 10-04-2002 06:38 AM
Digital vs Analog servos nnick Electric On-Road 13 07-19-2002 09:44 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:20 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net