Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree65Likes

TC3 Forum

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 07:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by AudioStylz
There should be other guys at the track with TC3s, surprisingly there's still A LOT of people running this chassis but I am kind of surprised how hard it is to find any VTA setups online.
I found these set up sheets on my hard drive. Sharing just cuz.

The lack of set ups could be that most assumed the R/C guys would move on as the newer chassis came out. I mean, if VTA hadn't made such an amazing class, and allowed TC3's to still be competitive, would they be going for $20 on ebay by now?

Don't get me wrong, I like my TC3, but most guys buy the new stuff for on-road.
Attached Thumbnails TC3 Forum-david_tc3_lrg.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
tc3_standard_2007.pdf (33.5 KB, 153 views)
Old 03-01-2013, 02:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Is it just me or are a few things interesting about that sheet as compared to modern cars.

1. Links - usually you want them as short as possible - this setup has them at their longest point - which usually slows the suspensions response.

2. Positions on the towers - most modern cars try and laydown the shocks quite a bit, this one shows the shocks on the outside.

I am done VTA for the season now.. but I am going to be getting it ready and run it again next year.

James
Old 03-01-2013, 02:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Is it just me or are a few things interesting about that sheet as compared to modern cars.

1. Links - usually you want them as short as possible - this setup has them at their longest point - which usually slows the suspensions response.

2. Positions on the towers - most modern cars try and laydown the shocks quite a bit, this one shows the shocks on the outside.

I am done VTA for the season now.. but I am going to be getting it ready and run it again next year.

James
Old 03-05-2013, 09:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

All right. I wanted to be racing tonight but little issues here and there and a slightly longer then anticipated delivery of the speed control and motor delayed me a bit.

I finally have my TC3 99% ready to go. I have a few things to buy on my next visit to the track and that is, shock rebuild kit, spur gear and a couple pinions, and springs.

Hoping to get to the track on Thursday to do some tuning and adjusting. Really looking forward to it actually.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:01 PM
Tech Regular

Okay well I'm finally up and running! Took me the better part of a month to get it on the track. Today I spent most of my time getting the TC3 setup just in operational form. I was on the track for a total of 15 minutes, 3 minutes 1st run and noticed right away that the steering rack had an issue because it would not recenter all that well and had an issue with the rear end stepping out on corner exit throttle.

Fixed both issues and went out for another run that lasted 12 minutes.

I also have to thank BigBull? and Rojna for posting some of their cars setup a few pages back in this thread.

Currently running silver springs and 35wt oil in the front with green springs and 30wt oil in the rear.

I still need to get the TC3 to race weight, check camber, get TC4 chassis braces with shock towers to help the roll center, and adjust ride height. Currently at around 9mm.

Anyway, thanks again for help with setup, tips, and where to buy parts incase the track I race at is out of stock.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by AudioStylz
... and adjust ride height. Currently at around 9mm...

drop that TC3 down to 5mm!! Unless its a Rally TC3
Old 03-07-2013, 09:20 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Rojna

drop that TC3 down to 5mm!! Unless its a Rally TC3
LOL nah. It's at 9mm because the last time I raced this TC3 in Stock Foam I was racing on a fairly rough asphault track. Anything less than 7mm and you'd be scraping the chassis hard, 9mm made it just slightly scrape on the bigger bumps. Cool seeing sparks going down the 115' long straight under the lights lol.

Come to think about it, I probably would have ran better with the rally kit!

I just never got around to adjusting ride height today. Still in the swing of getting back into racing after a 4 month hiatus so my thought process of what I need to adjust and what adjustment does what is going to take some time. Tuesday I'll be looking at ride height, legal weight, shock position, roll center, camber, front toe, wheel base.....

Today during my 12 minute run I noticed after 4 minutes the tc3 would start getting looser with every lap I took. I was getting to the point that I just couldn't keep it in the right direction just coasting the corners.

I'll admit though, my driving skills were definitely on the rusty side!
Old 03-08-2013, 02:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

i have a tc3 i bought years ago just because ive always wanted one. i was about to sell it because it was just collecting dust and i wasnt using it. then i found out that people are still running them and i could turn it into vta car! ive been doing some reading on here about what i will need and slowly but surely will get everything i need and finally have some fun with it. i might even make a build thread for fun.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:08 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by slowclod
i have a tc3 i bought years ago just because ive always wanted one. i was about to sell it because it was just collecting dust and i wasnt using it. then i found out that people are still running them and i could turn it into vta car! ive been doing some reading on here about what i will need and slowly but surely will get everything i need and finally have some fun with it. i might even make a build thread for fun.
Yeah don't let the TC3 go man. I do suggest getting the TC4 chassis braces and TC4 front and rear shock towers. This will offer better camber adjustments as well as better shock options. Also if your TC3 has the original 1 hole lower shock mount arms, you can use them till they break or just upgrade right off the bat for the version 2 lower control arms. The difference is the version 2 have a pair of lower shock mounts for more adjustments.

Another tip, call to see if your hobby shop carries TC3 parts. My hobby shop does but is on a very limited supply so I have to order parts online.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:54 AM
Tech Addict

thx for the info. I need to look at it closely because I bought it off Ebay and my guess is that this one was raced often because of the amount of parts I got with it. since this is my first tc3 I have no idea what is stock and what is modded so I'll have lots and lots of noob questions.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:29 PM
Tech Elite

I did the same thing with my TC3's. Bought them used. I kept having steering and set up problems. Finally, I decided to take them COMPLETELY apart and use the manual and build them from scratch. I replaced anything that looked worn (steering racks, blocks) and then set them up per the manual. What a difference! It was like the engineers who designed them actually knew what they were doing or something!

Old 03-08-2013, 07:42 PM
Tech Regular

Yeah, these TC3 steering racks don't like to get too much crap in them, once they do they get really inconsistent and you can feel it. These must be kept clean on a regular basis.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:16 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com
I did the same thing with my TC3's. Bought them used. I kept having steering and set up problems. Finally, I decided to take them COMPLETELY apart and use the manual and build them from scratch. I replaced anything that looked worn (steering racks, blocks) and then set them up per the manual. What a difference! It was like the engineers who designed them actually knew what they were doing or something!

I plan on doing the same thing to my tc3. completely disassemble, clean, new bearings, replace worn/outdated parts with new or better ones, lube, and reassemble. I might look into doing the tc4 upgrades if I can find them for a good price if not I'll stick to what I have until they break.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:27 AM
Tech Addict

this is how it looks like right now

Old 03-09-2013, 01:20 PM
Tech Elite

Taking it completely apart will give you a chance to clean that puppy up too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.