Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 01:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
I was careful not to mention any track by name cause my comments on carpet as a racing surface were not intended in any way to be an indictment of this particular track, it's management, or the facility itself. From what I personally experienced in my one visit there, everything was top rank, so that explains why I lasted for 3 hours. I tried very hard to enjoy my time there, but finally gave up and went home. If you like carpet, this would be a great track for you and the hobby shop is excellent.
Yeah, I understood that since you were clear from the beginning and careful to leave out names. It was probably my mistake to mention names as well.

Your explanation is much appreciated; since getting back into RC, I've only been on carpet, so I was just asking to understand the differences.

I myself have a lot of fun on carpet, but everyone has different opinions which I respect.

All that aside, I think everyone knows TQ is a top notch facility. Out of all the tracks I've been to, Sean seems to have everything well-balanced. The race events are organized, great parts support, prices are competitive, inventory is always accurate, and sean's a nice guy and great racer on top of all that. In an environment where we've just lost 2 tracks in just as many weeks, I personally appreciate his effort and having somewhere to play with our toys
Old 09-04-2013, 01:44 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Racing4Evo
Reasons 1-3 either come with any track(asphalt or carpet) or they can be solved with an air compressor.

Reason 4-You must have been there on a bad day, but I totally understand your frustration especially if you are the lone wolf mini in a pack of HEAVy and FAST TC's.

Give it another try on a race day where the practice sessions are more controlled and other minis are running. I think you will be surprised at the competition on that dinky hot indoor rug.
Please, my not liking carpet racing has nothing to do with TQ racing. From everything I've heard about the track etc. it's a great place. I didn't like carpet long before it came into existence. As far as TQ goes, I do shop there and have on many occasions mentioned that they are great suppliers. If I ever run a carpet race, that would be my track of choice.

You're a great advocate for the track, so I applaud your enthusiasm and promotion of the facility. It's guys like you who make a track successful. I may give it another try, but not for a bit yet.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:11 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Given a choice, I'd race on asphalt tracks like Tamiyas. The only problem is...Canada. Short summers and frost heaves ruin all the fun.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:39 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

I enjoy indoor racing both carpet and dirt. I have noticed that some of the TC drivers do have a certain arrogance about the way they drive. In practice some seem to think that slower cars have no right to be out there. I used to just ignore it, but now being very old grouchy I will say something to them if I know them. If they are friends of mine we sometimes have slighted heated discussions. Most drivers are not like that. in my experience, there are a few off road guys like that, but not as many. One of the very professional on road drivers is Paul Lemieux. He is just the opposite of arrogant TC drivers. He is very down to earth and modest. I have seen him work with kids at the track and he is great! These arrogant drivers, who would like to have his skill, could learn a lot from him.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Given a choice, I'd race on asphalt tracks like Tamiyas. The only problem is...Canada. Short summers and frost heaves ruin all the fun.

I should count my blessings then...Tamiya is 1.5hrs away from me but I consider it like a journey to Canada.

I like asphalt but carpet is much more convenient for me right now...open late and on the way home. I think we have plenty of people that have grown to love carpet because they discover the next time they go outdoors, the tracks becomes some kind of super highway with huge lanes and are SO MUCH EASIER to drive.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:24 PM
Tech Elite

Please, my not liking carpet racing has nothing to do with TQ racing. From everything I've heard about the track etc. it's a great place. I didn't like carpet long before it came into existence. As far as TQ goes, I do shop there and have on many occasions mentioned that they are great suppliers. If I ever run a carpet race, that would be my track of choice.

You're a great advocate for the track, so I applaud your enthusiasm and promotion of the facility. It's guys like you who make a track successful. I may give it another try, but not for a bit yet.
I only advocate better racing. I go where ever the competition level is higher, so long as it's not too inconvenient drive wise. I'm just looking for faster guys to race against....that's the only way to get faster right?

You'd see me at Tamiya a lot if it were closer. TCS nats was I think my second ever race there and the first with the car I was using.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:16 PM
Tech Elite

I only advocate better racing. I go where ever the competition level is higher, so long as it's not too inconvenient drive wise. I'm just looking for faster guys to race against....that's the only way to get faster right?

You'd see me at Tamiya a lot if it were closer. TCS nats was I think my second ever race there and the first with the car I was using.
Glad you came out and raced the TCS Nats. I knew just about all the Mini racers, but can't place you. Hope you had a fun time and did well.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:16 PM
Tech Elite

Glad you came out and raced the TCS Nats. I knew just about all the Mini racers, but can't place you. Hope you had a fun time and did well.
Sorry, I wasn't racing mini. I ran GT2.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I like asphalt but carpet is much more convenient for me right now...open late and on the way home. I think we have plenty of people that have grown to love carpet because they discover the next time they go outdoors, the tracks becomes some kind of super highway with huge lanes and are SO MUCH EASIER to drive.
This.

Back on topic - I did a search in this thread for "screws", but no luck. On a new kit never assembled kit, can I ditch the stock self tapping screws and replace them with machine screws of the same length, or is that no bueno?
Old 09-04-2013, 09:33 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

For TCS or for your own amusement? Not sure about TCS, but I do this with all my minis and they hold up better.

About the carpet vs. asphalt thing: I'm jealous of you Cali guys one way or the other, you've got great permanent facilities for both and even a "cold" day at Aliso Viejo would be a treat.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:41 PM
Tech Master

You're good for TCS and for your own pleasure. I ditched mine loooooong ago. The plastic bits tend to not strip out as easily with machine screws as well.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know!
Old 09-04-2013, 10:52 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CraigMBA
Thanks, that's what I wanted to know!
It's better to partially tap the screw holes cause the machine screws get really tight. Also, if you use a 4X6mm flanged tube #50593, you can use machine screws on the front camber link and you can use longer screws here. Just be careful how you orient the tubes. the flange should be towards the camber link.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:02 PM
Tech Elite

Sorry, I wasn't racing mini. I ran GT2.
Now I understand your comments on the relative difficulties of the tracks. This is just my experience, but to me, TQ is a much easier track to drive. Please understand that we're talking about a Mini. It may be a totally different situation with a TC and the greater speeds.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:20 AM
Tech Adept

I'm still wondering which UJ's to go for guys, one of the Tamiya types or 3 Racing? It's for indoor carpet with kit motor if that makes a difference.
Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.