Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 02:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Team Ash
Got a question for the experts out there.
Raced mini last night, my mate had M03 and I have an M05. I was very happy with the car except when cornering. His car ran away at least 1-2 meters on every corner. We even swapped cars and the same result his car was way better through the corners. The only real set up difference is he has cvd's and I have dog bones.
My car washes lots of speed off, his carries speed right through, will dog bones do this? The corners are almost all very sharp 100deg+.
We both have ball diffs, the same shocks, he has team powers tyres and I have Spice. Both cars have silver can motors and are identicle on the straights. They both have plenty of grip with very little body roll and are both planted in corners. We have very different driving styles but when we swapped cars I beat him with his car so it is a set up thing.
Any suggestions?

Terry
Check how tight your diff is. You need a fairly tight diff to maintain speed on acceleration out of corners.
Old 11-27-2009, 02:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Diff

Diff is loose. I have been thinking of glueing it up so I might try that.
Thanks,
Terry
Old 11-27-2009, 02:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Terry,

I take it that you are using the Hobbywing system, if so how much drag brake do you have setup in the speedie? The speedie can be setup, so that when you lift off the throttle the car still maintains corner speed and only slows down due to friction. I run zero drag brake and use brakes as little as possible.

If you glue the diff you will lose steering. At the recent Nats cars one and three both used standard gear diffs. Jordan ran standard dogbones and still finished third with a standard brand new gear diff.

Only a suggestion.

Regards,

Calvin.

Last edited by caltek1; 11-27-2009 at 02:48 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-27-2009, 03:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

the set up to have an MO5 carry speed around the corner is different than the MO3, I have switched to the MO5, and I am still searching to get it just right to carry the coner the same as the MO3.

I do think the MO5 will be quicker once some more people get some set ups to work in various conditions. I run on very high bite asphalt, they key to have a fast MO3 was to have the car right at the point of wanting to traction ( grip ) roll.
I have the MO5 with a " safe " conservative setup, but it is 3/10ths off pace, when I switch to sticky tires ( S or A grips ) the car will go on 2 wheels in the corner.. I hope to try some other things Saturday.. going to try the adjustable camber, going to try 2 degree rear toe blocks, and I have a set of S grips with the outer tread glued with CA..

any one else want to share set up ideas for the MO5 ?
Old 11-27-2009, 03:48 PM
Tech Master

Default Corners

Calvin,
We are both running kit motors and speedy at the moment. (Hobbywing after Xmas). If I take a wide turn it doesn't wash so much speed but I lose still lose ground. If I follow his line it washes off lots of speed. It slows noticeably in the middle of the corners even with throttle full on. I am very happy with every other aspect of the car.

Terry

Originally Posted by caltek1
Terry,

I take it that you are using the Hobbywing system, if so how much drag brake do you have setup in the speedie? The speedie can be setup, so that when you lift off the throttle the car still maintains corner speed and only slows down due to friction. I run zero drag brake and use brakes as little as possible.

If you glue the diff you will lose steering. At the recent Nats cars one and three both used standard gear diffs. Jordan ran standard dogbones and still finished third with a standard brand new gear diff.

Only a suggestion.

Regards,

Calvin.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default ya

this sounds alot like my car (m03L) and a buddy of mines (m05) if I try and maintain same speed around corners as he has. my front just wheel chatters while he just takes off, if I slow down a bit (too much for me) it doesn't chatter as bad, but he still takes off on me. only real difference is that he has oil shocks and mine are the kit friction type.... if I was to switch shocks will that eliminate all, or even most of the chatter???

also I am slightly confused about putting glue on the sidewalls of my tires... you all are actually saying I put it directly on the outer sidewall, say so it is visable?? and did somone mention on the edge of the tread?? sorry ya'll just tryin to get things straight before I do something
a quick pic would do awesome, may even be easier than explaining....

Last edited by racerb; 11-27-2009 at 05:01 PM. Reason: stupidity
Old 11-27-2009, 05:06 PM
Tech Elite

The glue goes on the outside corner of the tread, and a little on the side wall, and only on the front, but only if you're having traction roll problems. This makes your tires slide if the car gets up on the edge of the tire, preventing traction roll.

Here's a pic. Notice the shiny edge of the tread. This tire was glued maybe 5 or 6 race nights ago.

Last edited by Timbulb; 11-27-2009 at 05:25 PM. Reason: add picture
Old 11-27-2009, 05:25 PM
Tech Adept

Anyone used the Xpress XPA-118 tyres for racing?

I am interested to know specifically how they compare to Tamiya Kit radial, M-Grip radial and S-Grip Radials for performance and wear.
Old 11-27-2009, 05:41 PM
Tech Addict

Default longest lasting/best wearing M03 tyre??

Hi guys. Whats the longest lasting/best wearing M03 tyre??
I'm really chewing them up with a 9T : but having alot of fun doing so....
Old 11-27-2009, 07:13 PM
Tech Master

Default ty

Hey timbulb, thank you for sticking the picture on.... worth a thousand words!!! any comments on wheel chatter or is it just too broad of a question (meaning could be a number of things)... from anyone....
Old 11-28-2009, 02:01 PM
Tech Master

Default Chatter

Originally Posted by racerb
Hey timbulb, thank you for sticking the picture on.... worth a thousand words!!! any comments on wheel chatter or is it just too broad of a question (meaning could be a number of things)... from anyone....
I think chatter could be caused by a few different things. Shocks could be a big part of it. It seems to me if your loaded tyre is gripping hard then releasing it would skip. I would try the glue trick. It might let the tyre slide a bit more. On the other hand if you dont think it's effecting performance does it matter?

Terry
Old 11-28-2009, 04:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

racerb, try using front universal/cvd instead of the dogbones. it might help reduce the chatter.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:41 PM
Tech Addict

Default Non Tamiya tires

Originally Posted by 1101
Hi guys. Whats the longest lasting/best wearing M03 tyre??
I'm really chewing them up with a 9T : but having alot of fun doing so....
Try using ABC Hobby Genetic slick tires, #24104. They are very grippy and lasts a long time. You can use the foam inserts included or experiment with HPI 24mm touring car inserts. They need to be cut down to size to fit well. I've tried the red inserts so far, and I'm quite happy with them. They are also reusable.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

MO5 settings:
What are you guys noticing with regards to ride height, to day i was trying different setting, for my car, and track conditions, my car would push when I had the front lower than the rear,,
any one else have experience with playing with ride heights ?
I was 3mm in the front, 4.5mm in the rear
Old 11-29-2009, 02:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

2009 Tamiya Mini World Championship

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.