Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 12:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default re

I found the kit setup to be a bit wonky actually. The main issue i found was the low front roll centre which made the car very "numb" at lower speed which made shicanes a chore! I dropped the link down to 3.5mm and the car was much better, response was back and would not over rotate thru the shicanes or feel loppy down the straight. Also changing to 2 degree rear camber helped settle down the car with the one-way and helped turn-in a bit.
Old 12-25-2007, 01:11 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TRFwhitey
I found the kit setup to be a bit wonky actually. The main issue i found was the low front roll centre which made the car very "numb" at lower speed which made shicanes a chore! I dropped the link down to 3.5mm and the car was much better, response was back and would not over rotate thru the shicanes or feel loppy down the straight. Also changing to 2 degree rear camber helped settle down the car with the one-way and helped turn-in a bit.
Is this carpet with rubber tyres? Also mod or stock,
cheers
Old 12-25-2007, 06:31 PM
Tech Regular

anyone experience the chassis arching? mine did when i put everything together. took off the top deck and the chassis became flat again. the top deck is kinda hard to fit in. i've rebuilded it but still same problem. therefore, no choice but to sand a very small fraction of the top deck. now it snugs in nicely with no chassis arching. its just a very small portion that has to be filed.. way less than 1mm...
Old 12-25-2007, 06:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigbutstupid
anyone experience the chassis arching? mine did when i put everything together. took off the top deck and the chassis became flat again. the top deck is kinda hard to fit in. i've rebuilded it but still same problem. therefore, no choice but to sand a very small fraction of the top deck. now it snugs in nicely with no chassis arching. its just a very small portion that has to be filed.. way less than 1mm...
You made me get up out of bed and go look at my 416. When I put a straight edge on the bottom of the chassis plate I can see a very slight arching, It is pulled up near the back of the chassis maybe .1 or .2mm. I think I am just going to drive it and see what happens. I should be on the track for the first time in about 24 hours.
Old 12-25-2007, 07:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JoeyE
Did the kit screws get any better?
The kit screws look like they are made out of the Corally duraluminum material, but I think they are still made of steel. They have a shinier finish compared to the 415 screws.
Old 12-25-2007, 07:16 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Fastforward
You made me get up out of bed and go look at my 416. When I put a straight edge on the bottom of the chassis plate I can see a very slight arching, It is pulled up near the back of the chassis maybe .1 or .2mm. I think I am just going to drive it and see what happens. I should be on the track for the first time in about 24 hours.

anyway, my archin was on the right side, where the battery packs are, its about 1.5mm arching. oh well, hopefully its not going to be a concern for you.
Old 12-25-2007, 07:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

How can we rename the thread? We can confirm its not a joke anymore. heh
Old 12-25-2007, 07:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I finished my kit yesterday and I really like how the front motor mount screws into the centerline of the chassis so chassis flex is equal side to side.

After CA'ing the arms, this 4WD kit is the tightest (in terms of tolerances) that I've put together and I've had a 415, Xray FK05, T2, RDX and T2'007 in the past few years.

Anyone know for TCS Racing, what Tamiya bodies do most racers use for the GT-1 class?
Old 12-25-2007, 07:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Corey

A bit off topic but would be willing to post or forward your 415foam setup.

I have been struggling miserably with this car in stock foam.

Thanks

Jamie

[email protected]
Old 12-25-2007, 08:02 PM
Tech Master

hmm, i never had arching issues with mines...

I did put the center post for the motor mount back on for flex balance, but put a piece of elec tape on it, as well as the servo mount to prevent any possibilities of arching from the batt bars.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

For TCS racing, I like the Toyota body. The SC430. I've used the NSX in the past with good results too. But now I just use the SC430. I also use the carbon wing set with them as well.

My kit should be here Friday. I should have spares on the way as well. We'll see how she does on cold asphalt.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

thanks Corey... i had thought of moving that, but i didnt have a lot of time for experimentation, and it was pretty good outta the box.

those that are having warpage issues, make sure you are NOT using the screw on the motor mount directly under the motor... that one is supposed to be empty. the spacer that bolts to the mount is the one that should have a screw in it...
Old 12-25-2007, 08:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default re

trf racer,

that was with 19t rubber. Will work in mod as well since that is mainly what i run and my setups dont vary much.

This was my setup for my 415. I ran MOD and 19T with this setup. works great on medium to high bite.

Front:

55wt w/2 hole
Xray 25 LB
+.5 degree toe
2 degree camber
#2 hole on shock tower
#3 upper arm position
3.75mm upper arm spacer
4 degree caster
4.5mm ride height
#3 bottom hole(short arms)
1mm sus. mount spacer front block(D block)
.5mm sus. mount spacer rear block(D bridge)
blue swaybar(kinked)

Notes:

I flipped the steering rack over to reduce akerman. Produced a smoother car, not to mention much easier to drive. However it does require you to remove some material from the fornt bulkheads to allow for clearance of the steering links. Remember this is only needed if using the MSX steering system with 4mm lower deck.
Rear:

40wt w/3 hole
Xray 17.5 LB
2.5 camber
4.5 mm ride height
#4 hole on shock tower
#2 upper arm position
1mm inner upper arm spacer
Middle hole on hub
2mm outer upper arm spacer
#4 bottom hole(short arms)
1mm sus. mount spacer front block(XB block)
1mm sus. mount spacer rear block(D block)
yellow swaybar

Hope this helps.
Old 12-25-2007, 09:07 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Turbonium
thanks Corey... i had thought of moving that, but i didnt have a lot of time for experimentation, and it was pretty good outta the box.

those that are having warpage issues, make sure you are NOT using the screw on the motor mount directly under the motor... that one is supposed to be empty. the spacer that bolts to the mount is the one that should have a screw in it...
yep, i did not use a screw on that.
anyway, any setups to share for high bite asphalt with foam tires, its a rather narrow track.
Old 12-25-2007, 09:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kenneth Tan
How can we rename the thread? We can confirm its not a joke anymore. heh
I say leave it...LOL...at least it doesn't say "TRF416 (no joak)"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.