Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 10:32 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by tamiyarcracer
Try it out and let us all know.
You noticed too
Old 05-12-2007, 10:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

I'm wondering what a good setup on an asphalt track would be too. I'm using the out of box setup and it's pretty good at the beginning of the race evening, but as the track gets more grip in the evening , I end up rolling the car when going hard into corners. I use 36s...most guys use softer tires.... I've tried to go easy with the traction compound in the later heats, but it doesn't seem to help. I'm guessing I need to get stiffer springs, heavier shock oil, and perhaps move some of the shock mounting positions out a bit... and maybe go down to 32 tires to make up for some of the slipping from the stiffer setup??? I haven't gotten into tuning these type of cars yet, so I'm guessing..... Anybody have a couple of setups for a short asphalt track with medium to high grip???

I had the rolling problem with my old XXX-S as well, so It's probably something having to do with the car setups...(or the driver )

Other than the rolling issue, I like how the Evo V handles... it turns pretty well and is a bit tougher than the XXX-S when it hits a wall....
Old 05-13-2007, 10:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Justinian
I'm wondering what a good setup on an asphalt track would be too. I'm using the out of box setup and it's pretty good at the beginning of the race evening, but as the track gets more grip in the evening , I end up rolling the car when going hard into corners. I use 36s...most guys use softer tires.... I've tried to go easy with the traction compound in the later heats, but it doesn't seem to help. I'm guessing I need to get stiffer springs, heavier shock oil, and perhaps move some of the shock mounting positions out a bit... and maybe go down to 32 tires to make up for some of the slipping from the stiffer setup??? I haven't gotten into tuning these type of cars yet, so I'm guessing..... Anybody have a couple of setups for a short asphalt track with medium to high grip???

I had the rolling problem with my old XXX-S as well, so It's probably something having to do with the car setups...(or the driver )

Other than the rolling issue, I like how the Evo V handles... it turns pretty well and is a bit tougher than the XXX-S when it hits a wall....
When you say rolling, do you mean it phyiscally rolls onto it's roof?
If so, there's two things that can cause this.... too stiff a setup, or too soft a setup. It sounds from description that it's the too soft option causing problems, although what sort of track is it your running on? I'm assuming a high grip asphalt?
If your happy with the balance, and just want to cure the rolling issue, first thing to try is removing the roll bars. This will let you know for certain if it is car being too soft that is the problem. If thats the case, get hold of some stiff bars (you can buy a complete Evo5 set, with soft, med and hard) and use them. Also look into goin up a spring rate all round, Tamiya Blues or HPI silvers are a good choice.

HiH
Ed
Old 05-14-2007, 12:00 AM
Tech Addict

anyone got a good setup for a low grip asphalt track?

thx
Old 05-14-2007, 12:01 AM
Tech Addict

double post
Old 05-15-2007, 11:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by TryHard
When you say rolling, do you mean it phyiscally rolls onto it's roof?
If so, there's two things that can cause this.... too stiff a setup, or too soft a setup. It sounds from description that it's the too soft option causing problems, although what sort of track is it your running on? I'm assuming a high grip asphalt?
If your happy with the balance, and just want to cure the rolling issue, first thing to try is removing the roll bars. This will let you know for certain if it is car being too soft that is the problem. If thats the case, get hold of some stiff bars (you can buy a complete Evo5 set, with soft, med and hard) and use them. Also look into goin up a spring rate all round, Tamiya Blues or HPI silvers are a good choice.

HiH
Ed

Yeah, it will lean hard then "turtle" on it's roof. I suspect the suspension is too soft. I just put on Blue springs all around and went to stiffer anti roll bars... I'll see this Friday night if that cures the problem.... Thanks for the advise!
Old 05-15-2007, 11:52 PM
Tech Addict

has anyone noticed any torque steer in their Evo 5? If so what motor were u running?
Old 05-16-2007, 10:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I have a Mamba Max 7700 in mine and no torque steer.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:19 PM
Tech Addict

how do the gears hold up?
Old 05-17-2007, 09:21 AM
Tech Addict

No problems so far. It could be that I don't punch it very hard off the line very often.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:23 AM
Tech Addict

No problems so far. It could be that I don't punch the throttle very hard off the line very often.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:04 AM
Tech Addict

quick question guys,

what is binding? and how can you tell when your gears are binding?

Cheers
Old 05-24-2007, 12:04 AM
Tech Addict

anyone?
Old 05-24-2007, 03:05 AM
Tech Champion

Binding is when the gear feel tight as you turn them. Best way to test it is remove everything from the end of the drive train you want to test, leaving just the diff and input shaft
Then slowly rotate the gears, and see if you can feel any tight spots in the gears. If there is, try adding or removing some shims, otherwise, replace the gears.

I did find that with the kit instructions, the shiming was close to spot on. There was a little bit of play in the input shafts, so I played around for a while to get that perfect.

On another point, my Evo has now been sold, someone on ebay got a bargin at £125!!!!!

HiH
Ed
Old 05-24-2007, 07:40 AM
Tech Regular

@Ed

Why have you sold your Evo5 ? Are you more satisfied with your MRE ?

By the way, have you ever run it on tarmac?

When yes, have you used the 1mm up rollcenter spacer under the toe blocks?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.