Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 02:51 PM
NFI
Tech Apprentice

Old 12-16-2009, 03:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by reenmachine
Honestly, if you feel that you need a shorter delay than .2 you're probably not using turbo correctly.

You exit a corner, and mash full throttle. If turbo were to kick in instantly you'd be throwing all that extra timing at the motor in a relatively low-rpm state, which is counter-productive. Let the motor have low-timing torque to get it spinning, and then add the turbo timing just before it winds out to get that extra RPM.

This is my generalization based on my own experience: if you think you need a shorter turbo delay, odds are you actually need a longer turbo delay.

Say you start out at .5 and the car doesn't seem quick enough. Naturally, you lower the turbo delay, and somehow it still doesn't seem quick enough. You repeat until you're at .2 and you're still not thrilled with the performance, and now you're overheating while still being outrun by the SPX guys who come off the track at 145ºF.

What gives? Using the automotive analogy that has been stated before, you're shifting into 2nd gear way too early.

I'll repeat the procedure since it hasn't come back up for a few pages:

1) Turn turbo OFF.

2) Adjust motor timing, ESC timing boost (not turbo) and gearing until you have gobs of punch and are unbeatable in the infield. You will be geared way, way shorter (higher numerically) than you ever have been before. We're talking FDR of 5.0+/- for 17.5 and 6.0+/- for 13.5 depending on the track. At this point you should be ripping everyone coming out of turns but getting pulled down the straight rather considerably. Make a note of the point at which you feel the car stops pulling.

3) Only now, start adding turbo. Start with 10 turbo and 1.0 second delay. Now, you will hit the straight, quickly top out, and then turbo will noticeably hit at some point in the straight.

4) Dial the turbo delay down by .1 sec. That point where it kicks in will be a bit closer to the point where it stopped pulling in step 2. Repeat in .1 second increments until the two points overlap.

5) Now your turbo delay is right. The last thing to do is to increase (or in some cases decrease) the turbo timing value to get the top end speed you need.

It takes a bit of time and work, but if you go step-by-step you will end up with a car that is both quick and fast.

Using the above approach I usually end up at .6-.8 turbo delay.

It sounds a bit complicated, but once you have gone through the procedure once you will have a feel for what the changes do and will be able to adjust for different tracks pretty easily.
+1 Very good info here

Originally Posted by bukil
x2
I run at the same track as Pete.

In addition to the above, if I want to get my turbo to come on early without sacrificing timing boost (acceleration), I gear lighter so I can lower my turbo delay. If I don't do this and just lower my turbo delay, my car feels sluggish.

I normally lower my timing boost so I can lower my turbo delay to get the turbo come on early, but I found out that I loose acceleration (Timing Boost).

My only beef with this speed controller is - It is not noob friendly. It took me a while to "tame" this monster. My buddy and I had to go to the track during the week to get our testing done (we only race every 2nd and 4th sunday of the month). So far, it paid off.
Once you go through it a couple of times it's extremely user friendly, actually for me it's hard to think of switching brands due to the simplicity of the Tekin. I know, I thought of switching once only to end up putting the blue brand back in the box and selling it off before I ever even ran it...lol
Old 12-16-2009, 03:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trerc
Once you go through it a couple of times it's extremely user friendly, actually for me it's hard to think of switching brands due to the simplicity of the Tekin. I know, I thought of switching once only to end up putting the blue brand back in the box and selling it off before I ever even ran it...lol
The "Not Noob friendly" part for me was what to change to get my car to behave the way I want it to on different track layouts. Changing the values were easy, but to actually comprehend/grasp what a "feature" does to the car, and it's variations with the other "features", was the hardest part for me. You actually need to know them so you can apply it to racing situations.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I hope Tekin is working fast on this and will release it in the next few weeks. This software updates taking 8 months is BS. What's even worse is the teaser info and team drivers commenting on it while the rest of us suffer.

I work in the electronics industry and it does not take that long to write and test code especially when they have there own test track. Being the RS is Tekin's biggest money maker currently I would think making there customer's happy would be a huge priority.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bkspeedo
I hope Tekin is working fast on this and will release it in the next few weeks. This software updates taking 8 months is BS. What's even worse is the teaser info and team drivers commenting on it while the rest of us suffer.

I work in the electronics industry and it does not take that long to write and test code especially when they have there own test track. Being the RS is Tekin's biggest money maker currently I would think making there customer's happy would be a huge priority.
You're talking about a bunch of racers who are willing to do anything to go faster, even if it means letting out the magic smoke. Tekin would be absolutely stupid to release software that was not correct. Look how many threads are started wondering why the new thing isn't out yet. Then two weeks later they start a thread about why they released it before it was perfect.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:41 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by stiltskin
You're talking about a bunch of racers who are willing to do anything to go faster, even if it means letting out the magic smoke. Tekin would be absolutely stupid to release software that was not correct. Look how many threads are started wondering why the new thing isn't out yet. Then two weeks later they start a thread about why they released it before it was perfect.
I can understand your point but if there are racers out there dumb enough to try settings out side of what they know should work than it's not Tekin's fault.

I personally would like to see beta versions of the FW released after they do proof of concept testing so the masses can comment on what needs to change. If Tekin wants a no-blame agreement signed than fine I'll do it.

It was very big disappoint from my perspective going to a big race like US Indoor champs and getting my #$% handed to me because Tekin was to worried about me not using the software correctly.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

The speedo is plenty fast. You act like you are getting blown away because everyone you race with has a BD.

In TC the speedo is great. In 1S there are some things for everyone to figure out. I have said this before that most people have the RS in the wrong settings with 2S lipo's. If you are slow you do not know how to set the speedo or car up. Or you have bad batteries. You cannot blame your short falls on the speedo.

I think since the timing advance feature was implemented to the RS this is the best all around speed control on the market.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I too work in the "electronics industry" and realize that to PROPERLY Write, Test, and Release new code does take quite a bit of time.

Take your time TEKIN, and give us the QUALITY products we have come to expect . I guess my ESC's are just more patient than others when it comes to FREE upgrades.

Jimmy
Old 12-16-2009, 03:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dodgeguy
The speedo is plenty fast. You act like you are getting blown away because everyone you race with has a BD.

In TC the speedo is great. In 1S there are some things for everyone to figure out. I have said this before that most people have the RS in the wrong settings with 2S lipo's. If you are slow you do not know how to set the speedo or car up. Or you have bad batteries. You cannot blame your short falls on the speedo.

I think since the timing advance feature was implemented to the RS this is the best all around speed control on the market.
I strongly agree. The speedo is already plenty fast.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:50 PM
Tech Elite

Obviously none of you have used a Mamba Max Pro or you would know the difference.

It's not like the FW for this Speedo requires a million lines of code. So getting a new version written and proof of concept working should take no longer than a few weeks.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

I can understand your point but if there are racers out there dumb enough to try settings out side of what they know should work than it's not Tekin's fault.

I personally would like to see beta versions of the FW released after they do proof of concept testing so the masses can comment on what needs to change. If Tekin wants a no-blame agreement signed than fine I'll do it.

It was very big disappoint from my perspective going to a big race like US Indoor champs and getting my #$% handed to me because Tekin was to worried about me not using the software correctly.
You're right. We never push the limits on anything. If you haven't noticed, people are still asking for 0 delay in turbo boost. If Tekin gives us what we ask for, THEY are the ones that have to deal with replacements and repairs. Even if they charge you for your own stupidity, they still have to staff the facility to provide these repairs.

Are you using the Tekin or the MM Pro?
Old 12-16-2009, 03:57 PM
Team Tekin

We try not to blow too much smoke. We just wanted everyone to know that we are working on an answer, as they expect. We prefer to get thru the inhouse engineering testing and out to the team where they can just show people instead of talk about it too much. Then people that see it perform can do the talking…. And based on how it looks so far they will be talking very soon

Writing the code only takes a few days. Figuring out what to write and making sure it works as intended can take days, weeks, months. We do not want to come up short or create new problems. We are expected to do our job and not use our customers as testers. You drive and we make it go fast...

Tekin Prez
Old 12-16-2009, 04:05 PM
Tech Champion

It hasn't taken 8 months between software updates. The last update was only released about 2 months ago.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TeamTekin
We try not to blow too much smoke. We just wanted everyone to know that we are working on an answer, as they expect. We prefer to get thru the inhouse engineering testing and out to the team where they can just show people instead of talk about it too much. Then people that see it perform can do the talking…. And based on how it looks so far they will be talking very soon

Writing the code only takes a few days. Figuring out what to write and making sure it works as intended can take days, weeks, months. We do not want to come up short or create problems.

Tekin Prez
i think the question is how soon for who?

i mean is v200 software even on tekins website?

i got my v200 software from a post in this thread and that was not posted from a tekin guy. others get it from emails or at races, etc...

when the software is released it should be for download straight from the website and not from a friend of a friend kind of deal.

if the latest updates or even v200 are available from the website i retract my statement but i don't see v200 anywhere on the download page.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

Obviously none of you have used a Mamba Max Pro or you would know the difference.
maybe you need to step your game up Bro...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.