Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pro-match Batteries

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 09:14 AM
Tech Regular

I was wondering if you guys could help me with this one. My charger has a fixed delta peak ( ), but it does have an LCD which shows the voltage of the packs. Should I just keep an eye on this until it goes down like 0.04 volts or something to know when the packs are charged??

Cheers
Crashmaster
Old 05-06-2004, 10:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

What type of charger is it?
Old 05-06-2004, 10:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Delta Peak?
I have looked through the support area at PMR's site, and it doesn't mention what the delta peak should be set for. It only says to charge at 5-6A - so, where should the delta peak be set?

Equalization Tray?
I also don't have a discharger or an equalization tray - how important is an equalization tray - for that matter, what is an equalization tray?

Discharger?
Without a discharger, what is the best way to tell if the batteries have been properly discharged? I have heard that over-discharging is a bad thing, but how do you know (short of using a voltmeter every minute) when the cells are discharged to the proper level?

Thanks!
Old 05-06-2004, 10:43 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by promatchrcr
What type of charger is it?
Its a BMI Digipeak14

Cheers
Crashmaster
Old 05-06-2004, 10:55 AM
Tech Master

Delta Peak: It is a type of peak detection some chargers use. If you have a fairly new charger chances are it is able to charge Ni-mh batteries(but check and make sure). That being the case it may not be adjustable and is preset from the factory and will more than likely be fine. To be safe monitor the battery for the first couple of charges to make sure it doesn't get overly hot. 125 deg. (give or take a couple of deg) is an ideal temp. if you want to be precise.

Equalization Tray: Just as it says it equalizes the batteries in a pack. That will give the best charge/discharge possible since all the batteries in a given pack are in the same state of voltageand yes it is important to have a tray and use regularly.

Discharger: Best thing to do is use a Deans Bulb discharger with a cutoff device or voltmeter to monitor the votage. The other option is when the car starts to slow it is safe to say the battery is discharged enough.(NOTE: That does not mean to run it to a crawl. That is very bad for the battery.)
Old 05-06-2004, 10:57 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Crashmaster
Its a BMI Digipeak14

Cheers
Crashmaster
Crashmaster: I am not familiar with that charger so the best advice for you is to contact the manufacturer and ask if it will charge Ni-mh batteries. If it does they have probably set the peak detect from the factory and it is not adjustable and should be fine.

Last edited by jaysimpson; 05-06-2004 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:01 AM
Tech Regular

Someone on a British forum said it worked ok for them with NiMH, giving them better punch than with a "competition charger", so I'm guessing its ok to use.

Thanks for your help
Crashmaster
Old 05-06-2004, 11:12 AM
Tech Master

Cool, sounds like you have it whipped then. Does the company that makes that charger have a website by chance? I would be interested in knowing more about it.

Thanks
Jay
Old 05-06-2004, 11:25 AM
Tech Regular

Not to sure of a web site, but I suppose in away it depends upon the guys definition of a "competition charger". Try searching on google or something for BMI RC, probly find something.

Cheers
Crashmaster
Old 05-06-2004, 11:26 AM
Tech Regular

Here we go:

BMI

Crashmaster
Old 05-06-2004, 11:32 AM
Tech Master

My charger is a new Duratrax Digital Piranha - that does have adjustable delta cutoff. The only batteries it has charged have been 6 cell KANs, and I think it is set for 6mv/Cell for them - is that in the ballpark for the ProMatch batts? This charger has like 10 user-definable preset charge settings.

What kind of ballpark money am I looking at for an equalization tray? Or for a factory built discharger?

I know I have seen places that tell you how to build your own discharger, so I might look into that and put that money toward an equalization tray.

I want to be sure I take care of the batteries, and do it right.
Old 05-06-2004, 01:29 PM
Tech Addict

Default RCtoyguy

I have the same charger, it does allow you to set delta peak. Read the directions. Its in one of the menus. I go for 7 per cell and they are PLENTY warm when done. It detects different than some so be conservative.

David Root
Old 05-06-2004, 01:37 PM
Tech Master

I KNOW it lets you set it --- and I know how to set it - that why I was asking what it should be set TO.
Old 05-06-2004, 02:06 PM
Tech Master

Here is the info for prices on the trays and Deans discharger
http://www.promatchracing.com/battac...%20Maintenance

as for the peak detect settings try 6mv and go from there. It's better to start low and go up if you need too.

David: Try and not be so harsh, "read the directions" It makes people get defensive. Thanks for helping though!!
Old 05-07-2004, 06:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.