Wiki Posts
Search

Proposed R.O.A.R. rules change

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 07:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fred_B
Boosted 17.5 is a good speed for an experienced racer but it's too fast for new racers. For the most part onroad needs new racers to grow. There are several ways to bring in new people but if the slowest ROAR class is too fast they will quickly get frustrated and quit. I've seen this happen countless times.

13.5 is a nice inbetween class but we need more racers at the track before it will work.

Like EA said mod is a totally different animal compared to stock. It really is the next step for experienced racers that want to go fast.
then im not sure it matters much. New racers will likely not be attending ROAR Carpet nats.

I do understand the point you make- but dont feel it is all that relevant for a national event. Though, club racing- certainly.

Yesterday was my first time ever using a boosted esc. I was astonished at how tuning this could translate to so much on a track. SO! much!.

I feel this is a HUGE selling point for a PRO stock class- and at the same time, feel it should be left COMPLETELY out of spec racing.

this is absolutely something a beginner has no business playing with. Hell- if not for someone with a lot of experience showing me what means what-- i had a car that was un-drive-able fast. I still have no clue what all of the adjustments are and need to find an instruction manual asap..lol.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:02 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Keith Billanti
You're also writing from a country that is the size of what- a few states?

We definitely need the different regions for travel purposes- but also for climate differences.. Some parts of the country race certain classes at specific times during the year
Sorry, yes in a round about way thats exactly my point...

Things seem a lot more clear cut here. We don't need to worry about different regions within the BRCA, it is what it is.

Do the rules change within different regions?

And if so, is it purely for climate reasons? (totally understood).

I am only asking as hopefully something that could be overly complex, may not need to be.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The stock rules that are applied to Nats should be the same rules as the club level. Yes some racers with relatively low skill levels run at ROAR nats every year. Normally these are local racers. Shouldn't the rules at Nats be the same rules that they club race with?
Old 01-17-2011, 08:33 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Fred_B
The stock rules that are applied to Nats should be the same rules as the club level. Yes some racers with relatively low skill levels run at ROAR nats every year. Normally these are local racers. Shouldn't the rules at Nats be the same rules that they club race with?

Absolutely! this is why i proposed a stock and pro stock class

Both spec'd motors, but in pro stock we have no esc/battery limitations.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:34 AM
Tech Master

tc3team== no, rules are the same across the board for different regions. Really, it is just a way to divide the country up.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:59 AM
Tech Champion

tc3team== no, rules are the same across the board for different regions. Really, it is just a way to divide the country up.
ah ok, thanks for the clarity
Old 01-17-2011, 11:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i had a car that was un-drive-able fast.
It would have been easier to drive on foams

Sorry, just couldn't resist
Old 01-18-2011, 12:47 PM
Tech Master

Na- wouldnt have helped

it was un-drive-able because it "hit" at around 7/8 of the strait... Not too fast..
Old 01-18-2011, 08:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I run boosted 17.5 TC and love it...its what I run at my home track and when I travel. Almost all of the tracks in my area (Southeast) run the same class structure as IIC and Birds and it works well. Having said that:

If we are doing away with boost completely, I'd like to see 17.5 stock, 10.5 superstock, and open mod. I don't see a need for a 21.5 class at the regional/national level. Individual tracks are more than capable of running whatever rules they see fit for a sportsman/novice class. At our track, VTA is kind of the entry point for on-road, but some tracks need a "run what you brung" class, or Short Course on carpet class, or whatever it takes to bring in the new racers. Non-boosted 10.5 is probably a better stepping stone to mod than boosted 17.5 anyway just because of throttle feel. Like EA said, just because the lap times are close between boosted 17.5 and mod doesn't mean the cars drive anything alike. If the point of a super/prostock class is to prepare racers to run mod, then the cars should drive more like mod cars drive.

If timing/boost is going to stay, I think 17.5 spec, 17.5 open, and mod is about as good as it is going to get, at least for touring car. That structure obviously works as it is in place at big events like IIC and Snowbirds, and seems to be popular all over the country. I enjoy running boost because I enjoy tinkering with the speedo settings and trying different things, but I'm kind of an egghead and not everyone likes it. So be it. Lets race

-rocky b

Last edited by flatspunout; 01-18-2011 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:31 AM
Tech Champion

+1 flastspunout.

The way I look at nationals is that it's a place for TALENT to be shown to all.

Part of showing talent involves racing at speed.

Where is the display of talent in say, a 21.5 class - which is quite possibly going to be entertained by sponsored guys and crazy C rated lipo's?

VTA, yes, it has a place for 21.5...

but sedan?

really????

(IMO only) no.

Whats next? a 25.5 class.... or a 55t rock crawler brushed motor in a sedan class?
Old 01-19-2011, 08:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc3team
Whats next? a 25.5 class.... or a 55t rock crawler brushed motor in a sedan class?

I can build you a mean 55t

Later EddieO
Old 01-19-2011, 11:21 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default TC Classes

Novice TC - 21.5 non boosted/ Club Race Only / No Regional or Nat. Events

Stock TC - 17.5 non boosted/

Super Stock TC - 17.5 boosted ( boost allows stock TC drivers to move up to Super Stock without needing a different motor and super stock guys to go fast without needing to buy a 13.5 or 10.5. This is the best way to transition back and forth from Stock TC to Super Stock TC depending on the caliber of competition at an event.

Mod TC - Open Motor and Speedo

Foam is dead for TC and should stay that way. Rubber tires in all TC classes but 12th scale is best on foams.

I know this already seems to be the consensus but I wanted to give this class system my vote.

Mark D.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TRESFR

Novice TC - 21.5 non boosted

Stock TC - 17.5 non boosted

Super Stock TC - 17.5 boosted

I wanted to give this class system my vote.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:52 PM
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

apparently MrPond has already made a decision to ban programmable speedo's for all non-mod classes. to me this makes $600 worth of hardware useless. (13.5 boosted 1/12 is my comfort limit), and is an obvious ploy to provide market space for mfg's that are incapable or unwilling to compete with programmable speedo's. the bs arguments of the complexity of programmable speedo's is just that, bs. maybe its just me, but learning to fiddle a tekin/RS with a hotwire was much less difficult than learning to cut a good comm and achieve a good surface (i was never able to do so )

so, i propose that a new thread be formed where 'we' the people identify locals in our regions that we will promote for the next election and undue this stupidity at the next ROAR election.

come to think of it, the banning of programmable ESC's could prove to be a very useful ploy to significantly boosting ROAR membership!!
Old 01-19-2011, 05:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TRESFR
Novice TC - 21.5 non boosted/ Club Race Only / No Regional or Nat. Events

Stock TC - 17.5 non boosted/

Super Stock TC - 17.5 boosted ( boost allows stock TC drivers to move up to Super Stock without needing a different motor and super stock guys to go fast without needing to buy a 13.5 or 10.5. This is the best way to transition back and forth from Stock TC to Super Stock TC depending on the caliber of competition at an event.

Foam is dead for TC and should stay that way. Rubber tires in all TC classes but 12th scale is best on foams.

I know this already seems to be the consensus but I wanted to give this class system my vote.

Mark D.
wow i really like that!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.