Wiki Posts
Search

Proposed R.O.A.R. rules change

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 06:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie
I am absolutely not against ROAR. They have done much more good for all RC over many years. But with what seems to be sustained popularity, USTVA has their set of rules that seem to be working without membership fees. Why don't USVTA/USGT folks (Rob K) come up TC rules for both stock and super stock? Rob do you think this is possible? Is this something you'd like to do? I know we ran "World Stock Sedan" in the Hurricane series....kinda a hybrid of USGT and Stock TC...just thinking out loud...
I have enough problems as it is
Old 05-30-2011, 06:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Team Paradyme
Hmmmm, I always thought that a public forum was to show all sides of a situation, not only the authors.
There has been nothing stopping you or anyone else for that matter, from expressing your opinion. Funny how when I express my opinion that this thread has run it's course and is only getting repeating opinions you feel offened.In MY opinion this thread is no longer producing any NEW arguments. Hell let the thread stay open if this is all you have in your life to make you feel useful.
I started the thread in hopes that someone from R.O.A.R. MIGHT read some of the posts and consider their decision at little further. BUT if you need it to be open so you and others can keep "BEATING THE DEAD HORSE" then by all means have at it.R.O.A.R. has made it's decision and this thread will NOT influence them at all.
Half want boost and half don't, and that is from my reading all of the posts.That will not change no matter how long the discussion keeps going on.
Funny how when some one starts something and then when it has no longer become usefull guys like you feel your freedom has been infringed upon and feel the need to claim foul. So go a head keep discussing something that is a moot point.
Now if you need, I can give the definition of any of the words I used if your small mind can't figure them out!
Old 05-30-2011, 06:10 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Jeff Cuffs
Well if you are popping more motors in boost then not in nonboost then maybe you need to work on gearing.
That is the problem, you don't always know when you're gonna do it. The race last year when I roasted the motor, I finished my last lap and 6 feet past the loop the magic smoke came out. That's actually perfect gearing if you're scoring at home

I don't know if you guys just run the same program everywhere with the esc and change gears..maybe that's why you're having more success. We have a lot of parking lots and one giant gas car sized track, and there is a huge difference between those two that is more than just a gear change.

I just find the edge is way easier to recognize without boost. Does that make sense?
Old 05-30-2011, 06:12 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by hairy
So go a head keep discussing something that is a moot point.
At the least, you used the word moot correctly, and i thank you for that.

signed
the "mute point" police
Old 05-30-2011, 06:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CarbonJoe
After almost 50 pages, how about a quick summary:

1) Just about everyone agrees that we need a beginner class. Not sure why ROAR went with 21.5 when VTA is using 25.5. Blinky makes sense for this class. A lot of posts ask why does every class need to run blinky mode, since Sportsman should be the beginner class. Not every class needs to be a beginner class. Even if Sportsman is TC and not VTA, if the two shared a common powertrain, one could move between classes with a simple body and tire change. At least when someone decides to move up, they could sell their existing equipment to someone running the other class.

2) Some claim that realism is needed to draw new racers to the hobby. VTA is perfect for this vs. touring car, with their generic body styles. Or even RCGT, which at least uses recognizable bodies.

3) Not everyone agrees that the rest of the "spec" classes should be blinky only. Some feel leeway should exist to allow boosted classes, possibly based on track size. A faction argues that boost makes motors run cooler, others argue the opposite. Both sides argue that if your motor is too hot, your gearing isn't right.

4) Many more people don't want to have their existing ESCs obsoleted by decree, when they meet the rules for blinky mode right now. It doesn't please most of today's racers that, in the interest of cost controls, the vast majority of existing racers will need to spend more money to go "backwards".

5) Some people imply that selected manufacturers seem to be pushing their agenda behind the scenes to force all spec classes back to no timing ESC classes. Same goes for locked timing motors. People fear that this will result in "ESC/Motor/Battery of the week/month."
I agree and you forgot there is the group that just wants to keep posting even if it has NOTHING to do with the original post!

There is no real one answer to the question at all. WE as the racers have the ability to control the hobby alot more than most people think and the manufactures are very aware of that fact. If you want boost then run it if not then don't it's your choice and R.O.A.R. is by no means the LAST and only word on the subject. I don't like the rule of no boost so I have voted for that with my dollars.After being a member since 1988 I have chosen to not renew this year because I don't like the direction they are heading.

This thread has been open for five months and had over 700 posts and the situation is still the same BUT some feel that their right to expression is being infringred upon because I would like to close the thread. WOW WHAT JOKE!!!!~!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by hairy; 05-30-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hairy
I agree and you forgot there is the group that just wants to keep posting even if it has NOTHING to do with the original post!

There is no real one answer to the question at all. WE as the racers have the ability to control the hobby alot more than most people think and the manufactures are very aware of that fact. If you want boost then run it if not then don't it's your choice and R.O.A.R. is by no means the LAST and only word on the subject. I don't like the rule of no boost so I have voted for that with my dollars.After being a member since 1988 I have chosen to not renew this year because I don't like the direction they are heading.

This thread has been open for five months and had over 700 posts and the situation is still the same BUT some feel that their right to expression is being infringred upon because I would like to close the thread. WOW WHAT JOKE!!!!~!!!!!!!!!!!
+1. Nice summary.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:03 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by UltegraSTI
its the same bit as brushed. people will try and squeeze every bit they can for more speed. that and the guy who had setup his car has good times knows how to drive keeps up on the conditions will generate more corner speed and that in turn will yield the motor having to work less to go around the track.

its clear many of you young bucks never dealt with brushed in any significance (lotta folks prop up their experience level as if it helps them over come the 'bigger dick policy' george carlin so famously outlined). The fact that if some1 like me, or another joe racer, or new guy couldnt go put on the same gear ratio as jeff cuffs, larry fairtrace, jason schreffler, robbie dodge, mike blackstock, paul lemieux etc etc etc even if our equip was the same b/c those guys can hold better lines, drive better longer, set their cars up well and thus their motors generated less work, less ampload, thus less heat. their motors survived, u were left to either eat up ur motor tryin or u had to run a tooth or 2 short til u got better around the track. but no1 wants to hear that. people just wanna biatch about it now that it hurts to the tune of 80bux or so instead of 25. Same as if 1 of the above drove ur car or u drove theirs (if they were overly nice). ur motor stayed cooler when they drove or sorted ur setup out, and their car ran hotter w/u sawin on the wheel.

trust me, a big part of me wants to go back to brushed. where all the speedos were dumb, and the motors were at least cheaper. that and like prgm'g, u had to apply some thought and effort to settin up ur motors-what u were doin was just mechanical not binary.

R
Great post

Sometimes, you have got to accept that usually the fastest car driven by the one with the most consistancy is the one that wins the race and man up to the fact that it wasn't yourself.

We are racing cars that give results of tenths of a second difference per lap, and can be finishing a race with that kind of difference too.

I have seen racing change so much over 17 years, some of it good times, some of it bad times - but if you find a good bunch of guys to race with it will usually be good racing too

You make your racing what it is, if you don't like where you race, you go somewhere else until you do

Not everyone likes the technical aspect to brushless motors, but it is here to stay.