Search

Losi 8ight building and setup

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 12:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JRRobiso
Need help!!!

What's a good starter box for the Losi 8B besides the Losi brand, since I believe the Losi one hase some issues in regards with the motor burning out?

Thanks for any advice!
Team Magic X5 Turbo II Starter Box. It has awesome torque, but is best used with 2 stick packs because of the speed of the wheel. This last weekend I was helping Kcdzim break in his C6BB and the battery was a little low, and it still turned over the C6BB fine, unless of course it stopped at TDC.

The Hard Racing box is just like the X5, but with bigger motors, and I believe it spins faster also.

The small blue OFNA truggy box is great also.

I just prefer the Team Magic look.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:20 PM
Tech Addict

Arrow

Originally Posted by micrors4guy
AE box for me
Originally Posted by sport10
Same here and it does not need any mods to work either.
Thanks for the info.

How much does the AE box cost?
Old 10-18-2007, 12:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sport10
Same here and it does not need any mods to work either.
Neither does the chrome top .
Old 10-18-2007, 12:29 PM
Tech Addict

Arrow

Originally Posted by rezenclowd3
Team Magic X5 Turbo II Starter Box. It has awesome torque, but is best used with 2 stick packs because of the speed of the wheel. This last weekend I was helping Kcdzim break in his C6BB and the battery was a little low, and it still turned over the C6BB fine, unless of course it stopped at TDC.

The Hard Racing box is just like the X5, but with bigger motors, and I believe it spins faster also.

The small blue OFNA truggy box is great also.

I just prefer the Team Magic look.
Thanks also for your input. I'll look into that as well.

However, which box would be the best and that doesn't cost an arm and leg? I'm also willing to get a used one to save some $$$.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

the truggy box come put together and is alot like the mugen box. its awesome and I think you would be very happy with it, plus its pretty light.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JRRobiso
Thanks also for your input. I'll look into that as well.

However, which box would be the best and that doesn't cost an arm and leg? I'm also willing to get a used one to save some $$$.
Usually a starter box is a one time purchase. Spend the dough for something you will like, and first of all, something that can turn over an engine that needs to be broken in. Most good starter boxes cost upwards of $80.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:53 PM
Tech Addict

You can get the AE or TTR starter box (slight cosmetic differences are the only difference in the two). They are fairly cheap and work really well.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:48 PM
Tech Master

Hey stay away from the Team Magic X5 Turbo II worst product I've ever had the misfortune of purchasing. On mine the belts striped there teeth twice then i put in a COMPLETE new internals package and it done it again (to be fair all replacement parts were supplied by TM free).

At this point i decieded not to use it again, REMOVED the motors, installed them in my old mugen box. I now have a box that'll turn anything over fast enough and with enough torque to RACE with
Old 10-18-2007, 06:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hey no fair. How did you get parts for the TM box. I talked to someone with Team Magic once a day for 9 weeks and never got my problem solved. My box is stuck in a bottom drawer now. Probably never to be used again. Finding belts/pullies for that thing is a bunch of BS. I found parts from the Sportwerks cyclone box. They are the same thing. But still couldn't find the belts cause the TM box uses a "Advanced Gear Reduction" system or some crap like that. The one pulley in there uses a completely different belt than anything else. It worked great when it was together.

I use the Losi box now. Haven't had problems with it. I tried to set it up with the TM motors one time. But with different pinions, belts, pulleys I couldn't get it to work. Oh well.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

My tire choice input....

I always go by how soft or hard the surface is, along with how damp it is.
ie, if a tire loads up and looks like a mud slick coming off the track wider lug spacing is needed.
More rubber on the track means more traction, wether it comes from pins flexing to lay more rubber down, or a nice soft compound with tight spacing laying more rubber down.
ie, on hardpack/bluegroove, a taper pin will have FAR more traction then a mugshot, even though the mugshot has more flex on the surface.

Hard pack/blue groove choices...
Taper pin
Inside Job
Cell Blocks
Switch
Holeshots or crimefighters are safe, but usually not fastest for this
..or similar

Some sand on top of dry firm surface(least traction, like before a good track grooves)...
Holeshots
Crimefighters
Komodos or K2
Jolly

Loamy, or softer surface, damp or dry...
Crimefighters
Panther Step pins
Komodo 2
Multi pin
TL Step Pin

Loamy wet, or muddy...
Mugshots
Step pins
Crimefighters

You may notice that Crimefighters are always a "Decent" tire? In mud they lessen traction rolling. On Blue groove they also lessen traction rolling....On sand, they work well, on normal tracks they are usually the best.
Our Florida State Series driver Ryan Eckert ran them at EVERY race in the series last year and won overall. We had all these conditions thru out the 8 race season(10 months long), .

I choose compound based on race duration, since the softest tire is almost always the fastest, unless it won't last, or is too hard for an average racer to avoid the marshal's help.

jmo
...Jim
W.E.D.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:14 PM
Tech Elite

If you need parts for the Team Magic box or any of their products, go to www.racedayhobbies.com If you just so happen to need a TM part that they dont have, give Sam at Raceday a call.

Honestly its one of the better boxes out there. Your belts were probably set too loose. Im thinking about picking up the HARD box just because it has a bigger motor
Old 10-18-2007, 07:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

My belts were a little loose when I first started using it. I tightened them up and then stripped a belt and pulley a few weekends later. I call it a learning experience. LOL. It was no big deal to me at the time cause I thought I'd be able to get replacement parts.

Raceday kind of angered me. I emailed and called them and the person I spoke with was kind of short with me. Like they didn't have the patience to help or something. But I spoke with others too and they just didn't seem to want to help. All I was trying to get was the pulleys they had posted on their website. Their response was simply this; "If there isn't a buy it now button beside the product then we don't have it." That's it. So I said thanx and went elsewhere. Even Trinity gave me the run around. I hate to put negative comments about people but I'm just stating my story I guess.

I'd really like to get the box going again cause it is powerful and a nice box. It's made of aluminum and light weight compared to a lot of others. Just like you had posted several months back, the box works with the losi buggy very well. I just can't find the parts for it. But that's water under the bridge now so no biggie.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:32 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tex1
I have seen this on a lot of the guy's setups. How do you run so little travel in the rear and not beat your car to death? Now we run on tracks with no real back sides for the landings but the car likes to rotate like crazy with a 106mm rear droop setting.

Do you have landing ramps on your tracks jumps? We have 3 jumps that land flat so I run 96mm front and 109 - 110mm in the rear.

I think it is funny how many people have driven the Losi and run full droop and don't know how powerful of an adjustment it really is. With this car you can really feel it. 2mm can be considerable in getting the most out of your suspension.
TEX
Most have landing ramps after the jumps. There are certain situations that I punch over a small jump leading into a up-hill section and flat land on the up side. Its usually not a problem for me.

I have only run between 105mm to 106.5mm rear droop. The one time I ran 105mm the car had a bad push going into a tight turn hard on the brakes at the end of the straight. So, I mostly run 106mm. Maybe I can experiment with more droop when I get to some practicing. I don't get much time at a track.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Questions??

Jim -
I could not help but notice you did not list Knuckles.... Any thoughts??

They are really cool when the track is grooved either heavy or moderately.

I wish they would make this tire in M3 and R2 compounds as well. That is a Proline issue for another conversation.
TEX
Old 10-19-2007, 08:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Instead of Knuckles try Medial Pro Vega tires. They are awesome!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.